Source says #Gophers guard Amir Coffey will hire agent, and declare for the NBA draft

He can't wait to see if he gets drafted or not, and then decide. If he's coming back he has to make that decision by May 29th. The NBA draft happens three weeks after that, on June 20th. If he stays declared for the draft after May 29th, then even if he doesn't get drafted he cannot come back to play college ball.

I hope he stays as next year. With more skilled shooters on the team and true PGs he'll get a lot more open looks. That would lead to better shooting percentages for him, and that's the key for him getting into the NBA. But, alas, I think he stays in the draft, at best gets a mid to late 2nd round pick, and ends up overseas. He just doesn't have the three-point shot percentage that he needs to make it in the NBA. He can be a star in the right league, but right now that's not the NBA.

He can't wait to see if he gets drafted or not, and then decide. If he's coming back he has to make that decision by May 29th. The NBA draft happens three weeks after that, on June 20th. If he stays declared for the draft after May 29th, then even if he doesn't get drafted he cannot come back to play college ball.

I hope he stays as next year. With more skilled shooters on the team and true PGs he'll get a lot more open looks. That would lead to better shooting percentages for him, and that's the key for him getting into the NBA. But, alas, I think he stays in the draft, at best gets a mid to late 2nd round pick, and ends up overseas. He just doesn't have the three-point shot percentage that he needs to make it in the NBA. He can be a star in the right league, but right now that's not the NBA.

No, you're wrong. That was the previous rule. This year is the first year they can stay in and come back if they go undrafted. The Strib article lays it out

I would be quite surprised if Amir isn't on the Gophers roster next year, but wish him the best with whatever path he ends up taking. He's certainly put in some work for us the last 3 years.

I would be quite surprised if Amir isn't on the Gophers roster next year, but wish him the best with whatever path he ends up taking. He's certainly put in some work for us the last 3 years.

Per many good sources, Amir will not be returning to the gophers next year regardless of what happens in the draft. Amir doesnt like Pitino and wants out

Per many good sources, Amir will not be returning to the gophers next year regardless of what happens in the draft. Amir doesnt like Pitino and wants out

Yep.

At the very least, with that news we can root for Amir in the draft process and on draft night instead of against him although part of me wants to hold out hope that he would come back.

Seems like cutting off his nose to spite his face, but more power to him. Would be an interesting move to leave early to go play overseas. I guess if what you're saying is at all true, then at least we can recruit for that spot instead of waiting til June to find out.

+1 He is a great kid. My son and I bumped into him at the Rosedale Mall once (in Goldys Locker of all places) and he was very approachable and appreciative for the support. I wish the best for him and selfishly hope he returns for another glorious year.

GREAT kid. Love his family too!

I'd buy the first part. Complete hearsay on the bolded parth though. I call B.S on your source.

Coffey this year, Oturo next year, soon we’ll be like Duke.

Not quite. They have incoming replacements who are as good or better than the guys drafted.

Maybe Amir didn’t like Pitino’s strategy of you do it all Amir or we lose. You and Jordan. Maybe Amir knows he can’t learn or develop anymore under Richie. Maybe Amir knows what good coaching is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if Amir doesn't return I'm trying to think of a scenario where next season goes well.

If we lose Coffey, next season will be an absolute disaster and a total rebuild year.

Agree. When I saw those Arkansas rumors...I said there is no way that Pitino would leave MN for Arkansas. Now with Coffey seeming 100% gone, I think the odds of making the tourney next year are very low. I don't think Pitino survives if we miss the tourney next year, so might as well leave before you get fired.

Gonna be a interesting 48 to 72 hours for Pitino.

I must have missed something. Did he get drafted?

I think Nadine said there was a chance he could come back, maybe that chance is if there is a new coach?

Maybe Amir didn’t like Pitino’s strategy of you do it all Amir or we lose. You and Jordan. Maybe Amir knows he can’t learn or develop anymore under Richie. Maybe Amir knows what good coaching is?

Gabe and Daniel were pretty big parts of the offense too. Our staff and Richard coached this group better than years past. Offensive sets, out of time outs, and defensive adjustments were improved over years past. Amir may not "like" Richard and that's ok. Bunch of the 97 guys hated Clem at the time too, but they knew he made them better.

Amir is doing the smart thing and doing his due dillegence. He will get valuable feedback and then he'll make his real decision. People need to relax. Having a player getting drafted or going to the NBA only helps in recruiting and that has been one of the biggest knocks against Richard.

Nigel Hayes and Happ both declared for NBA draft after their junior year and ended back

Declaring for draft doesn't mean as much as it used too since you can reverse your decision now.

I think i'ts good he tests waters, if he gets draft grade, he should go, even though it sucks for MN

Getting kids drafted benefits gophers in long run. Winning in Tournament and getting kids in NBA will raise our recruiting profile

I think Nadine said there was a chance he could come back, maybe that chance is if there is a new coach?

If you want to see a real disaster next year, that scenario would start with Pitino leaving, the Gophers scramble for two weeks to find the next coach while transfers and spring recruits are picking their new teams.

The best scenario- the one any Gopher fan should want, is where Pitino signs a good spring class, Coffey returns and we go to the NCAAs for the 3rd time in four years. Unprecedented here at the U.

I don't blame Amir for testing the waters after playing PG all year. But it's still unlikely he gets drafted.

He also knows he won't be playing PG next year, which he's likely not a fan of. He would be smart to work on his shot and return to his natural SF position. But these kids don't always get the best advice, or their parents vastly overrate how good their kids are.

Coffey does not have the shooting ability to play in NBA 30% from college 3..translates to around 25% NBA....Coffey is not a NBA guard prospect ...3 prospect IF he significantly o proves his shot...do not see him transferring and sitting....would make nice coin oversees but players usually come back to college if not a guaranteed big money first rounder....

If you want to see a real disaster next year, that scenario would start with Pitino leaving, the Gophers scramble for two weeks to find the next coach while transfers and spring recruits are picking their new teams.

The best scenario- the one any Gopher fan should want, is where Pitino signs a good spring class, Coffey returns and we go to the NCAAs for the 3rd time in four years. Unprecedented here at the U.

There you go again: declaring what a "real fan" should want. I happened to stumble into the "off-topic" thread recently and saw that you were a right winger so I guess this is a natural extension of the habit of declaring who is a "real American."

Disasters are OK once in awhile especially if they happen in a coach's first year. One of the things that hurt Pitino was that his first year was pretty decent and his disasters came later. Personally I don't think we make the tournament next year even if Pitino stays, especially if Coffey goes. If we're going to have a bad year, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it so I'll just try to appreciate the gradual improvements along the way.

I don't blame Amir for testing the waters after playing PG all year. But it's still unlikely he gets drafted.

He also knows he won't be playing PG next year, which he's likely not a fan of. He would be smart to work on his shot and return to his natural SF position. But these kids don't always get the best advice, or their parents vastly overrate how good their kids are.

I actually think Amir will prefer to move back to the wing. He can boost his scoring average, improve his 3 pt% (catch and shoot looks vs. off the dribble), get out on the break more, etc. Richard basically said as much recently on a local podcast.

Top Bottom