Fleck putting RTB into Final Four

This thread:

OMG+girl.gif

I think people need to see this again. People are blind.

I think people need to see this again. People are blind.

That gif should probably get posted in every thread once it gets beyond the first few actual posts on the topic and devolves into the standard shouting match between just a couple of posters that goes on for 15 pages.

As far as national attention pretty sure some of the Mason teams that were ranked brought some attention. Once the Kill teams became competitive there was a ton of coverage and opinioneering on BTN on things such as their status on the west that has dropped off the last few years. PJ did have his show which was well done and inspirational and it looks like the team may be poised for a breakthrough year. Once that happens he can compare favorably to Mase and Kill.

I think the high water mark for national media attention this decade (non-boycott division) was that year when the Gophers were pretty good and lost to TCU and Ohio State and both programs were touting how wonderful Minnesota was during the incessant BCS playoff coverage in November and December.

Ah yes - another plea for no arguing, no negativity, and allegiance to the cult leader. GH would be so much better then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes - another plea for no arguing, no negativity, and allegiance to the cult leader. GH would be so much better then.

You miss the whole point. For most of to argue the same things over and over is kind of childish. We know Spoofin that you don't like Fleck. To pound it over and over however is baffling. You'll come right back with another childish comment no doubt.

You miss the whole point. For most of to argue the same things over and over is kind of childish. We know Spoofin that you don't like Fleck. To pound it over and over however is baffling. You'll come right back with another childish comment no doubt.

Have I really pounded that I don’t like PJ in this thread? Really? Read my posts again. I objected to the idea, and still do, that PJ doesn’t self promote and that RTB isn’t more about PJ than it is about the U. That is really it #2. I didn’t call him a bad man for doing it and I didn’t say other coaches don’t do the same.

I’ll tell you what - the problem is that if you aren’t 100% behind PJ, thinking he is sent down from heaven to save us, some folks on here act like you are pushing and kicking little kids in the street. How dare you! I say I think he he is mainly about himself in a thread where I was called out in the OP about that view and you take my response as pounding dislike toward PJ.

I have stopped calling PJ names on here many months ago. I have been down right positive about how we ended the 2018 season and have shared my optimism for 2019 often and loudly here. I am glad PJ is our coach. However, none of that matters because I don’t like him. At that point folks lose perspective.

What dots everyone connects from what I post I have no control over - and I have little patience for those that take it into the weeds, condemn any opinion different than theirs as “lacking vision”, or complain every time someone says something the slightest bit negative toward PJF.

Have I really pounded that I don’t like PJ in this thread? Really? Read my posts again. I objected to the idea, and still do, that PJ doesn’t self promote and that RTB isn’t more about PJ than it is about the U. That is really it #2. I didn’t call him a bad man for doing it and I didn’t say other coaches don’t do the same.

I’ll tell you what - the problem is that if you aren’t 100% behind PJ, thinking he is sent down from heaven to save us, some folks on here act like you are pushing and kicking little kids in the street. How dare you! I say I think he he is mainly about himself in a thread where I was called out in the OP about that view and you take my response as pounding dislike toward PJ.

I have stopped calling PJ names on here many months ago. I have been down right positive about how we ended the 2018 season and have shared my optimism for 2019 often and loudly here. I am glad PJ is our coach. However, none of that matters because I don’t like him. At that point folks lose perspective.

What dots everyone connects from what I post I have no control over - and I have little patience for those that take it into the weeds, condemn any opinion different than theirs as “lacking vision”, or complain every time someone says something the slightest bit negative toward PJF.

Ah, a gentler and kinder Sir Spoofin. Waiting to see if you have another self-pitying episode where you forsake us for a few months because people are being mean to you.

Don't confuse lacking vision for having a differing opinion. Your opinion is yours and you are welcome to it. Sometimes I think you are more about poking the bear than having an opinion, but to each his own.

The point was that while PJ may be self-promoting, he is also creating a brand. Yes, RTB is part of it. RTB is for all intents and purposes is his vehicle to accomplish the goal of reviving this football program.

Yes it is all about him AND what he is doing. As of this point, at least until this program can stand on it's own accomplishments, PJ Fleck IS the new brand. HIS brand is a holistic approach to the college athlete. Academic, athletic, social and spiritual.

Prior to Saban, you couldn't visualize Alabama with out thinking of the houndstooth fedora of Bear Bryant. Woody Hayes without a baseball cap? He'd be incognito. Bobby Knight throwing a tantrum. Harbaugh and his khakis. Georgia Tech and the triple option. Goldy and the Gophers. Obviously the list is endless.

Those are all natural in their origin, others are manufactured. they both take time to develop, but the manufactured ones specifically take VISION.

I can only imagine the rebuttal the first time somebody floated the idea of a blimp to the Goodyear board or the excitement of Nike and Oregon saying "Let's tear the lid off college uniforms!". Boise St regents saying "Are you serious, you want to put BLUE Astroturf in?". Now you can't separate them.

Liking or not liking PJF is completely irrelevant. He is inxtricably joined to Minnesota football. As he goes, so goes the program. Only when the program becomes nationally relevant again will it be able to stand as it's own brand.

There has been nearly a dozen coaches through that have tried to remodel the program they walked into at the U. Fleck is the first to say "Tear it down, we're going to build something different". I find that visionary.

Anybody who refuses to see that, yes, has no vision and can pack sand as far I am concerned if they choose to detract from that vision.

Of course, that's just how I see it, you and anybody else, can look at it any way you want.

