Fleck putting RTB into Final Four

I think a lot of people were saying it was viewed as a positive if PJ had something to do with it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I’m sure that post was directed at me. Never mind the OP so cleverly mentioned me by name and all I said was that RTB is more PJ promotion than it is U of M promotion (which it most certainly is) - sounds better to ring the quest to end all negativity bell again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't think PJ Fleck or the U had a thing to do with these oars, and it's just a coincidence. NCAA and some committee made them as locally-appropriate welcome gifts. Boats, lakes, woodsy stuff, and canoes are part of the state's lore and brand (including the Final Four logo along with 3 of the state's 4 pro sports teams) long before PJ and RTB showed up.

No way! I've totally read on here before that oars have nothing to do with Minnesota, but bricks do.

Think of it this way, and be honest....

If you polled 1,000 random college football fans from around the US, and asked them what they associate “RTB” with - what % would go with:
A) WMU
B) UMN
C) PJF

I would guess somewhere around 5%, 10%, 85%. If my guess is anywhere near correct then how could one realistically argue that PJ doesn’t benefit from the brand and that it isn’t self promotion? Some U of M (and WMU) promotion may come along with it - but let’s not be blind.

If you think giving each final 4 team a couple oars is really going to help MN football then you just aren’t being realistic. The U would be better off spending that $ on an actual U of M promotion and/or fan engagement. Of course, this realization requires one to look at PJF in a way most refuse to do.

I don't care if 85% think of PJF when they think of RTB, because PJF is the head coach of the UofM.

If you polled 1,000 random college football fans from around the US, and asked them what school PJF coaches for, what percent would say the Gophers?

You think of PJ now, you think of the Gophers.

He benefits from his brand, and the Gophers benefit from his brand. If he succeeds off his marketing, the Gophers succeed.

I don't care if 85% think of PJF when they think of RTB, because PJF is the head coach of the UofM.

If you polled 1,000 random college football fans from around the US, and asked them what school PJF coaches for, what percent would say the Gophers?

<b>He benefits from his brand, </b>and the Gophers benefit from his brand. If he succeeds off his marketing, the Gophers succeed.

OK. Not sure if you realize this, but the bolded part of your post was my whole point. Your response is valid - the “he doesn’t benefit because 100% of RTB proceeds go to charity” or the intent of the side comment made in the opening post simply are not.

He benefits from his brand, and the Gophers benefit from his brand. If he succeeds off his marketing, the Gophers succeed.

PJF being the coach and Minnesota football are inextricably intertwined. Without each other, they technically do not exist. Anyone, anyone that thinks PJF is doing this for himself doesn't get it and never, never will. Minnesota would win the National Championship and a huge pile of "fans" would bitch that PJF held up the trophy by himself at the presentation ceremony. They just hate PJF. No matter what.

Core native Minnesotans hate, hate positive personalities, and in fact, they really hate winners with that trait. Apparently, winners remind them that everyone should always be as miserable as the most miserable person in the room, office, state. 2nd place is fine, because "you're a loser on the field, but loved in our hearts". Hubert Humphrey's biggest detractors hated his upbeat personality. Thank god he lost in 1968, so we can love him.

Ugh. It's why I really want to see him succeed at it all--mostly to shove it down the throats of his detractors. That's a win for me.

PJF being the coach and Minnesota football are inextricably intertwined. Without each other, they technically do not exist. Anyone, anyone that thinks PJF is doing this for himself doesn't get it and never, never will. Minnesota would win the National Championship and a huge pile of "fans" would bitch that PJF held up the trophy by himself at the presentation ceremony. They just hate PJF. No matter what.

Core native Minnesotans hate, hate positive personalities, and in fact, they really hate winners with that trait. Apparently, winners remind them that everyone should always be as miserable as the most miserable person in the room, office, state. 2nd place is fine, because "you're a loser on the field, but loved in our hearts". Hubert Humphrey's biggest detractors hated his upbeat personality. Thank god he lost in 1968, so we can love him.

Ugh. It's why I really want to see him succeed at it all--mostly to shove it down the throats of his detractors. That's a win for me.

So you are the voice of love and positivity?

PREACH!

PJF is not MN football. When he’s gone the program will still be here.

PJF for his first two seasons was consistently one of the least positive people around the program. It’s changing this year which is nice to hear. We can compete now.

PJF for his first two seasons was consistently one of the least positive people around the program. It’s changing this year which is nice to hear. We can compete now.

