Gophers receive a commitment from Wisconsin linebacker Lucas Finnessy

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from 2020 Sussex, Wisc. (Hamilton) linebacker Lucas Finnessy. He had offers from North Dakota State, Miami (OH) and Northern Illinois, among others. Minnesota went to a rival state to land the seventh commit of the 2020 class.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound linebacker is the No. 54 rated outside linebacker, per 24/7 Sports rankings. He recently took a visit to the University of Minnesota and decided to commit on Wednesday night.

With this addition, the Gophers' 2020 class currently ranks No. 22 nationally and No. 6 in the Big Ten, according to 24/Sports rankings.

Here's a look at his junior season film:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7899882/5beba2561600b113f814c8ed' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Nice get, looks like quite the athlete to be playing CB and WR.

Seems strange that his high school plays him as a corner, but I'm stoked

Take that Bucky! Welcome aboard!

Considering his offer list I don’t think the Fadgers are losing any sleep on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering his offer list I don’t think the Fadgers are losing any sleep on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The instate linebacker they have committed doesn't have any other offers, but is ranked higher, so there's that.

The state of Wisconsin has produced an unusually high amount of D-1 caliber players this cycle. They already have the top 1-5 signed. Theyre not gonna sign them all.

Welcome aboard mr finnessey.

The state of Wisconsin has produced an unusually high amount of D-1 caliber players this cycle. They already have the top 1-5 signed. Theyre not gonna sign them all.

Welcome aboard mr finnessey.

Lucas is the smart one for getting out of Madison, he'll be the one that gets to hold the axe each year.

It's because he's Finnessey.

I'll show myself out.

mX6Ymbc.gif

Hopefully he'll work out like Jack Cichy did for Wisconsin. Jack was a Hill Murray kid that went to Wisky (I know he's from Somerset WI so not quite the same).

It's pretty amazing to see a player that size at CB. He should have the speed and coverage ability to play OLB.

"Even if Wisconsin offers, I am committed to the University of Minnesota."

Good to hear.

Last edited:

I really try to keep my head clear of things like: 3 star this, 4 star that, 3rd ranked WR from X state, etc.

So forgive my ignorance here.

I usually see Wisconsin HS football to be similar to MN. This kid is listed as a 3 star on 247 sports. When is the last time there has been a MN 3 star kid that the Gophers didn't bother to offer? Does Wisconsin have so many 3 and 4 star players running around that they can afford to not offer some of them?

Last edited:

"Even if Wisconsin offers, I am committed to the University of Minnesota."

Good to hear.

Who was the WI kid we heard the same thing from like maybe 4-5 years ago? He ended up switching over to WI. D-lineman maybe?

Who was the WI kid we heard the same thing from like maybe 4-5 years ago? He ended up switching over to WI. D-lineman maybe?

I remember a punter doing this with Brewster, but don't recall the level of commitment from the guy. Brewster may have put quite a bit of pressure on him to commit.

I really try to keep my head clear of things like: 3 star this, 4 star that, 3rd ranked WR from X state, etc.

I usually see Wisconsin HS football to be similar to MN. This kid is listed as a 3 star on 247 sports. When is the last time there has been a MN 3 star kid that the Gophers didn't bother to offer? Does Wisconsin have so many 3 and 4 star players running around that they can afford to not offer some of them?

There are usually between 3-5 no doubt offers every year in Wisconsin. Not that they will pan out, but deserving of offers on thier board at the time. For the rest, they typically want to see them come to camp and battle for an offer. If the player they don't offer early gets another offer and commits somewhere else, they typically don't counter offer if the player does not fit in with their plans at that time. Their goal is to get as many borderline kids to walk on as they can. Certainly does not mean they don't miss on kids that they decide not to offer.

247 Composite 3 stars not offered by Gophers...

2020:
Aidan Bouman, QB
Noah Pappas, OT
Isaiah Green, DE
Hunter Zenzen, LB
Seth Anderson, OG
DeAndre Hill, RB
Cornelius Wooten, WR

2019:
Evan Hull, RB
Omar Brown, CB
Hunter Poncius, OT