That gif should probably get posted in every thread once it gets beyond the first few actual posts on the topic and devolves into the standard shouting match between just a couple of posters that goes on for 15 pages.

I like this idea.

After page 3 it is just be an auto reply to every post ;)

What baffles me is the inconsistent standard you apply to Fleck.

For example over and over you pointed out how Fleck said he'd focus his recruiting within 5 or 6 hours of the Twin Cities. When Fleck went outside that territorial limit you concluded he couldn't be trusted because, at best, he was talking out of both sides of his mouth, and, at worst, was a liar.

Yet Jerry Kill said the same thing at his introductory press conference, then recruited the heck out of Georgia. But no posts from you calling out Kill and accusing him of being insincere. No recognition that Fleck was mo different than Kill.

More recently, posters have harped on Fleck for his attempt to limit what people, who attend public practices, post on social media. But again, Kill did pretty much the same thing--there are even posts discussing it as part the 2012 spring practice thread. And again, no shots leveled at Kill, only Fleck.

That's what I, and I assume others on this board, find puzzling. Kill gets a pass for things that Fleck does not.

For example over and over you pointed out how Fleck said he'd focus his recruiting within 5 or 6 hours of the Twin Cities. When Fleck went outside that territorial limit you concluded he couldn't be trusted because, at best, he was talking out of both sides of his mouth, and, at worst, was a liar.

Yet Jerry Kill said the same thing at his introductory press conference, then recruited the heck out of Georgia. But no posts from you calling out Kill and accusing him of being insincere. No recognition that Fleck was mo different than Kill.

More recently, posters have harped on Fleck for his attempt to limit what people, who attend public practices, post on social media. But again, Kill did pretty much the same thing--there are even posts discussing it as part the 2012 spring practice thread. And again, no shots leveled at Kill, only Fleck.

That's what I, and I assume others on this board, find puzzling. Kill gets a pass for things that Fleck does not.

Well, PJ is the only one of those two coaches that drastically limited public practices, press access while going on and on about this being the people’s team, exposure, blah, blah, blah. It’s tiring to listen to. I get it, everyone says one thing and does another but PJ does it more loudly and repeatedly.

I agree it was stupid for Kill to limit public comments on practice. Can we all agree on that?

Words get thrown around haphazardly and foolishly far too often. Calling something racist that's not racist diminishes actual racism. Calling something sexist that's not sexist diminishes actual sexism.

Calling someone a cult leader needs to be reserved for Jim Jones and Charles Manson and the like. Using it as a name-calling device for a football coach is naive and disingenuous.

Although I may have some natural inconsistencies between the coaches - your examples are quite poor.

1. It was "8-hour radius" and it didn't stand on its own. It was one of many. If I pointed this out for PJF (you must be going back a while) I am sure I didn't single it out, but rather included it as part of a trend. One of many. Pay-Cut, "All about Positivity", "Open Practices/People's team", "our Unis will tie to the past", Grade School Teacher, Youngest Team in America, X number of scholarship players, etc. These are just off the top of my head. So many examples and as disingenuous of you to cherry pick that single one as "baffling" (as they all build on each other) as it was for PJF to say them in the first place.

2. Never harped on Fleck at all for his "attempt" to limit what people say about practice. I was harping on those posters that took it literally as if they held some top-secret info that would hurt the team if shared. I would have done the same to someone who took the same stance after a Kill practice.

I'm surprised you find so many similarities between PJ and JK. I see very few.

Well, except for calling him a cult leader in your post before this one.

HA. True dat. I didn't think of that term as name-calling PJ as much as descriptive of his "followers". If that counts as name-calling then I am guilty. I'll remove that one from the acceptable list as well.

Funny thing about this thread is that PJ didn't actually have anything to do with the paddles. Megan Ryan tweeted: Fleck said he didn’t really have anything to do with the oars given to the Final Four teams when they arrived in Minneapolis, but he’ll take the connection. He joked they said “The ROWad Ends Here”

Unless we're playing on PJ Field, I doubt this will be the case. RTB is owned by Fleck.

Yup PJ bought it from WMU when he was hired here. Cost him 50k. I don't think he minded the price and he was already donating to WMU. WMU really would have looked like jerks to continue to use it.

Every coach can have a slogan, I'm fine with it.

Words get thrown around haphazardly and foolishly far too often. Calling something racist that's not racist diminishes actual racism. Calling something sexist that's not sexist diminishes actual sexism.
Only to racists and sexists.

Yup PJ bought it from WMU when he was hired here. Cost him 50k. I don't think he minded the price and he was already donating to WMU. WMU really would have looked like jerks to continue to use it.

Every coach can have a slogan, I'm fine with it.

I don’t disagree.

Was simply stating a fact that the U won’t use it on retro shirts because, by law we can’t unless we’re willing to pay PJ Fleck to use it.

IF he coaches the team to the point we name the field after him, maybe that happens. If he does not, it would be unlikely that it would happen.

I don’t disagree.

Was simply stating a fact that the U won’t use it on retro shirts because, by law we can’t unless we’re willing to pay PJ Fleck to use it.

IF he coaches the team to the point we name the field after him, maybe that happens. If he does not, it would be unlikely that it would happen.

PJ has to be ok with it, not sure we HAVE to pay him unless that's the deal he wants.

PJ has to be ok with it, not sure we HAVE to pay him unless that's the deal he wants.

You are correct. He has to give us permission. We don’t have to pay him to use it unless he requires that.

Top Bottom