Say what? Least positive is not the same as you hearing something and being negative. For PJ to talk about the challenges that the program and his players have faced should not put him in the category as “least positive person.” I would say that he went to some wells often, bringing up the youngest team, offensive line numbers, and injuries... maybe too often. But that’s not PJ being negative.

No way! I've totally read on here before that oars have nothing to do with Minnesota, but bricks do.

I think RTB works really well with Minnesota. The Vikings were the ultimate boat-rowers, and that's worked well here for a football team name. I do Fleck and his crew could have done a better job creatively integrating RTB and the state's lore.

The real quarrel people have with it is that it's on loan from Western Michigan.

So are you saying PJ uses oars as a tribute to MN and not to represent the RTB slogan he started when MN was only his dream?

And if you were being honest - which we know is never your top priority - you would have said that you have totally read on here before that oars have nothing to do with <b>the University of </b>Minnesota <b>football program </b>, but bricks do. Which, of course, is true - but wouldn’t have allowed you to bring up past coaches yet again.

Serious question - at some point, PJ Fleck will no longer be the coach of the Gopher football program. He might coach at the U for 30 years, and retire as a beloved and successful coach. Or, he might leave for another job. Or he might even be fired. Anything is possible.

But - the point is - once PJ Fleck is no longer the coach of the Gopher Football program, what happens to RTB? what happens to the oars? If the Gophers use RTB and the oars long enough, do they get to keep them - like a common-law marriage? Or do the Gophers have to stop using RTB and oars the day Fleck leaves?

And, to the bigger issue - Fleck can promote himself AND promote the Gopher program simultaneously. It is not an either-or situation.

FWIW, RTB and oars were associated with Fleck before he came to MN. Given a choice, I would rather see the Gopher coach - any coach - promote and highlight long-standing Gopher traditions, instead of promoting something that is associated with the person, not the program.

You can question a choice without hating the person that makes the choice. I don't hate Fleck. I just wish he would make different choices.

So are you saying PJ uses oars as a tribute to MN and not to represent the RTB slogan he started when MN was only his dream?

And if you were being honest - which we know is never your top priority - you would have said that you have totally read on here before that oars have nothing to do with <b>the University of </b>Minnesota <b>football program </b>, but bricks do. Which, of course, is true - but wouldn’t have allowed you to bring up past coaches yet again.

Really? When have I ever lied on here?

Bricks have something to do with pretty much every building or stadium on every campus. That slogan is not unique to MN, even at the time it was being used.

RTB is Fleck's slogan, and meshes well with Minnesota and the University, as fmlizard said. It is currently unique to Fleck, and the University of Minnesota.

But - the point is - once PJ Fleck is no longer the coach of the Gopher Football program, what happens to RTB? what happens to the oars? If the Gophers use RTB and the oars long enough, do they get to keep them - like a common-law marriage? Or do the Gophers have to stop using RTB and oars the day Fleck leaves?

the next coach comes in and does his own thing and rtb will be printed on retro shirts.

Amazing to think that Fleck is doing something positive for Minnesota Football and people are bent out of shape about it. Every coach nationwide has a legacy of sort. Some of it is good, some elite, and some bad. Think Haskins and Brewster as to not so good. To me Fleck has done some pretty amazing things in his short time here and only to get better if we support him.

Why in God's name do people get upset over success? Is it jealously? Don't like his sayings? Personally I think Row the Boat and the oar makes perfect sense in life. I hear people talk about it in a positive way. Lets put our oars in the water, work together, and see what it brings us. What is so wrong about that? Good grief.

The teams that receive the oars will learn something as well if they allow themselves a teaching moment. Or they can make a mockery of something positive as others here on the board have.

In Minnesota it really should be "row the voyager canoe." RTVC baby!!!!

You are absolutely correct, PJF is not MN football.

it is also true, though, that he has been tasked with making the football program relevant again. After FIFTY PLUS years of relative ineptitude, I might add.

What exactly does he have to sell a recruit? "We were great once upon a time"? "Look, we have a cool new stadium". "I know we lost to South Dakota State, but we're better now." "Losing to Iowa 55-0 was a fluke" "Join the rush to beat Wisconsin once every fifteen years". "Seven national titles, last one was before your Grandpa was born". "Eleven coaches in fifty years, hopefully I'll be around when you graduate".

WHAT EXACTLY DOES HE HAVE TO SELL?

He can sell excitement, HIS excitement, even if he is the ONLY one excited.

He can try to sell the vision, we were great at one time and we can be great again. He can try to sell the story, how this is a groundswell movement and you can join it. He can try to sell that 'll teach you how to be an adult, not just how to play football.

