What does Pitino have to do in 2019-20 to keep his job?

gopherall

Reaction score
Clearly Pitino's job status is debatable. Some would have liked to see him fired after the round of 32 loss, others give him one more year to see what if he can prove he belongs.

You are Coyle and you give Richard an ultimatum, what things have to happen over the next 365 days for Richard still be employed?

Complete at least two of the following:

-Make the NCAA tournament in 2020.

-Land at least two 2019 recruits who contribute substantively in 2019-2020 (i.e. something better than Stull/Stockman part II)

-Land at least two solid 2020 recruits this fall (assuming at least two open scholarships.)

Complete at least two of the following:

-Make the NCAA tournament in 2020.

-Land at least two 2019 recruits who contribute substantively in 2019-2020 (i.e. something better than Stull/Stockman part II)

-Land at least two solid 2020 recruits this fall (assuming at least two open scholarships.)

I agree with the intent, but #2 and 3 are pretty subjective.

Two is not. We will have the results. Three is, yes. But we'll all know it when we see it. If he lands another Coffey or Oturu/Kaelscher class, he's done it. If both scholarships are open or are filled by guys not in anyone's top 150, he hasn't.

I don't know the answer is to this question, but at some point we need to get past the "hot seat" conversation every year. If this, then that. Otherwise, no. etc. etc. Really bad look for recruiting if every year we are having this conversation. I think they should either extend him and throw their support behind him or move on.

I also find it annoying we have these "rumors" after every year where we have even modest success.

Not really, our esteemed Athletic Director has already publicly proclaimed that internet recruiting rankings are vital to whom he fires

Get more than one recruit would be one checkmark in his favor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino is not on the hot seat.
If he was going to be on the hotseat next year they’d have gotten rid of him this year. They will know nothing more about him next year they don’t already know.
Outside of an historically bad season like 3-17 or worse in conference, he isn’t coaching for his job until 2020-21

If he misses the tourney next year, I'd be ok with getting rid of him. 2 in 7 years would be an awful 7 year record.

Even if his misses the tournament next year he isn't going to be fired, he's here for at least two more years.

Even if his misses the tournament next year he isn't going to be fired, he's here for at least two more years.

No chance if they go 7-13 or worse in B10 next season with no addl quality recruits signed.

I’m disappointed we have the thread. Celebrate the season!
This is two out of three years we have been in the NCAA tournament.
It is obvious to anyone it would be 3 of 3 if not for circumstances beyond the coaching staff’s control.
Giving ultimatums or issuing threats is absolutely not how you support your people and help them succeed.
We add some recruits and we will once again be competitive. I choose to see progress!

Man...do we have to go through this debate EVERY year??? [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Man...do we have to go through this debate EVERY year??? [emoji849]

We wouldn't if his record were substantially better. When you putz along with a bad cumulative record, you invite the question of "how bad is too bad?" If, after 6 years, he had been in 4 tournaments with a Sweet 16 run to his name and a winning B1G record, we wouldn't be having this debate.

It's become an annual "wash, rinse, repeat" event. It gets tiresome. Sorry...that's my perspective.

Give a Fckg break! Go find another team to complain about!

Pitino is our coach and he isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly Pitino's job status is debatable. Some would have liked to see him fired after the round of 32 loss, others give him one more year to see what if he can prove he belongs.

You are Coyle and you give Richard an ultimatum, what things have to happen over the next 365 days for Richard still be employed?

For me there isn't any one thing or thing(s) that have to happen to continue the Richard Pitino experience its much more of a big picture "where is the program headed?"

Two different seasons:

Season A: Gophers have a season much like 2018 lead by an All B1G Amir Coffey and an improving Daniel Oturu. The team finished somewhere between 9-11 and 11-9 with some frustrating losses but manages to advance to the round of 32 for the second straight year. Pitino misses out on Suggs and loses Garcia and Danja to non Blue Bloods and has a class of kids committed that's currently 10th or worse in the conference.

