Source says #Gophers guard Amir Coffey will hire agent, and declare for the NBA draft

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Marcus: Door is still open for him to return for senior season, however.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Probably smart to do. Not much upside in staying. But once he isn't drafted, he can come back, as I understand the rules now...

I seem to remember this was the plan all along. Even saw quotes a month ago from father saying with new rules that they would at least test the waters. This is just formalizing the process. Sure, he may not come back, but I don't think this is a new development.

If he can get drafted, more power to him, he should leave. As of now, he isn't on any draft boards and those boards factor anyone, declared or not.

I seem to remember this was the plan all along. Even saw quotes a month ago from father saying with new rules that they would at least test the waters. This is just formalizing the process. Sure, he may not come back, but I don't think this is a new development.

If he can get drafted, more power to him, he should leave. As of now, he isn't on any draft boards and those boards factor anyone, declared or not.

100%, this was always the plan. If you followed Richard's comments all season then this isn't a surprise.

Amir is smart to test the waters and go through the process. But I fully expect him back next season barring some major development.

Let him go test the water. Voshan Leonard did the same thing and ended up returning to the Gophers for his senior year. I feel he will even be a better player next year with the Gophers with a true point guard

In the past if you hired an agent you were not eligible to come back right? At least I remember hearing something like that. So if the rules do change then I am glad he cold return if he is t drafted.

Sorry for all the questions. If he isn’t drafted in the first round but does get picked up in the second do you anticipate he would be satisfied with that or do you think he would return for his senior year?

I literally said the same thing - I was like, is this news? I thought this is what was happening. Wish the very best to him, great family, & Amir is a great kid!

I literally said the same thing - I was like, is this news? I thought this is what was happening. Wish the very best to him, great family, & Amir is a great kid!

+1 He is a great kid. My son and I bumped into him at the Rosedale Mall once (in Goldys Locker of all places) and he was very approachable and appreciative for the support. I wish the best for him and selfishly hope he returns for another glorious year.

I have 2 thoughts:

1. If I were him, even if I get a low 2nd round draft grade, I'd probably go pro anyways. Look at Trevor. The guys has been raking in cash overseas for years. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Go play for money while you can and see the world. If he is realistic with himself, a career in the NBA is improbable whether he comes back or not.

2. If he does go, I'd bolt if I was Pitino. Your reputation couldn't be better right now, and it will almost certainly take a big step next season with Coffey leaving. Arkansas might sound pretty good right now.

Last edited:

His Instagram makes it seem like he’s pretty set on the decision. This wasn’t a “I’m testing the waters” thing.

We’ll find out how serious he is about going pro. Might not just be an nba thing for him.

His Instagram makes it seem like he’s pretty set on the decision. This wasn’t a “I’m testing the waters” thing.

We’ll find out how serious he is about going pro. Might not just be an nba thing for him.

That was my thought as well.

Hopefully he does come back though.

I have 2 thoughts:

1. If I were him, even if I get a low 2nd round draft grade, I'd probably go pro anyways. Look at Trevor. The guys has been raking in cash overseas for years. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Go play for money while you can and see the world.

2. If he does go, I'd bolt if I was Pitino. Your reputation couldn't be better right now, and it will almost certainly take a big step back with Coffey leaving.

Agree. When I saw those Arkansas rumors...I said there is no way that Pitino would leave MN for Arkansas. Now with Coffey seeming 100% gone, I think the odds of making the tourney next year are very low. I don't think Pitino survives if we miss the tourney next year, so might as well leave before you get fired.

Gonna be a interesting 48 to 72 hours for Pitino.

If he doesn't get picked, I can't imagine he will go overseas instead of coming back. That said, I'm sure he intends to put his all over these next two months into getting picked.

I have 2 thoughts:

1. If I were him, even if I get a low 2nd round draft grade, I'd probably go pro anyways. Look at Trevor. The guys has been raking in cash overseas for years. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Go play for money while you can and see the world. If he is realistic with himself, a career in the NBA is improbable whether he comes back or not.

2. If he does go, I'd bolt if I was Pitino. Your reputation couldn't be better right now, and it will almost certainly take a big step next season with Coffey leaving. Arkansas might sound pretty good right now.

Amir probably could have played professionally overseas after HS if he wanted to and most definitely after his freshman year. At this point, might as well get your degree and finish up your eligibility at a place that loves you, will have more fan support than an overseas team and at a place close to home that your familiar with. Barring some sort of absolutely catastrophic injury, the overseas route will always be there for him.

Could just be more of a PR thing. Want to give the impression that you're all in on moving on and not just "testing the waters."

Would be great to have some clarity on this. Whether he’s 100% gone or weighing his options by doing this.

So he can stay in it all the way up until the draft and return if he doesn't get drafted??

That seems like a good way to have a whole team's college fan base cheer against a kid getting drafted, strange byproduct.

So he can stay in it all the way up until the draft and return if he doesn't get drafted??

That seems like a good way to have a whole team's college fan base cheer against a kid getting drafted, strange byproduct.

Actually, it can very good news for a program to put kids in the NBA no matter when they go.

Actually, it can very good news for a program to put kids in the NBA no matter when they go.

Amir going late in the second round, playing in the G-league and Minnesota missing the tourney next year is going to do a lot more bad than good for the program. Even if Amir does play in the NBA it would still be much better for the program if they make the tourney because we certainly aren't without him baring some sort of miracle.

This is why we recruit depth. I'd like to see him on the team next year, but if not, good for him for achieving his dream and next man up.

Sorry for all the questions. If he isn’t drafted in the first round but does get picked up in the second do you anticipate he would be satisfied with that or do you think he would return for his senior year?

If he gets drafted he cant come back

This is why we recruit depth. I'd like to see him on the team next year, but if not, good for him for achieving his dream and next man up.

Agreed, he shouldn't be held accountable for what he might be leaving behind. It is not Amir's responsibility to look out for Pitino or the program. Amir has the chance to make a life changing amount of money.

Nothing is guaranteed and I would hate to see him getting injured playing for the Gophers next year. Plus, idk how much he has to gain coming back, even if he has another monster year its not like he would become a lottery pick. With his age and perceived ceiling, he would be at most a late first rounder. Might as well go a year early and be a second rounder. If Keita Bates Diop was able to find a role, Coffey can right now as well.

Coffey this year, Oturo next year, soon we’ll be like Duke.

I just cant see him getting drafted. With all do respect, he had a great month of playing but needs consistency. I hope to see him back but wish him the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If Coffey isn't a first rounder he will be back at the U. First rounders get guaranteed contracts in the NBA. 2nd rounders have to fight for a roster spot, play D League or go overseas. None of those options are very good and certainly not worth the chance especially if he were to develop for one more year in college with the hopes of being selected in the first round. It's a no-brainer that he declared. My guess is that he gets good info and finds out it is in his best interests to return for his senior year to improve his stock for the following year NBA draft.

Wishful thinking......

If Coffey isn't a first rounder he will be back at the U. First rounders get guaranteed contracts in the NBA. 2nd rounders have to fight for a roster spot, play D League or go overseas. None of those options are very good and certainly not worth the chance especially if he were to develop for one more year in college with the hopes of being selected in the first round. It's a no-brainer that he declared. My guess is that he gets good info and finds out it is in his best interests to return for his senior year to improve his stock for the following year NBA draft.

He will not be back.

Top Bottom