NONE of it sells without excitement. HIS excitement. Run up and down the sideline type excitement!

PJF is not selling the "We have been losers for fifty years and we are going to continue down that road without oars on our helmets" package.

He is selling the "This a new Gopher era. We are a different program. We even put oars on our helmets to prove it, because RTB is our mantra, it is becoming our destiny and we are TOTALLY GEEKED about it" package.

Parents, I will turn your boy into a man and not just on the field like everybody else, but in the classroom, in life, in their faith, in their community. Be excited for your boy!

Collars? Yup. Front row of class? You bet. Visiting the hospital? As often as we can. Learning table manners and how to ask a girl on a date? Adulthood 101. Yeah, it's going to be our brand!

PJF has created as much anticipation for this program in the last two years as has been drummed up for forty-six of the last fifty years.

How did he do it? Selling HIS excitement and RTB!

Is it his RTB? Who cares, it's his excitement that makes it work. Without Fleck, RTB is nothing.

There was a point in time there weren't Golden Gophers, there was only Minnesota.

There was a point in time the U didn't own Ski-U-Mah.

There was a point in time they didn't own the rouser.

Pipie wrenches? Oars? More elfin' acronyms than you can shake a stick at? Bring it on!

If thats what it takes to erase a half century of malaise within this community and within this program, sign me up.

Give me the shoulder tat. Paint it on my garage door. Make it a national icon. Start the news with it every night.

If that is what it takes for Fleck to fix this, then do it.

He may sound like the Sham-Wow guy, but that is what this program needs right now. A Sparticus. A champion for the cause.

As far as I am concerned, anybody that isn't on board with it can take a hike, they have no vision.

I don’t hate PJ Fleck. I do know a shameless self promoter when I see one, however.

Most good coaches are.

Although most actually accomplish something before demanding the school rebrands itself to focus on them.

Ski-U-Mah!

Last edited:

I think RTB works really well with Minnesota. The Vikings were the ultimate boat-rowers, and that's worked well here for a football team name. I do Fleck and his crew could have done a better job creatively integrating RTB and the state's lore.

The real quarrel people have with it is that it's on loan from Western Michigan.

So did it work with Western Michigan too? Where else might it work?

Personally I’ve never seen a Golden Gopher (or a 13 stripe ground squirrel for that matter) use an oar before, but yeah. Makes total sense.

Oh, and GWG - yeah I never saw a Gopher use a brick either. But when a coach brings something to the program and it becomes something the SCHOOL decides to use in marketing, that’s one thing. When the coach brands the school with his personal brand, that’s another. Particularly when he’s done it’s at another school. If Coyle wants to add badgers on the uniform that’s ok too, as long as we out recruit .... well, how about look better on paper anyway ... and out play.... well, sometimes, but not against the bad teams...... and out coach ....... well, 0-3 ain’t bad.

And as a personal brand, RTB is very cool. I’m glad it works for PJ.

it is also true, though, that he has been tasked with making the football program relevant again. After FIFTY PLUS years of relative ineptitude, I might add.

What exactly does he have to sell a recruit? "We were great once upon a time"? "Look, we have a cool new stadium". "I know we lost to South Dakota State, but we're better now." "Losing to Iowa 55-0 was a fluke" "Join the rush to beat Wisconsin once every fifteen years". "Seven national titles, last one was before your Grandpa was born". "Eleven coaches in fifty years, hopefully I'll be around when you graduate".

He can try to sell the vision, we were great at one time and we can be great again. He can try to sell the story, how this is a groundswell movement and you can join it. He can try to sell that 'll teach you how to be an adult, not just how to play football.

NONE of it sells without excitement. HIS excitement. Run up and down the sideline type excitement!

PJF is not selling the "We have been losers for fifty years and we are going to continue down that road without oars on our helmets" package.

He is selling the "This a new Gopher era. We are a different program. We even put oars on our helmets to prove it, because RTB is our mantra, it is becoming our destiny and we are TOTALLY GEEKED about it" package.

Parents, I will turn your boy into a man and not just on the field like everybody else, but in the classroom, in life, in their faith, in their community. Be excited for your boy!

Collars? Yup. Front row of class? You bet. Visiting the hospital? As often as we can. Learning table manners and how to ask a girl on a date? Adulthood 101. Yeah, it's going to be our brand!

PJF has created as much anticipation for this program in the last two years as has been drummed up for forty-six of the last fifty years.