Season B: Gophers finish around 8-12/7-13 in conference and were never in the big dance mix, but finish the season strong (somewhere in the Illinois to Penn State range this year) on the heels of strong play from Daniel, Gabe, and at least one or two more players with eligibility remaining for 2020. In this scenario Coffey is either not on the roster, simply doesn't have a huge Senior season, etc. Pitino has landed some combination of Suggs/Garcia/Danja/out of state kids that results in a top 5 class in the conference.

I'd be much more inclined to stick with Pitino after season B than season A. With season B, you can point to the future and see the real possibility of upward movement behind the young players and a renewed confidence in Pitino's ability to recruit. With season A, yes you made the tournament but where are you going in 2020? Where are your players coming from? What is the plan moving forward? It would be two bad recruiting years in a row and now there's no Amir Coffey to (hypothetically) carry you.

We're in bad situation right now in that Pitino did well enough on the court to keep his job this year (though the overall 6 years...), but not well enough to get himself off the hot seat and as long as he's on the hot seat, recruiting will be more of a challenge. I personally hope he knocks it out of the park on the recruiting trail first in the next month or so (impact guys for 2019) and continuing until November (some key 2020 commits between this Summer and signing day). If that happens, we will be making a dent in that 30 games under .500 conference record and a real extension and some security can be expected by this time next year.

Honestly, if we have a thread like this on the Gopher basketball fan forum, what does it say for the enthusiasm of the program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the answer is to this question, but at some point we need to get past the "hot seat" conversation every year. If this, then that. Otherwise, no. etc. etc. Really bad look for recruiting if every year we are having this conversation. I think they should either extend him and throw their support behind him or move on.

I also find it annoying we have these "rumors" after every year where we have even modest success.
Amen, no wonder the best of the best would rather go elsewhere. Please tell me recruits don’t read the ramblings of leptons on this site so annoying. When you guys leave here, do you go back to the Russian troll farm?

Please tell me recruits don’t read the ramblings of leptons on this site so annoying. When you guys leave here, do you go back to the Russian troll farm?

Do you think that there is anything said here that isn't said on other fan sites devoted to up-and-down teams? Maybe the Duke, KY, and Michigan State boards reflect less frustration and/or anxiety but there would be an easily explainable reason for that.

For me there isn't any one thing or thing(s) that have to happen to continue the Richard Pitino experience its much more of a big picture "where is the program headed?"

Two different seasons:

Season A: Gophers have a season much like 2018 lead by an All B1G Amir Coffey and an improving Daniel Oturu. The team finished somewhere between 9-11 and 11-9 with some frustrating losses but manages to advance to the round of 32 for the second straight year. Pitino misses out on Suggs and loses Garcia and Danja to non Blue Bloods and has a class of kids committed that's currently 10th or worse in the conference.

Season B: Gophers finish around 8-12/7-13 in conference and were never in the big dance mix, but finish the season strong (somewhere in the Illinois to Penn State range this year) on the heels of strong play from Daniel, Gabe, and at least one or two more players with eligibility remaining for 2020. In this scenario Coffey is either not on the roster, simply doesn't have a huge Senior season, etc. Pitino has landed some combination of Suggs/Garcia/Danja/out of state kids that results in a top 5 class in the conference.

I'd be much more inclined to stick with Pitino after season B than season A. With season B, you can point to the future and see the real possibility of upward movement behind the young players and a renewed confidence in Pitino's ability to recruit. With season A, yes you made the tournament but where are you going in 2020? Where are your players coming from? What is the plan moving forward? It would be two bad recruiting years in a row and now there's no Amir Coffey to (hypothetically) carry you.

We're in bad situation right now in that Pitino did well enough on the court to keep his job this year (though the overall 6 years...), but not well enough to get himself off the hot seat and as long as he's on the hot seat, recruiting will be more of a challenge. I personally hope he knocks it out of the park on the recruiting trail first in the next month or so (impact guys for 2019) and continuing until November (some key 2020 commits between this Summer and signing day). If that happens, we will be making a dent in that 30 games under .500 conference record and a real extension and some security can be expected by this time next year.

This is a smart take. ^

Pitino is our coach and he isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't you also say that about Washington?

There could be some truth to these rumors about Pitino and we'll know soon enough. Here's the thing a lot of people don't understand about making predictions: it's asymmetrical. You don't look nearly as good when you are right as you look bad when you are wrong.

