Source says #Gophers guard Amir Coffey will hire agent, and declare for the NBA draft

I'd buy the first part. Complete hearsay on the bolded parth though. I call B.S on your source.

If Amir doesn't like Pitino, then he's going to have a hard time finding a coach he does like. Amir has been the golden boy since stepping on campus. He's the only player allowed to make mistakes without getting yanked (or even scolded).

Maybe he didn't like the ultimate green light? Playing as many minutes as he pleased?

There you go again: declaring what a "real fan" should want. I happened to stumble into the "off-topic" thread recently and saw that you were a right winger so I guess this is a natural extension of the habit of declaring who is a "real American."

Disasters are OK once in awhile especially if they happen in a coach's first year. One of the things that hurt Pitino was that his first year was pretty decent and his disasters came later. Personally I don't think we make the tournament next year even if Pitino stays, especially if Coffey goes. If we're going to have a bad year, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it so I'll just try to appreciate the gradual improvements along the way.

Please point out to me where I said "real fan". I said any Gopher fan should want the scenario I painted: Coffey stays, Pitino stays, the Gophers go to the tournament again and we have a solid roster. That is a situation where we win now and are set up for a solid future. If Pitino leaves in the next week, we will have a mess on our hands.

Coffey does not have the shooting ability to play in NBA 30% from college 3..translates to around 25% NBA....Coffey is not a NBA guard prospect ...3 prospect IF he significantly o proves his shot...do not see him transferring and sitting....would make nice coin oversees but players usually come back to college if not a guaranteed big money first rounder....
He shot 34.5% from 3 his first two years

Please point out to me where I said "real fan". I said any Gopher fan should want the scenario I painted: Coffey stays, Pitino stays, the Gophers go to the tournament again and we have a solid roster. That is a situation where we win now and are set up for a solid future. If Pitino leaves in the next week, we will have a mess on our hands.

+10000

we would take a monster step backwards if we lose coach and Amir, and only one recruit on the line.

If Amir doesn't like Pitino, then he's going to have a hard time finding a coach he does like. Amir has been the golden boy since stepping on campus. He's the only player allowed to make mistakes without getting yanked (or even scolded).

Maybe he didn't like the ultimate green light? Playing as many minutes as he pleased?

Playing a 6'8" wing at point guard hurt Amir's stock. I know people on here seem to think it made him look more appealing, but in the NBA - 3&D wings are extremely important right now. Every team is looking to add that type of player. Playing without a PG hurt Amir's shooting percentage, hurt his rebounding numbers and hurt his efficiency.

Amir will not be back with the Gophers. He will go to the NBA or be a grad transfer to a blue blood.

Maybe that changes without Pitino.

Playing a 6'8" wing at point guard hurt Amir's stock. I know people on here seem to think it made him look more appealing, but in the NBA - 3&D wings are extremely important right now. Every team is looking to add that type of player. Playing without a PG hurt Amir's shooting percentage, hurt his rebounding numbers and hurt his efficiency.

Amir will not be back with the Gophers. He will go to the NBA or be a grad transfer to a blue blood.

Has he even graduated yet? If not, does he have enough credits to finish up in the summer?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

There you go again: declaring what a "real fan" should want. I happened to stumble into the "off-topic" thread recently and saw that you were a right winger so I guess this is a natural extension of the habit of declaring who is a "real American."

Disasters are OK once in awhile especially if they happen in a coach's first year. One of the things that hurt Pitino was that his first year was pretty decent and his disasters came later. Personally I don't think we make the tournament next year even if Pitino stays, especially if Coffey goes. If we're going to have a bad year, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it so I'll just try to appreciate the gradual improvements along the way.

It’s funny how this board is more toxic the better the Gophers do. Almost like some people on here are just trolls who don’t really not care about the program. If Coffey leaves and gets drafted, Awesome. People on here complain that the team can’t recruit a high-ranked in-state player like Hurt yet we haven’t produced a NBA player in years. Coffey has had a good career and deserves to test the waters. It’s not the end of the world if he leaves. I’m confident we will recruit one of Sherfield or Crowley, if not both, meaning we could have four or possibly five 4-star backcourt players joining the Gophers next year. That’s unprecedented talent for the program

Not possible. The more I have time to reflect on this...I think he will either be drafted or return to the U. He seems to have a good relationship with his teammates and Pitino. I don't see him playing abroad vs returning for a senior season.

