Source says #Gophers guard Amir Coffey will hire agent, and declare for the NBA draft

How would they 'know' he is not leaving?

Some guys are recruited as one and dones and some aren't. Tre wasn't recruited as a one and done.

The only chance he was going to leave after one year was if he had a great season in terms of individual stats and won a national title. (Similar to Tyus who also wasn't recruited as a one and done, but it made too much sense for him to go after the one season he and the team had plus getting a first round promise from Flip.)

Some guys are recruited as one and dones and some aren't. Tre wasn't recruited as a one and done.

The only chance he was going to leave after one year was if he had a great season in terms of individual stats and won a national title. (Similar to Tyus who also wasn't recruited as a one and done, but it made too much sense for him to go after the one season he and the team had plus getting a first round promise from Flip.)

We'll see. I could see him entering and going late first.

Maybe he'll transfer home to be closer to his mom... right.

We'll see. I could see him entering and going late first.

Maybe he'll transfer home to be closer to his mom... right.

Wouldn't surprise me if he put his name in to get feedback. No reason not to.

If some team gives him a first round guarantee then he might think about it more, but I'd expect him to stick to the plan.

And hey, if he decides he doesn't like Durham and mom comes down with a cold then maybe he could transfer here and be eligible right away.

Wouldn't surprise me if he put his name in to get feedback. No reason not to.

If some team gives him a first round guarantee then he might think about it more, but I'd expect him to stick to the plan.

And hey, if he decides he doesn't like Durham and mom comes down with a cold then maybe he could transfer here and be eligible right away.
His mom has cancer

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft - No Amir, no surprise.

Updated today. I like to check this out to see how they move people around after the Sweet 16, Elite 8, etc. games. Tre Jones went from late 1st, to early second... now he's not even shown as a second rounder?

Going to Duke sure worked out for him..... not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going to Duke sure worked out for him..... not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does seem to have worked out for him. He went to the Elite 8 and will likely get drafted next year.

Amir on the other hand stayed home and also isn't on the draft chart.

Maybe staying or leaving has nothing to do with it?

It does seem to have worked out for him. He went to the Elite 8 and will likely get drafted next year.

Agree, aside from not winning a national title, he must of had a blast this year.

I’m about 80% sure he will be back. Even Happ last year went through this process knowing he had near 0% chance of being drafted. He’ll go to the combine and some scouts will tell him they will look at him in the mid to late 2nd round and what he needs to work on and he’ll pull his name before the deadline. If he does stay in the draft we are a bottom tier team next year.

If he hires an agent, can he come back?
(or am I confusing this with FB?)

Yes.

If he is not invited to the combine, he has until may 29th to back out

If he is invited to the combine he can come back if he goes undrafted but not if he does get drafted.

Theres only around 60-70 combine invites so its unlikely he will get invited which means May 29th will probably be the date he has to decide by.

Kind of surprised Happ didn't make the list.

I don't recall ever seeing Happ on a mock draft board. He is the typical type of player that the NBA figures the skill set won't translate well into the NBA game. I don't remember seeing Mike Daum either.

Yes.

If he is not invited to the combine, he has until may 29th to back out

If he is invited to the combine he can come back if he goes undrafted but not if he does get drafted.

Theres only around 60-70 combine invites so its unlikely he will get invited which means May 29th will probably be the date he has to decide by.

Don't you have to pull out a certain number of days before the draft? The draft isn't until the end of June. That's a pretty long time to wait.

I’m about 80% sure he will be back. Even Happ last year went through this process knowing he had near 0% chance of being drafted. He’ll go to the combine and some scouts will tell him they will look at him in the mid to late 2nd round and what he needs to work on and he’ll pull his name before the deadline. If he does stay in the draft we are a bottom tier team next year.

Honestly I don't think there is anything he can do at this point (with one year left) to make it into the first round. Second round probably is the best he can hope for.

Honestly I don't think there is anything he can do at this point (with one year left) to make it into the first round. Second round probably is the best he can hope for.

Amir being a first rounder next year is a long shot...

He hasn't played in a fully functioning offense with a real PG since half-way through his sophomore year. How much can be improve his 3 point shooting if he's being hit with open looks on the run instead of creating his own from the top of the key like most of this year? To me, that's the biggest flaw he has to fix. If can get his 3 point % closer to 40 than 30, he has a shot.

He hasn't played in a fully functioning offense with a real PG since half-way through his sophomore year. How much can be improve his 3 point shooting if he's being hit with open looks on the run instead of creating his own from the top of the key like most of this year? To me, that's the biggest flaw he has to fix. If can get his 3 point % closer to 40 than 30, he has a shot.

