Reaction score
1. Matthew Hurt - Just about gone.
2. Zeke Nnaji - Arizona.
3. Tyrell Terry - Stanford.
4. Robert Jones - Denver U.
5. Tyler Wahl - Wisconsin.
6. David Roddy - Colorado State.

Where is Ben Johnson when you need him?

This is very disconcerting. Furthermore, there is only one recruit for 2019 (Tre Williams - signed).

With Amir Coffey leaving for the NBA and Isaiah Washington transferring - they need players fast either through transfers or late signees.

Pitino has to move on the 2020 class also. He has to get his recruiting up. Running out of excuses and time's a ticking.

Coffey might be leaving, but it isn’t for the nba

Only 4 of those 6 players do I as a fan have any interest in seeing play for the gophers

Tre Williams is more highly regarded than all but the top 2. As would be Sherfield and Crowley

Should have been titled top 6 missing out on being gophers

Perfect. I hope it works out great at Stanford for him.

Tyrell Terry is rated ahead of all three of them

Yep, and he will be going to Stanford. Arguably one of the most academically prestigious and competitive universities in the U.S if not the world. Super happy for him. Only a complete fool would pick the U over Stanford.

Tyrell Terry is rated ahead of all three of them

We did already have Isaiah Washington and Marcus Carr on the roster at the time Terry committed though, and I think most of us were still expecting Washington to be a staple in the starting lineup at that point. Point guard might not have been considered a position of need. Also Zeke Nnaji is ranked in about the same area as Daniel Oturu and plays about the position, PF vs center.

So in this list of 6 we have:
1 5 star
1 almost 5 star
2 mid-major level players
1 4 star at a position where, at the time of his commitment, we already had adequate depth
and Tyler Wahl. We also got a commit from Tray Jackson, a higher ranked player at the same position, not too long afterward. Obviously he didn't stick, but I'm going to wait and see before I skewer the staff for not getting Tyler Wahl. I was also told that Alex Illikainen was going to torch us for 4 years and be a thorn in this program's side.

Tre Williams is more highly regarded than all but the top 2. As would be Sherfield and Crowley

Have you seen the tree you speak of. Terry is pretty damn special but he was not coming here. Are you confident that Sherfield and Crowley are coming here ? Texas Tech has made a pretty big push down the stretch.

Have you seen the tree you speak of. Terry is pretty damn special but he was not coming here. Are you confident that Sherfield and Crowley are coming here ? Texas Tech has made a pretty big push down the stretch.

Texas Tech had made a big push on who?

We want players who want to be here! Only top 2 are skilled. I would only want Hurt from this list and it might still happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We want players who want to be here! Only top 2 are skilled. I would only want Hurt from this list and it might still happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree on who really wants to be here but Terry is incredibly skilled in my eyes and his scale of improvement is crazy.

Terry is a stud. High IQ and very skilled. Tough to not get him, but he was always academically focused and you can't blame him. This thread has been hashed out so many times... anyone who wouldn't want Zeke or Hurt is just ignorant. Both are NBA guys and both are very realistically 1 and done guys.

2. Zeke Nnaji - Arizona.

This is very disconcerting. Furthermore, there is only one recruit for 2019 (Tre Williams - signed).

With Amir Coffey leaving for the NBA and Isaiah Washington transferring - they need players fast either through transfers or late signees.

Pitino has to move on the 2020 class also. He has to get his recruiting up. Running out of excuses and time's a ticking.

If Ben was here, who of those 6 do we get?

As far as 2020 guys, We've offered 5 guys in the 2020 class and had coaches at plenty of games, plus had them as invites all the time. What else would you like?

I am critical of Pitino's recruiting, but they wanted Matthew and Zeke out of that group. You can argue that they should of made Tyrell or Tyler a priority but they didn't. I was fine with them not recruiting them seriously at the time, but I also assumed they would be on similarly regarded players who were better fits from elsewhere. Maybe Williams has become that with regards to Wahl. There isn't a match for Terry in terms of a lead ball handler yet but maybe that's Sherfield. It's concerning the number of kids they brought in for visits and lost to other programs. On the whole, they haven't won a recruiting battle for an out of state high school prospect since Isaiah Washington. There's a lot of misses in there, a lot of losses to programs like Pitt, Vandy, Houston, etc. They need to start winning those battles and hopefully beat out the occasional Duke/Kansas/UNC for a local stud. The recruiting drop off really started with the Oturu/Kalscheur/Omersa class as we tried and failed on at least a dozen out of state guards to join that trio.

I am critical of Pitino's recruiting, but they wanted Matthew and Zeke out of that group. You can argue that they should of made Tyrell or Tyler a priority but they didn't. I was fine with them not recruiting them seriously at the time, but I also assumed they would be on similarly regarded players who were better fits from elsewhere. Maybe Williams has become that with regards to Wahl. There isn't a match for Terry in terms of a lead ball handler yet but maybe that's Sherfield. It's concerning the number of kids they brought in for visits and lost to other programs. On the whole, they haven't won a recruiting battle for an out of state high school prospect since Isaiah Washington. There's a lot of misses in there, a lot of losses to programs like Pitt, Vandy, Houston, etc. They need to start winning those battles and hopefully beat out the occasional Duke/Kansas/UNC for a local stud. The recruiting drop off really started with the Oturu/Kalscheur/Omersa class as we tried and failed on at least a dozen out of state guards to join that trio.

Quite a few flaws here. First the Gophers were all over Terry for quite awhile. Offered plenty early, were at his AAU games and Ben Johnson was his lead. His loss may have affected it, but the kid just chose Stanford for academics.

We did need to win an out of state battle last year because we filled our class with MN freshman. So what battle did we need to win? I think Pitino and Gophers thought Carr would be eligible. Now that is a fair thing to criticize trusting the NCAA.

How do you consider a class with Oruro and Kalchaeur a drop off? Those are about as good as we can get. String a couple of those (2-3) and you are top 4 big ten

2. Zeke Nnaji - Arizona.

Grow up dude...Gophs did not recruit Jones.were very late and soft on roddy....hurt is not yet gone....really stupid of you not to know this

Yep, and he will be going to Stanford. Arguably one of the most academically prestigious and competitive universities in the U.S if not the world. Super happy for him. Only a complete fool would pick the U over Stanford.

This^^^ plus the campus and climate are amazing

Sometimes you guys are exhausting. In my mind, Pitino should get a 3 year extension based solely on the idea of Kalschuer and Oturo (potentially Omersa) being on this team for 3 more years. They both have the potential to be all-timers. Pitino and his staff have only had them for a few months and look at the productivity. It is NOT about what they do in AAU ball or HS or prep school, it’s about what they do when they arrive. Did anyone see Gabe being a lockdown defender or the best 3-point option as a freshmen? If so, you are a fool. Did anyone see Oturo hanging through an ultra competitive bug 10 conference, as a freshmen? See above? Did anyone see Omersa becoming the emotional lynchpin of this team, as a freshmen (abd if you think that’s a joke, then you clearly have never played a team sport)? The future is bright for our gophers. If pitino continues to hit at a rate of 55-60% over the next 3 years on guys who fit team chemistry and can play, I have no doubt the second weekend is in play for the next. 3 years.

I wish Pitino could recruit better too! Snag every excellent player from inside the state. But nobody has been able to do that at this job, Not Tubby Smith, Not Dan Monson, Its impossible. Trust in the Coach to find the right puzzle pieces to create a once in a generation squad! RAH!!

2. Zeke Nnaji - Arizona.

The sky is falling! There are no other basketball players in the world besides these six that would jump at a full division one scholarship. Whatever will we do??? s/

2. Zeke Nnaji - Arizona.

The several other recruiting threads weren't sufficient enough to discuss this?

The sky is falling! There are no other basketball players in the world besides these six that would jump at a full division one scholarship. Whatever will we do??? s/

Exactly. I have zero trouble with how we recruit if you minus the bad character guys. That list of 6 was pursued by priority and there is not any evidence that the staff missed a beat. My concern is how well we coach who we have as there was plenty of talent on hand to be above .500

Top Bottom