Source???? all speculation and hearsay unless you have a source.

Not possible. The more I have time to reflect on this...I think he will either be drafted or return to the U. He seems to have a good relationship with his teammates and Pitino. I don't see him playing abroad vs returning for a senior season.

This is my thought 100%. If Amir can even be a 2nd round pick, then I won't begrudge him leaving and he's probably making the right choice.

If he's undrafted, I fully expect him back.

Normally I really enjoy your posts but this is complete hearsay and I'm not buying it.

Even worse...headed in the wrong direction

that's not "even worse" and you know it. What would be worse is if Coffey was a 30% shooter all 3 years... Coffey has proven he can hit the outside shot. It's clear that this past offseason he was focusing on other skills and so the 3-point shot lagged a bit. Plus it was hard for him to find his best spots on the floor as he was playing a new position. Coffey's outside shooting this season wasn't good, but I highly doubt it worries NBA scouts

I think even getting picked in the second round is a mistake for him. He is possibly a first rounder next year. that's the MILLION dollar question for him.

What? what you just said there was Ludacris

did you read the rest of my post? He was a 34.5% outside shooter his first two years at high volume.. That alone counters any poor shooting display he had this year

that's not "even worse" and you know it. What would be worse is if Coffey was a 30% shooter all 3 years... Coffey has proven he can hit the outside shot. It's clear that this past offseason he was focusing on other skills and so the 3-point shot lagged a bit. Plus it was hard for him to find his best spots on the floor as he was playing a new position. Coffey's outside shooting this season wasn't good, but I highly doubt it worries NBA scouts

Coffey ncaa 3pt shooting has never been above average...NBA 3 a lot more difficult ....will need to greatly improve it to play in NBA....His free throw % is below NBA average..... Will need to be a NBA 3 point threat to set up dribble drive at the NBA Level

I think even getting picked in the second round is a mistake for him. He is possibly a first rounder next year. that's the MILLION dollar question for him.

I do think IF he comes back next season...playing on the wing, with a real PG, he could potentially win B1G POY and work himself into a late 1st round pick.

Coffey ncaa 3pt shooting has never been above average...NBA 3 a lot more difficult ....will need to greatly improve it to play in NBA....His free throw % is below NBA average..... Will need to be a NBA 3 point threat to set up dribble drive at the NBA Level

I agree with this

Chandler Hutchinson would be a good example here. Declared after his junior season at Boise State but withdrew from the draft and returned to school. Has a great senior season and worked his way into the late 1st round (#22 overall by the Bulls).

Despite the narrative, it's entirely possible for seniors to improve their stock and move up in the draft.

Will be interesting to see if pitino holds his scholarship until as late as late May ..or recruits as if Coffey is done

Don't know if it was posted before but here is a question answered about Amir in an article on the draft in "The Athletic." The author, Sam Vecenie, covers both college ball and the NBA. He did a mock draft of the top 100 players as he saw them. Amir wasn't on it. Question was where he saw Amir as a prospect.

Probably within the next 15 or so guys off this board. Very interesting as a big, long playmaker at his size. But I worry about the athleticism, and obviously the jump shot consistency is a significant question mark.

Don't know if it was posted before but here is a question answered about Amir in an article on the draft in "The Athletic." The author, Sam Vecenie, covers both college ball and the NBA. He did a mock draft of the top 100 players as he saw them. Amir wasn't on it. Question was where he saw Amir as a prospect.

Probably within the next 15 or so guys off this board. Very interesting as a big, long playmaker at his size. But I worry about the athleticism, and obviously the jump shot consistency is a significant question mark.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft - No Amir, no surprise.

Updated today. I like to check this out to see how they move people around after the Sweet 16, Elite 8, etc. games. Tre Jones went from late 1st, to early second... now he's not even shown as a second rounder?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft - No Amir, no surprise.

Updated today. I like to check this out to see how they move people around after the Sweet 16, Elite 8, etc. games. Tre Jones went from late 1st, to early second... now he's not even shown as a second rounder?

Probably because they know Tre isn't leaving so they just took him off the board

I actually think Amir will prefer to move back to the wing. He can boost his scoring average, improve his 3 pt% (catch and shoot looks vs. off the dribble), get out on the break more, etc. Richard basically said as much recently on a local podcast.

If Amir wasn’t a fan of playing PG that is on the old man not Pitino. He had been advocating for him to play PG since he set foot on campus.

Top Bottom