I'm just playing the odds. Go back over the last 5 NBA drafts and count how many seniors were drafted in the first round. You won't get to 20 total (out of 150 picks).
I think that would be especially difficult for a senior who had not been on mock drafts before his senior year. Buddy Hield was a high pick a few years ago but I believe he was on the radar before that and averaged 25 points a game as a senior. I think Coffey would have to have one hell of a year to get to the first round.

Also, I'm not convinced yet that we'll have a fully functioning offense with a real point guard next year so I'm not going to predict that Coffey will soar because of that at this time.

Playing a 6'8" wing at point guard hurt Amir's stock. I know people on here seem to think it made him look more appealing, but in the NBA - 3&D wings are extremely important right now. Every team is looking to add that type of player. Playing without a PG hurt Amir's shooting percentage, hurt his rebounding numbers and hurt his efficiency.

Amir will not be back with the Gophers. He will go to the NBA or be a grad transfer to a blue blood.

Maybe that changes without Pitino.
If I remember correctly, wasn't it stated by Richard C. during the recruitment of Amir that he wanted him to play PG?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If can get his 3 point % closer to 40 than 30, he has a shot.

"Do we want to draft this guy?"

"Nah, he only shot 34% from 3. Let's find someone who shot 36% and draft him instead."

If I remember correctly, wasn't it stated by Richard C. during the recruitment of Amir that he wanted him to play PG?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, I remember reading those statements from his father as well when he was being recruited. I guess that's one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments.

Playing a 6'8" wing at point guard hurt Amir's stock. I know people on here seem to think it made him look more appealing, but in the NBA - 3&D wings are extremely important right now. Every team is looking to add that type of player. Playing without a PG hurt Amir's shooting percentage, hurt his rebounding numbers and hurt his efficiency.

Amir will not be back with the Gophers. He will go to the NBA or be a grad transfer to a blue blood.

I don't have an opinion on the last statement but I think you're absolutely right on your statement about how Coffey was used this year not helping his pro prospects.

I don't have an opinion on the last statement but I think you're absolutely right on your statement about how Coffey was used this year not helping his pro prospects.

I disagree. How would being 6'8" and having the ability to play PG, plus being the focal point of the offense, not help your pro prospects?

I disagree. How would being 6'8" and having the ability to play PG, plus being the focal point of the offense, not help your pro prospects?

Because he doesnt play point guard well. He spent a year working on a position that he cant play well enough to be useful at the NBA level.

It helped him develop combo guard skills which is what the NBA is all about. Amir and his father have been given great advice from former NBA guys all along and it is about versatility . I hate to tell anyone to watch the NBA but if you do you will see less and less label of point guard initiating offense. Coffey is a very intriguing prospect. Do i think he is ready ? No. But they look at what you might become. The Coffeys may think he will be getting better coaching and he can work on his craft all the time. I do not buy that as i think you mostly get one shot and then your G-league and then gone. Maybe the college game is thrilling for him, maybe its not. Hell, what do i know. Hunter for UVA will be a top 10 pick that i think should come back but he wont.

I'd be curious how many G-league players actually get pulled up to the NBA each year.

on a side note. Mason seems to be thriving in the G-league.

It helped him develop combo guard skills which is what the NBA is all about. Amir and his father have been given great advice from former NBA guys all along and it is about versatility . I hate to tell anyone to watch the NBA but if you do you will see less and less label of point guard initiating offense. Coffey is a very intriguing prospect. Do i think he is ready ? No. But they look at what you might become. The Coffeys may think he will be getting better coaching and he can work on his craft all the time. I do not buy that as i think you mostly get one shot and then your G-league and then gone. Maybe the college game is thrilling for him, maybe its not. Hell, what do i know. Hunter for UVA will be a top 10 pick that i think should come back but he wont.

Exactly. Playing PG only helped Coffey showcase his versatility. Playing the position 'well' is subjective. He was still the PG on a team that won a game in the NCAA tournament.

What limit's Coffey is his shooting ability. It's not just his 3 point percentage, he just doesn't have the greatest looking stroke. That likely won't translate well to the next level.

per Shooter:

Amir Coffey, who finished his junior season with the Gophers with a flourish and is in the process of declaring for June’s NBA draft, has an option to withdraw by May 29 without penalty. That would leave him eligible for his senior season at Minnesota, which seems a likely outcome.

“It’s a great opportunity to get a lot of information,” Coffey’s father Richard, the former Gopher-Timberwolf, said of NBA consideration. “Amir will learn a lot about himself between now and that time and have a whole lot more information than he has now. Regardless, it’ll help you develop as a player.”

It’s important, Richard emphasized, that Amir earn his college degree.

“That’s big for our family,” he said. “That’s a big goal we have for all of our kids. His two sisters have their degrees.”

Amir, by the way, was named after Richard’s best friend when the two were teammates playing professionally in Turkey.

“He was super excited,” Richard said, when he told his friend he would name his son after him.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/06/3329852/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom