Gophers receive a commitment from Texas center Sam Freeman

I don't think the expectation for all Pitino recruits are to start day 1. I do believe he recruits some to be initially back ups.

Past performance is not indicative of the future.

Let’s hope that we are not counting on all freshman to start.

They were talking as if he would be a backup his whole career and if he would be of help in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past performance is not indicative of the future.

Let’s hope that we are not counting on all freshman to start.

They were talking as if he would be a backup his whole career and if he would be of help in practice.

well he's most likely not going to move Oturu to the bench and not sure if him and Oturu can start together. It should be expected his role to increase and Oturu leaves early for him to potentially be the guy

I noticed that on his HUDL page, he is listed at both a center and a power forward. Does anyone have any information about this? Can he play PF and is the notion that he will flexibly either back up at center and play at PF as needed?

I noticed that on his HUDL page, he is listed at both a center and a power forward. Does anyone have any information about this? Can he play PF and is the notion that he will flexibly either back up at center and play at PF as needed?

That is what Pitino told him how they would use him (from a Freeman interview). Guys, the positions all have flexibility and he will be in the rotation.

Exciting news! Welcome aboard Mr. Freeman.

And how do you know this kid is a great athlete at this point? I don't know why you feel compelled to make predictions based on very little exposure to the recruit. Maybe you're just bored and can't think of anything else to say. I just mentioned that there is no real evidence at this point to believe that this kid is going to be a big practice upgrade at this time and you have nothing to refute that so why not just give this up.

Sammie will have a lot more foot speed than old Elliot did.

It's just a highlight tape, but the one at 247 looked like sammie moved pretty well.

If he and/or Orturo can guard the opposing team's 4 man, there would be no reason they couldnt play together,

also, right now there's no depth, if it remains this way, pitino wont have much of a choice.

the 4/5 spots are basically the same unless someone has the foot speed of elliot or mats, then you need a slower guy for him to guard or need the length to defend.

Sammie will have a lot more foot speed than old Elliot did.

It's just a highlight tape, but the one at 247 looked like sammie moved pretty well.

If he and/or Orturo can guard the opposing team's 4 man, there would be no reason they couldnt play together,

also, right now there's no depth, if it remains this way, pitino wont have much of a choice.

the 4/5 spots are basically the same unless someone has the foot speed of elliot or mats, then you need a slower guy for him to guard or need the length to defend.

Elliot was not particularly slow footed on defense. He could get out on the baseline to challenge shooters pretty quickly. He was a bit of a mental mess his senior year but I chalk a good deal of that up to Pitino's shabby treatment. Prior to that he was a pretty decent defensive center, although fairly foul prone. Elliot's problems were on the offensive end where he never developed footwork, moves, or the ability to shoot reliably beyond two feet. The feelings of some that he was completely worthless are just further examples of pervasive groupthink on this board.

As far as Oturu and the new guy playing together, I have no opinion on whether or not that would work well. I just made the empirically valid point that Pitino doesn't play players he classifies as "centers" together very often (in fact, extremely rarely). Whether he changes he ways in the future I cannot say but I will say he has shown himself to be less flexible in his six years than PJ Fleck has in his first two.

Elliot was not particularly slow footed on defense. He could get out on the baseline to challenge shooters pretty quickly. He was a bit of a mental mess his senior year but I chalk a good deal of that up to Pitino's shabby treatment. Prior to that he was a pretty decent defensive center, although fairly foul prone. Elliot's problems were on the offensive end where he never developed footwork, moves, or the ability to shoot reliably beyond two feet. The feelings of some that he was completely worthless are just further examples of pervasive groupthink on this board.

As far as Oturu and the new guy playing together, I have no opinion on whether or not that would work well. I just made the empirically valid point that Pitino doesn't play players he classifies as "centers" together very often (in fact, extremely rarely). Whether he changes he ways in the future I cannot say but I will say he has shown himself to be less flexible in his six years than PJ Fleck has in his first two.

Playing two "centers" together is rare in the game today. Twin Towers is largely a thing of the past, but helped Purdue nearly knock off Virginia when Painter played Williams and Haarms together for virtually the only time this season. It may not be the plan, but you do what you have to do. Say what you want about Pitino, he has not demonstrated coaching rigidity in his time here. He's more flexible than you give him credit for. Lots of in game adjustments this season (e.g Washington) led to wins. Flexibility is necessary when you will rarely pound another team with raw talent. Gophers are in that category.

What are you elliots brother?

there is no comparison between Sam's foot speed and Elliots.

put their 247 highlight tapes next to one another

and pull the blinders off.

3 big guys on the roster right now.

Orturo and Freeman will take the court together whether it be foul trouble, injury, or the fact that Jarvis cant play the 4 adequately.

your but but pitino doesnt play 2 big guys isnt valid.

he has no choice due to lack of roster options.

Maybe we haven't seen enough of Freeman to know if he can play PF. However, last time I checked, Daniel has displayed plenty of footspeed to play PF. So why not put Daniel at PF and Sam at center? If they both have the speed we may be able to effectively play a 3-2 match-up zone on defense. Something Murph had trouble covering was a jump out on the corner 3.

I've also seen on the internet that Freeman weighs 230 instead of 220. Oturu and Sam should be eating tri-tip and lifting together all summer!

What are you elliots brother?

there is no comparison between Sam's foot speed and Elliots.

put their 247 highlight tapes next to one another

and pull the blinders off.

3 big guys on the roster right now.

Orturo and Freeman will take the court together whether it be foul trouble, injury, or the fact that Jarvis cant play the 4 adequately.

your but but pitino doesnt play 2 big guys isnt valid.

he has no choice due to lack of roster options.

Jarvis will have a big role next year. He can defend, he's athletic, he is happy to hang around the basket and get dunks, etc. In college, these types of players are a must have.

I just googled Mo Walker, and it said he was 27 years old and currently playing for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Good news! Front court problem solved.

I just googled Mo Walker, and it said he was 27 years old and currently playing for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Good news! Front court problem solved.

Sweet! Is he in shape "a shape" as Reusse would say?

Maybe we haven't seen enough of Freeman to know if he can play PF. However, last time I checked, Daniel has displayed plenty of footspeed to play PF. So why not put Daniel at PF and Sam at center? If they both have the speed we may be able to effectively play a 3-2 match-up zone on defense. Something Murph had trouble covering was a jump out on the corner 3.

I've also seen on the internet that Freeman weighs 230 instead of 220. Oturu and Sam should be eating tri-tip and lifting together all summer!

The system will be fluid with switching on the fly. It is more a matter of creating mismatches instead of playing positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always felt Daniel can play some 4 but Pitino never played him and Matz together so I have my doubts he will play with Freeman at the same time.

Hopefully he is like Tariq Owens from Texas Tech

I've always felt Daniel can play some 4 but Pitino never played him and Matz together so I have my doubts he will play with Freeman at the same time.

It depends on whether Freeman is ready to play immediately (major question) and whether Daniel develops the fifteen footer needed to play away from the basket some. Both are possible, with Daniel's development more easily predicted. He showed a little of that last year, but needs to get more consistent. A whole off-season of training and it could happen.

I read an article on another site that got me pretty excited about Freeman. His old coach thinks he will grow to 7' - 250 pounds and he is athletic. Says he has pro potential and is an incredibly hard worker who will play minutes right away.

It depends on whether Freeman is ready to play immediately (major question) and whether Daniel develops the fifteen footer needed to play away from the basket some. Both are possible, with Daniel's development more easily predicted. He showed a little of that last year, but needs to get more consistent. A whole off-season of training and it could happen.

If either of them develop the ability to hit 3 pointers then I'd be all for being them on the court at the same time. The analytical side of me would like to see at least 4 three point threats on the court at the same time, having only 3 allows the other team to shrink the floor like teams did against duke last year.

I read an article on another site that got me pretty excited about Freeman. His old coach thinks he will grow to 7' - 250 pounds and he is athletic. Says he has pro potential and is an incredibly hard worker who will play minutes right away.

Good to hear this. After the IW situation, I kind of feel skittish about incoming playees who are lightly recruited.

Good to hear this. After the IW situation, I kind of feel skittish about incoming playees who are lightly recruited.

Another note I recall is that Linsted was first the coach to recognize that Freeman had high potential and he pitched him to Pitino and they offered. Freeman liked that Linsted and the Gophers believed in him early and stayed on him and he was loyal to that. He sounds like a steal per the article. I can't post it because it is on a pay site.

Always good to be a little skeptical but IW wasn't lightly recruited. He had a good number of offers and a handful of power conference ones.

If either of them develop the ability to hit 3 pointers then I'd be all for being them on the court at the same time. The analytical side of me would like to see at least 4 three point threats on the court at the same time, having only 3 allows the other team to shrink the floor like teams did against duke last year.

I'd be happy with 3 guys on court who could consistently hit the 3

I'd be happy with 3 guys on court who could consistently hit the 3

2 would be an improvement.

Past Gabe, just who did you have confidence in to hit an open 3?

Coffey? I always felt like, "Please somebody foul him."

McBrayer? Please.

Stull, Hurt, Washington or a random fan selected from the crowd would be my next choice.

I feel a lot better with Carr, Willis, and Williams coming in with regards to 3 pt shooting. Plus, a return to SF for catch and shoots should help Amir improve his %. Would love to get Sherfield and Ihnen as both look capable from 3. But a PF who can stretch the defense would be awesome for Oturu!

2 would be an improvement.

Past Gabe, just who did you have confidence in to hit an open 3?

Coffey? I always felt like, "Please somebody foul him."

McBrayer? Please.

Stull, Hurt, Washington or a random fan selected from the crowd would be my next choice.

I feel a lot better with Carr, Willis, and Williams coming in with regards to 3 pt shooting. Plus, a return to SF for catch and shoots should help Amir improve his %. Would love to get Sherfield and Ihnen as both look capable from 3. But a PF who can stretch the defense would be awesome for Oturu!

I think Salzie was trying to say what you said, we had 1.5 shooters last year, depending on which Coffey came to play. Doubling that would make him happy but I, like you, would like to see us have 4 shooters to help Oturu. Pitino said he wants to pick and pop next year with Hurt, so he may agree with us!

That's the thing about last year's team. We had some really nice talent including a guy in Murphy who will go down as one of the great Gophers of all time. But he was not a guy who would post up down low, rather he would dribble into the paint wheeling and dealing against three guys and there was nobody to pass to. My hope is that the replacement of Murphy comes from a better mix of players who can do a variety of things, including shoot from anywhere. As good as Murphy was, he made it difficult for Oturu to find space. As stated above, a stretch 4 with Oturu would be excellent.

Replace IW with Bakary and Gas and I'd agree 150% with you. IW was a top 100 guy who had a lot of offers.

That's the thing about last year's team. We had some really nice talent including a guy in Murphy who will go down as one of the great Gophers of all time. But he was not a guy who would post up down low, rather he would dribble into the paint wheeling and dealing against three guys and there was nobody to pass to. My hope is that the replacement of Murphy comes from a better mix of players who can do a variety of things, including shoot from anywhere. As good as Murphy was, he made it difficult for Oturu to find space. As stated above, a stretch 4 with Oturu would be excellent.

More size in the power forward position will help on defense - Murphy was shot over a ton last year because of his size. With a kid Freeman’s size that actually has timing on blocks (would love to get anyone that even come close to Lynch’s shot blocking ability) wil improve our defense.

Always good to be a little skeptical but IW wasn't lightly recruited. He had a good number of offers and a handful of power conference ones.

247 lists Seton Hall, Providence, Georgia Tech, DePaul, VCU, Rutgers and some mid majors. Maybe somewhat more than lightly recruited, I guess, so your point is well taken. At any rate, his offer list lagged behind the ratings given by the recruiting setvices.

Whether he changes he ways in the future I cannot say but I will say he has shown himself to be less flexible in his six years than PJ Fleck has in his first two.

Sorry to cherry pick as I liked/agreed with the bulk of your post, but this is ridiculous. Fleck has proven himself to be utterly inflexible and stubborn, for both good and bad. And I say that as as huge Fleck supporter.

Top Bottom