What does Pitino have to do in 2019-20 to keep his job?

I really don’t understand all of the people complaining about the thread. Pitino doesn’t have a good record, and our roster as it stands is atrocious. These threads will stop appearing if Pitino can create roster stability with depth. He’ll also get 7 years, so it’s not like we are trying to fire our way to success. This isn’t trolling, its being realistic.

In my opinion, as somebody else had already said, we will know if Pitino will be back based on how this spring and next fall recruiting cycles go. If he whiffs big time like he did this year, then Coyle will be in a good position to have his guy lined up. To be clear, I’d prefer for Pitino to succeed and strike gold, but there are unaddressed troubling signs that make threads like this totally legitimate.
"...fire our way to success". That's the college way isnt it? It's certainly one the U has followed consistently throughout the years...and one that has had a questionable track record of success at the U, I might add...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

For me there isn't any one thing or thing(s) that have to happen to continue the Richard Pitino experience its much more of a big picture "where is the program headed?"

Two different seasons:

Season A: Gophers have a season much like 2018 lead by an All B1G Amir Coffey and an improving Daniel Oturu. The team finished somewhere between 9-11 and 11-9 with some frustrating losses but manages to advance to the round of 32 for the second straight year. Pitino misses out on Suggs and loses Garcia and Danja to non Blue Bloods and has a class of kids committed that's currently 10th or worse in the conference.

Season B: Gophers finish around 8-12/7-13 in conference and were never in the big dance mix, but finish the season strong (somewhere in the Illinois to Penn State range this year) on the heels of strong play from Daniel, Gabe, and at least one or two more players with eligibility remaining for 2020. In this scenario Coffey is either not on the roster, simply doesn't have a huge Senior season, etc. Pitino has landed some combination of Suggs/Garcia/Danja/out of state kids that results in a top 5 class in the conference.

I'd be much more inclined to stick with Pitino after season B than season A. With season B, you can point to the future and see the real possibility of upward movement behind the young players and a renewed confidence in Pitino's ability to recruit. With season A, yes you made the tournament but where are you going in 2020? Where are your players coming from? What is the plan moving forward? It would be two bad recruiting years in a row and now there's no Amir Coffey to (hypothetically) carry you.

We're in bad situation right now in that Pitino did well enough on the court to keep his job this year (though the overall 6 years...), but not well enough to get himself off the hot seat and as long as he's on the hot seat, recruiting will be more of a challenge. I personally hope he knocks it out of the park on the recruiting trail first in the next month or so (impact guys for 2019) and continuing until November (some key 2020 commits between this Summer and signing day). If that happens, we will be making a dent in that 30 games under .500 conference record and a real extension and some security can be expected by this time next year.

Too many variables for my liking. His team did well in the last handful of games...Recency Effect. 70 of his 92 losses at the U are in conference. At minimum, he needs to maintain his non-con level of win %, finish over .500 in conference, and make the round of 32.

"...fire our way to success". That's the college way isnt it? It's certainly one the U has followed consistently throughout the years...and one that has had a questionable track record of success at the U, I might add...

Perhaps, but after 7 years, it’s fair to say that a coach just isn’t getting it here and it’s time to switch it up.

Aren't most cases of success instigated by a firing? I guess sometimes a successful coach is preceded by a retirement.

I can tell you you that these young athletes are pretty sharp about programs and coaches. They talk among their pairs and know who the best coaches are. They often are waiting to hear from the coach they really want but often never hear from. Recently was called by the family of a top 100 kid for some advice. In mostly listening to the young man he rattled off the records and accomplishments of the coaches in stunning accuracy . They do not need a message board to help them decide who is the best . The advice is to prioritize what matters. Who did you connect with, how important is immediate playing time, what do you want to study, how much does winning big matter. What about location, does staying home matter. If location is not first they usually go for what coach they think is best and despite long odds they dream of the NBA and like coaches that get players there.
this is naive and ignorant.. 2019 recruits grew up on the Internet and know how to use it... I've never been one of the guys who thinks posts on a message board can spill out into the real world. (I've been part of a San Francisco 49ers message board for over 15 years, and remember posters complaining that negative thoughts might offend some professional athlete... thought the whole thing was paranoia)...

but now I am having second thoughts on here.. the vitriol and troll-like posting on here is getting out of hand.. I can totally see a recruit being turned off by this..

for the record, I look at most of our competitors' message boards and none are this toxic.. the only equivalent is probably Iowa, and to be honest you can kind of understand why they are tired of Fran.. Even Indiana, once a blue blood, is more civil and understanding of the state of their program than the posters on here.

