Fleck putting RTB into Final Four

PJ never misses the opportunity to promote. I don't care if some think its just promoting himself, because it isnt. He is the UM head coach, and promoting him means promoting the U. I love it.

Millions of viewers tuning in to the final 4 in Minneapolis? Hell yeah! Get your brand out there.

The guy doesnt rest.

Last edited:

He's a consummate salesman doing what he was hired to do, coach, recruit, and promote the Gophers.

PJ never misses the opportunity to promote. I don't care if some think its just promoting himself, because it isnt. He is the UM head coach, and promoting him means promoting the U. I love it.

Millions of viewers tuning in to the final 4 in Minneapolis? Hell yeah! Get your brand out there.

The guy doesnt rest.

I love that the dolts and louts think PJ is promoting himself. Not even close. A football program doesn't promote itself.

He is day by day showing that he might be the best coach and promoter this squad has had in the last 50 years.

100% of RTB goes to charity. Better than most of the charities in this country...but let us not let facts into the discussion.

Keep doing what you're doing coach. Ski-U-Mah! RTB!

I like to think on the oar is a number to call if you want to transfer ;)

Did all the teams receive mini oars upon arriving in Mpls yesterday? <b>Fleck promotes the U or in Spoofin’s mind his own brand so well</b>

Precious. Sorry you can’t see these things can both be true. Please find a post where I have said he doesn’t promote the U or do so well? PJ is a great marketer. It is those that think he is selfless in all those efforts (i.e. “100% goes to charity, he doesn’t benefit from RTB) that irk me. Of course, many of those same folks follow his every word like a cult leader so I guess it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder, are WMU fans not giving up and holding on to RTB.

The oars appear to be Final Four and team branded, with the FF logo on one side and blank on the other. Looks like a couple different designs. No U or Gopher branding I could see, but perhaps a subtle nod to RTB. They were given to all teams. They show up a lot on the Final Four twitter account. The attached tweet shows both sides of them if you zoom in.

https://twitter.com/FinalFour/status/1113608578219302912

Last edited:

Think of it this way, and be honest....

If you polled 1,000 random college football fans from around the US, and asked them what they associate “RTB” with - what % would go with:
A) WMU
B) UMN
C) PJF

I would guess somewhere around 5%, 10%, 85%. If my guess is anywhere near correct then how could one realistically argue that PJ doesn’t benefit from the brand and that it isn’t self promotion? Some U of M (and WMU) promotion may come along with it - but let’s not be blind.

If you think giving each final 4 team a couple oars is really going to help MN football then you just aren’t being realistic. The U would be better off spending that $ on an actual U of M promotion and/or fan engagement. Of course, this realization requires one to look at PJF in a way most refuse to do.

If you polled 1,000 random college football fans from around the US, and asked them what they associate “RTB” with - what % would go with:
A) WMU
B) UMN
C) PJF

I would guess somewhere around 5%, 10%, 85%. If my guess is anywhere near correct then how could one realistically argue that PJ doesn’t benefit from the brand and that it isn’t self promotion? Some U of M (and WMU) promotion may come along with it - but let’s not be blind.

If you think giving each final 4 team a couple oars is really going to help MN football then you just aren’t being realistic. The U would be better off spending that $ on an actual U of M promotion and/or fan engagement. Of course, this realization requires one to look at PJF in a way most refuse to do.

You must be fun at parties. Nobody said Fleck was using it to recruit players, instead, he is using it as a way to promote the program. Two very different things.

You must be fun at parties. Nobody said Fleck was using it to recruit players, instead, he is using it as a way to promote the program. Two very different things.

I don’t get invited to many parties so the joke is on you.

Most of my post focused on “promotion of the program” and how RTB isn’t really that and not on recruiting. You either didn’t read the first 3/4 of my post or didn’t like how true it was.

Transfer hotline! 1800-ski-umah

A man will arrive at your door disguised as a pizza delivery guy this evening. Do not speak to him. Inside the pizza box is a burner phone with instructions, cash, an ID, and airline tickets for "Adam Meway".... do not tell anyone and follow the instructions exactly.