Amen, no wonder the best of the best would rather go elsewhere. Please tell me recruits don’t read the ramblings of leptons on this site so annoying. When you guys leave here, do you go back to the Russian troll farm?

I can tell you you that these young athletes are pretty sharp about programs and coaches. They talk among their pairs and know who the best coaches are. They often are waiting to hear from the coach they really want but often never hear from. Recently was called by the family of a top 100 kid for some advice. In mostly listening to the young man he rattled off the records and accomplishments of the coaches in stunning accuracy . They do not need a message board to help them decide who is the best . The advice is to prioritize what matters. Who did you connect with, how important is immediate playing time, what do you want to study, how much does winning big matter. What about location, does staying home matter. If location is not first they usually go for what coach they think is best and despite long odds they dream of the NBA and like coaches that get players there.

I can tell you you that these young athletes are pretty sharp about programs and coaches. They talk among their pairs and know who the best coaches are. They often are waiting to hear from the coach they really want but often never hear from. Recently was called by the family of a top 100 kid for some advice. In mostly listening to the young man he rattled off the records and accomplishments of the coaches in stunning accuracy . They do not need a message board to help them decide who is the best . The advice is to prioritize what matters. Who did you connect with, how important is immediate playing time, what do you want to study, how much does winning big matter. What about location, does staying home matter. If location is not first they usually go for what coach they think is best and despite long odds they dream of the NBA and like coaches that get players there.

Recently I watched three blue chip recruits being interviewed together. One was going to Duke, another UNC, and the third to KY. They were asked to make a sales pitch to a recruit about their new programs. What struck me was 1) how much they knew about their new program's history as well as current activities and 2) how they talked like they were already on the team.

I dont know how many major conference programs have fan bases that wont question a coach with a sub .400 conference record through six years. For the negativity to stop, Pitino needs to put together some consistent success. Not one season with a losing conference record salvaged by a good but not great post season. Right now, he is in a spot where he has a bad 6 year record, but saved his job because he is coming off his best season. That leaves him one bad season away from being in a spot where he has a bad 7 year record and is coming off a bad season. His failures so far have left him likely unable to afford a rebuild year.

Recently I watched three blue chip recruits being interviewed together. One was going to Duke, another UNC, and the third to KY. They were asked to make a sales pitch to a recruit about their new programs. What struck me was 1) how much they knew about their new program's history as well as current activities and 2) how they talked like they were already on the team.

That is so common now. Crossing paths all through the summer, social media has them all sharing info and communicating. A coaches job is first evaluation as to what the player brings to what you do, does hit fit your culture, character and then a giant list of intangibles that a online service knows little to nothing. If you think he is far along, more so than the better programs do (they can afford to wait) or his ranking and exposure skyrocket, you offer early in the hopes they take the offer early. If they do not , you often lose them. As a back up you have a diverse list of ready guys, prospects with a big upside, guys who are really good but no one saw them because of injury and on and on. This staff knows what good players look like. Every program has recruits that do not work out but do not let any of them be on character issues.

The minimum for Gopher Basketball, men’s and women’s, should always be; a top half finish in the conference and at least one NCAA win. Lindsay is in her first year, she gets a pass. Richard achieved the minimum this year. Anything less than this years results and he should be out.

I think he needs to finish over .500 in the conference and beat either Auburn, Tennessee, or Kentucky for it to be considered a successful season.

I really don’t understand all of the people complaining about the thread. Pitino doesn’t have a good record, and our roster as it stands is atrocious. These threads will stop appearing if Pitino can create roster stability with depth. He’ll also get 7 years, so it’s not like we are trying to fire our way to success. This isn’t trolling, its being realistic.

In my opinion, as somebody else had already said, we will know if Pitino will be back based on how this spring and next fall recruiting cycles go. If he whiffs big time like he did this year, then Coyle will be in a good position to have his guy lined up. To be clear, I’d prefer for Pitino to succeed and strike gold, but there are unaddressed troubling signs that make threads like this totally legitimate.

Generate more $$$ for UMN than you spend.

Top Bottom