Is it his RTB? Who cares, it's his excitement that makes it work. Without Fleck, RTB is nothing.

There was a point in time there weren't Golden Gophers, there was only Minnesota.

Pipie wrenches? Oars? More elfin' acronyms than you can shake a stick at? Bring it on!

If thats what it takes to erase a half century of malaise within this community and within this program, sign me up.

Give me the shoulder tat. Paint it on my garage door. Make it a national icon. Start the news with it every night.

He may sound like the Sham-Wow guy, but that is what this program needs right now. A Sparticus. A champion for the cause.

As far as I am concerned, anybody that isn't on board with it can take a hike, they have no vision.

This must be why attendance has gone up so fast, right?

I was at Goldy's run yesterday morning as a spectator. At the start of the race of which there were over 10,000 participants was PJ, high fiving as many runners as he could. I saw some runners work their way to the side of the street that PJ was high fiving. Not to dis any of the other Gopher coaches but I didn't see any of them making the effort.

Regardless of your "self promotion" opinions, this DOES bring positive attention to the program. I am glad he is who he is and that he is the head football coach at the U of M!

I was at Goldy's run yesterday morning as a spectator. At the start of the race of which there were over 10,000 participants was PJ, high fiving as many runners as he could. I saw some runners work their way to the side of the street that PJ was high fiving. Not to dis any of the other Gopher coaches but I didn't see any of them making the effort.

Regardless of your "self promotion" opinions, this DOES bring positive attention to the program. I am glad he is who he is and that he is the head football coach at the U of M!

For years we listened to people complain about the lack of attention or respect the program would get from the National media. Then Fleck shows up and suddenly we are getting a level of positive attention we have never seen but that isn't good enough because too much of that attention is directed at the coach.

You can't win with some people. I think Fleck started to move the needle some with the win over Wisconsin and the way the season ended but it is going to take a lot to win over the people that just can't stand his personality because it doesn't jive with what they think a coach should do.

Most want to see the program achieve more than it has since the 60's but some are afraid of someone trying a new approach to get it done. Thankfully the administration seems on board and that is all that really matters at this point. Hopefully things keep trending in the right direction and we have some really fun seasons in the very near future.

For years we listened to people complain about the lack of attention or respect the program would get from the National media. Then Fleck shows up and <b>suddenly we are getting a level of positive attention we have never seen </b>but that isn't good enough because too much of that attention is directed at the coach.

We are? Any examples of National positive attention we are getting that we have never seen before?

Wow. All that, huh? Your post reminds me of the poster a couple years back that was convinced the Dinkytown Subway owner putting an oar on the wall of his store was proof of increased fan excitement. Didn’t pan out. What you call vision others might call wishful thinking.

Oh, and GWG - yeah I never saw a Gopher use a brick either. But when a coach brings something to the program and it becomes something the SCHOOL decides to use in marketing, that’s one thing. When the coach brands the school with his personal brand, that’s another. Particularly when he’s done it’s at another school. If Coyle wants to add badgers on the uniform that’s ok too, as long as we out recruit .... well, how about look better on paper anyway ... and out play.... well, sometimes, but not against the bad teams...... and out coach ....... well, 0-3 ain’t bad.

Speaking as an old(er) Gopher fan - the Gophers played for years in Memorial Stadium. The stadium was made of Brick. It's nickname was......."The Brick House." It was the scene of some of the greatest games and players in Gopher history.

The Brick house is part of Gopher FB tradition. Jerry Kill did not bring bricks to MN. They were already here - a long time before Kill.

I attended my first game at the Brick House in 1968. I did not see any oars........(but it was raining that day).

We are? Any examples of National positive attention we are getting that we have never seen before?

There was that 4 part positive infomercial on Gopher Football "Being PJ Fleck" on ESPN the year he got hired.

There was that 4 part positive infomercial on Gopher Football "Being PJ Fleck" on ESPN the year he got hired.

Ah yes. I liked that show.
I doubt there would have been a “Being Tracey Claeys Show” so I will have to give you that one.

BTW, I believe PJ has done a lot of very good things since arriving here. The future is very bright.

This thread:

OMG+girl.gif

As far as national attention pretty sure some of the Mason teams that were ranked brought some attention. Once the Kill teams became competitive there was a ton of coverage and opinioneering on BTN on things such as their status on the west that has dropped off the last few years. PJ did have his show which was well done and inspirational and it looks like the team may be poised for a breakthrough year. Once that happens he can compare favorably to Mase and Kill.

Top Bottom