I personally don't think PJ Fleck or the U had a thing to do with these oars, and it's just a coincidence. NCAA and some committee made them as locally-appropriate welcome gifts. Boats, lakes, woodsy stuff, and canoes are part of the state's lore and brand (including the Final Four logo along with 3 of the state's 4 pro sports teams) long before PJ and RTB showed up.

I personally don't think PJ Fleck or the U had a thing to do with these oars, and it's just a coincidence. NCAA and some committee made them as locally-appropriate welcome gifts. Boats, lakes, woodsy stuff, and canoes are part of the state's lore and brand (including the Final Four logo along with 3 of the state's 4 pro sports teams) long before PJ and RTB showed up.

I think you are correct as I don't think this has anything to do with the U at all. That said, many will make that connection anyway so the football program will get some exposure at a basketball event. Gotta love it.

As for who or what RTB is associated with....who cares if people associate it with Fleck? He is the head coach of the University of Minnesota football program and anytime he is talked about that will always enter into the conversation as well which is publicity for the program.

Some are so determined to think Fleck only cares about Fleck which is just foolish. He understands how to work the media and promote a brand, yes in the the grand scheme of things all coaches #1 priority is themselves but a very close second is whatever school they happen to be working for at that time.

Everytime he says Row the Boat it is always proceeded or followed by Ski-U-Mah.

I love that the dolts and louts think PJ is promoting himself. Not even close. A football program doesn't promote itself.

He is day by day showing that he might be the best coach and promoter this squad has had in the last 50 years.

100% of RTB goes to charity. Better than most of the charities in this country...but let us not let facts into the discussion.

I happen to think it’s both. He’s promoting the U and his own personal brand, which right now are inextricably linked. I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. But I’m relatively young which explains my lack of curmudgeonly attitude toward the oar symbolism being incorporated into UMN Football.

I happen to think it’s both. He’s promoting the U and his own personal brand, which right now are inextricably linked. I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. But I’m relatively young which explains my lack of curmudgeonly attitude toward the oar symbolism being incorporated into UMN Football.

Not sure what constitutes "young" for you, but I'm in my mid-40's and I generally agree with you. I don't mind him promoting the U and if his self-promotion helps the U I can live with that. I don't like it on the uniforms because I don't think it looks good, but that is a separate issue for me.

if i was handed one of those, i'd be like wtf am i supposed to do with this? i thought swag was supposed to have some kind of use.

if this does have something to do with fleck, tho, that's freaking awesome and i salute him

Not sure what constitutes "young" for you, but I'm in my mid-40's and I generally agree with you. I don't mind him promoting the U and if his self-promotion helps the U I can live with that. I don't like it on the uniforms because I don't think it looks good, but that is a separate issue for me.

Here’s the simple fact: the doorknobs that hate RTB hate Fleck. If he had written “Minnesota Hail to Thee” or the Rouser they would be asking for a congressional investigation.

Fleck doesn’t do anything differently than any other good quality coach. Thank god he’s ours.

Hard to defend dolts, louts, and doorknobs.

A) WMU
B) UMN
C) PJF

I agree that it is hard to argue that some of the things he does isn't, at least to some degree, self promotion. I do believe most things he does that could be considered self promotion also promotes the program, school, etc. so I don't see a problem with it for the most part. I'm not a big fan of some things like the oars on the helmets but I can live with it if he wins.

If you think about it, promoting yourself as a coach is part of recruiting. I think he understands that. As much as we would like every recruit to sign because they love the school, city, academics, etc., we all know the coach can be a big influence in the kid's decision.

I’m choosing to not believe this. I still want reasons to be negative and will look for anything I can find to use as kindling to throw on the fire of negativity towards all things PJ.

I’m choosing to not believe this. I still want reasons to be negative and will look for anything I can find to use as kindling to throw on the fire of negativity towards all things PJ.
I think a lot of people were saying it was viewed as a positive if PJ had something to do with it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom