Gophers receive a commitment from Texas center Sam Freeman

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Justin, TX. center Sam Freeman. The 6-foot-10, 220-pound big-man chose the Gophers over interest from Virginia Tech and TCU. He took his second visit to Minnesota last weekend and had Virginia Tech in his final-two before head coach Buzz Williams departed for Texas A&M.

Freeman now joins guard Tre Williams as the second player in Minnesota’s 2019 recruiting class. He averaged 13.5 points per game, 11 rebounds and 1.5 blockers per game at Northwest High School in Texas.

With Minnesota searching for more depth in the post, Freeman will likely fit into the rotation early in his career. He will certainly be tasked with helping on the glass and adding much-needed rim protection to the roster. With Matz Stockman and Jordan Murphy graduating, the Gophers will need to inject resources into the frontcourt.

Before Freeman’s commitment, the Gophers had four scholarship spots to fill. This means they’ll need to add at least three additional players before next season.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/10348407/5aa37ad2a677cc0c9c314a6b' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Good get. It was always gonna be hard to get a promising young center to commit knowing Oturu was playing well as a freshmen. It seems like we filled a need with a guy who can be more than just an empty body.

Good get. It was always gonna be hard to get a promising young center to commit knowing Oturu was playing well as a freshmen. It seems like we filled a need with a guy who can be more than just an empty body.

exactly how I see it. good get Pitino and staff

"I will be commenting to..." Huh?

Also, couldn't they have given him a nice Gopher uniform?

Anyways, excited he's a Gopher. Seems like a good kid, hardworker and very athletic for his size.

Anyways, excited he's a Gopher. Seems like a good kid, hardworker and very athletic for his size.

Autocorrect probably

Last edited:

Good get. Hopefully a big strong inside presence for four years. I like hearing about kids who are growing late. Maybe he'll grow some more.

judging by this video it appears he's left handed https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1067278208897347585

He looks comfortable handling the ball. I know these are just highlights. but he looks really fluid, which is good to see for his size..

I wonder if Pitino wouldn't be afraid to play Oturu at the 4 and Freeman at the 5 for a little bit this season

welcome aboard Sam.

I like the addition. with Oturu here we obviously don't need this guy to make a major impact. with Freeman and Curry we have options for the backup 5 spot now.

For whatever it's worth, Rivals has him ranked as the #32 Center in this class

Like you've never had an auto-correct issue before.

Another relentless rebounder out of Texas? I'll take it.

Awesome news! Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great news!! This is great news on more than one front. To me this signals we are not in danger of another coaching move and we have some spring momentum. Excellent! Welcome aboard Sam! Let's go Sherfield and Crowley! Then a grad transfer and we roll!

he quickly followed up with a correct

Grammar nazi's stand down!

I REPEAT, STAND DOWN

I believe it's proper to capitalize the first word in a sentence, and put a period at the end. :)

I believe it's proper to capitalize the first word in a sentence, and put a period at the end. :)

giphy.gif

Good pick up at a position of need. Welcome aboard!

Similar build to Oturu so like Daniel he will need to pack on some lbs but sounds like a good kid. Story in the Trib says he has grown a lot over the past year and at 17 still has some growing to do.

Seems like a nice get, hopefully can add some quality pieces with the remaining spots.

Fantastic. We always need athletic bigs to fill in and help. No big is going to play 40 minutes and stay out of foul trouble in the B1G. We need lenghth and someone to cleanup the boards. Welcome, Sam.

Sure have. But not on the most important announcements of my life. Whatever, I just think it's funny.

Good thing the preacher was prompting you with your wedding vows so you can remain firmly seated on your high horse.

Top Bottom