Hmmm. Dutcher resigned half way through his 11th season, U asked for Haskin's to resign after his 13th season and the scandal, Monson resigned at the beginning of his eighth season, Smith was fired after losing the round of 32 game at the end of his sixth season.

Hmmm. Dutcher resigned half way through his 11th season, U asked for Haskin's to resign after his 13th season and the scandal, Monson resigned at the beginning of his eighth season, Smith was fired after losing the round of 32 game at the end of his sixth season.
Look beyond BB...

And I would guess the dutcher and haskins were "resign or be fired" situations

Last edited:

He needs to make the NCAA tournament next year to keep his job. And if he does it in a similar way to this year then his seat will still be a little warm going into the next season.

Miss the tournament and win fewer than 9 B1G games next year -- he needs to be gone period.

Finish top 4 in the conference and advance to the Sweet Sixteen next year -- a long-term extension with a fairly significant salary increase.

He needs to make the NCAA tournament next year to keep his job. And if he does it in a similar way to this year then his seat will still be a little warm going into the next season.

Miss the tournament and win fewer than 9 B1G games next year -- he needs to be gone period.

Finish top 4 in the conference and advance to the Sweet Sixteen next year -- a long-term extension with a fairly significant salary increase.
make the tournament in 3 out of 4 years and Pitino will still be on the hot seat! you seem sensible :clap:

make the tournament in 3 out of 4 years and Pitino will still be on the hot seat! you seem sensible :clap:

I said his seat would be a little warm, not full on hot seat. You think it is sensible that he gets a nice extension and job security for 3+ years with one winning conference record after 7 years? We're not Duke, but we also aren't Rutgers.

this is naive and ignorant.. 2019 recruits grew up on the Internet and know how to use it... I've never been one of the guys who thinks posts on a message board can spill out into the real world. (I've been part of a San Francisco 49ers message board for over 15 years, and remember posters complaining that negative thoughts might offend some professional athlete... thought the whole thing was paranoia)...

but now I am having second thoughts on here.. the vitriol and troll-like posting on here is getting out of hand.. I can totally see a recruit being turned off by this..

for the record, I look at most of our competitors' message boards and none are this toxic.. the only equivalent is probably Iowa, and to be honest you can kind of understand why they are tired of Fran.. Even Indiana, once a blue blood, is more civil and understanding of the state of their program than the posters on here.

What recruits would ever read this site ! They do not need a fan message board to see or understand a coaches standing against other coaches. Pick the best coach, pick playing time, pick on development, pick on success.

What recruits would ever read this site ! They do not need a fan message board to see or understand a coaches standing against other coaches. Pick the best coach, pick playing time, pick on development, pick on success.

they read this site because they want to see if they are on the fanbase's radar. they want to see if there is a topic started about them. They want to see if the fans are excited that they are coming. All it takes is a little bit of curiosity to google and find Gopherhole. Then all it takes is mindlessly clicking on a Pitino rumor mill thread to open up that rabbit hole leading to Pandora's box.

thankfully, message boards were more popular during the early aughts then they are in the 2010s (social media and reddit has kind of overtaken the team-specific forum), but kids these days know how to use the internet to find a place like Gopherhole. Not to mention that Gopherhole itself has a prominent Twitter presence that recruits see. You think recruits haven't clicked on the link in Gopherhole's Twitter profile to see what this place is all about?

Last edited:

they read this site because they want to see if they are on the fanbase's radar. they want to see if there is a topic started about them. They want to see if the fans are excited that they are coming. All it takes is a little bit of curiosity to google and find Gopherhole. Then all it takes is mindlessly clicking on a Pitino rumor mill thread to open up that rabbit hole leading to Pandora's box.

thankfully, message boards were more popular during the early oughts then they are in the 2010s (social media and reddit has kind of overtaken the team-specific forum), but kids these days know how to use the internet to find a place like Gopherhole. Not to mention that Gopherhole itself has a prominent Twitter presence that recruits see. You don't think recruits haven't clicked on the link in Gopherhole's Twitter profile to see what this place is all about?
Obviously they are smart enough to use the internet, they learned that by 8 years old. They have why too much going on to think they would waste time on a fan board. Coaches and players could care less about what is on this site. These kids have way more access, direct and constant access to the coaches, they are listening to music, dating, practicing and talking to each other. They all know who the best coaches are and most never get offers from those guys. This board is no worse than any other. Indiana is not bitching now because they think they have a great coach. You should have checked that board during Crean. After one loss at places like UW or UVA even with tons of success you will get posters calling for a coaching change, complain about recruiting !

Obviously they are smart enough to use the internet, they learned that by 8 years old. They have why too much going on to think they would waste time on a fan board. Coaches and players could care less about what is on this site. These kids have way more access, direct and constant access to the coaches, they are listening to music, dating, practicing and talking to each other. They all know who the best coaches are and most never get offers from those guys. This board is no worse than any other. Indiana is not bitching now because they think they have a great coach. You should have checked that board during Crean. After one loss at places like UW or UVA even with tons of success you will get posters calling for a coaching change, complain about recruiting !
You raise fair points. As far as other teams in the BiG10, I've seen zero discontent from any of the programs that made the tournament (besides a little grumbling in Iowa, but even then I think they realize Fran's son is a Top 75 recruit and they know holding out for next year would be wise). Other than that, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn St., none of these fanbases are calling for a new coach. Now, obviously we have higher standards than those schools at the moment--in basketball anyways. But I've also heard you say that Pitino is like the 10th best coach in the conference (I may be wrong about that so feel free to correct me)... Kind of weird that out of all the schools in the conference, Minnesota is the one with all the rumors... You can say that it is all performance related, but Pitino has done a better job than a lot of coaches in this league in his tenure. Yet here we are.

Look beyond BB...

And I would guess the dutcher and haskins were "resign or be fired" situations

OK, what sport? Men's hockey, women's hockey, baseball, softball, volleyball...which ones? Football is pretty much it and that's the nature of the HC position at most P5 programs. Since 2017 season, there have been 30+ HC hired at P5 programs. A vast majority were either fired or fall in your "resign or be fired" category.

You raise fair points. As far as other teams in the BiG10, I've seen zero discontent from any of the programs that made the tournament (besides a little grumbling in Iowa, but even then I think they realize Fran's son is a Top 75 recruit and they know holding out for next year would be wise). Other than that, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn St., none of these fanbases are calling for a new coach. Now, obviously we have higher standards than those schools at the moment--in basketball anyways. But I've also heard you say that Pitino is like the 10th best coach in the conference (I may be wrong about that so feel free to correct me)... Kind of weird that out of all the schools in the conference, Minnesota is the one with all the rumors... You can say that it is all performance related, but Pitino has done a better job than a lot of coaches in this league in his tenure. Yet here we are.

In my opinion i have him between 8th and 10th.

#firegard was alive and well on Twitter after their first round exit.

odd a special team got bounced in first round (just busting your chops a little)

#firegard was alive and well on Twitter after their first round exit.

odd a special team got bounced in first round (just busting your chops a little)

No problem. They got smoked fair and square.Thought the guard play down the last quarter of the year really held them back on what i thought they would be. 14-6 was not too bad.

In my opinion i have him between 8th and 10th.

Just curious, who are the 4 you would have him ahead of for sure?

The only one I see for sure is Chambers. Probably Pikiell too, but Rutgers is a really difficult job so it's harder to compare. Maybe Collins, but again, NW is probably the toughest job in the B1G.

No problem. They got smoked fair and square.Thought the guard play down the last quarter of the year really held them back on what i thought they would be. 14-6 was not too bad.

14-6 is going to be a dream in years to come for the Badgers. Trend line is about to head down.

Top Bottom