Spring Position Preview - DL

John Galt

Reaction score
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019...l-2019-spring-position-preview-defensive-line

I say, “SPRING,” you say, “POSITION PREVIEWS!”

I say, “SPRING,” you say, “POSITION PREVIEWS!”

That’s right. The hiatus is over. Football is back! Well, the spring version of football, at least. And in the weeks leading up to the Minnesota Golden Gophers’ spring game at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 13, at TCF Bank Stadium, we’ll be breaking down each position group.

Key Departure(s): O.J. Smith, Gary Moore, and Royal Silver
Key Returner(s): Carter Coughlin, Winston DeLattiboudere, Sam Renner, Jamaal Teague, Esezi Otomewo, Boye Mafe, Tai’yon Devers, Mayan Ahanotu, and Noah Hickcox
Early Enrollee(s): Rashad Cheney, Micah Dew-Treadway, Logan Richter, and Keonte Schad

First and foremost, I am interested to see whether All-Big Ten rush end Carter Coughlin spends most of his senior season on the defensive line or at linebacker, his original position. I suspect it’ll be a mix of both. But it would be in the Gophers’ best interest for another legitimate pass rusher to emerge, and redshirt sophomore Boye Mafe seems to be a good bet after tallying a career-high six tackles against Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. Perhaps senior Tai’yon Devers will finally realize the potential he flashed during his freshman season?

Redshirt senior defensive end Winston DeLattiboudere is a three-year starter, but his output could be best described as solid but not spectacular. I expect he’ll be pushed by redshirt sophomore Esezi Otomewo and redshirt freshman Mayan Ahanotu. And that may happen sooner rather than later, as DeLattiboudere appeared to suffer a knee injury at the second open practice of the spring and has been seen on crutches as recently as yesterday.

Defensive tackle is the position that will experience the most turnover, with Gary Moore graduating, O.J. Smith heading to the NFL, and Royal Silver retiring from football. There will be plenty of faces, both new and familiar, vying for a spot in the rotation.

This spring will present Gopher fans with their first glimpses of Notre Dame transfer Micah Dew-Treadway, JUCO defensive tackle Keonte Schad, and early enrollee true freshmen Rashad Cheney and Logan Richter. All four have figured into the six-man rotation at defensive tackle so far this spring, and I think all are capable of contributing in the fall.

Of the defensive tackles returning from last season, sophomore Jamaal Teague is best positioned to seize a starting spot after burning his redshirt to help fill in for Smith when he was out with a concussion. I would advise underestimating redshirt senior Sam Renner at your own peril. He largely flew under the radar last year, but was a key cog on the defensive line. Renner works hard and is a weight room warrior. It’s paid off in playing time. Redshirt sophomore Noah Hickcox rounds out the trio of returners have been getting the most snaps this spring.

I’ve not heard much at all about redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Malcolm Robinson or redshirt freshmen defensive ends Alex Reigelsperger and Abi Okonji. This spring should be an opportunity for them to make names for themselves.

Good stuff and thank you for putting this together. Will the transfer from Notre Dame be eligible this fall??

Lots of new names and faces and some exciting potential, especially at DT. Hopefully some guys emerge as legit Big Ten starters. Been a while since DL has been a strength but hopefully we are heading in that direction with this current group. A legit pass rush would be an awesome thing to see around here again.

I remember when Clayes said that the Defensive position is the hardest to recruit. Fleck seems to be doing a pretty good finding these guys. Meanwhile thanks for the report!

The talent on paper is off the charts - so many intriguing recruits - should be fun to watch these guys mature and the transfers/JUCO contribute immediately.

could be one of the oldest starting d-lines in the country with fourth year Coughlin, fifth year Renner,fifth year Dew-Treadway, and fifth year DeLattiboudere...add in fourth year Barber and fourth year Martin at linebacker and fifth year Williamson in nickel...fourth year players Kiondre, Durr and Winfield anchoring the secondary...juco Owens at other safety? fifth year punter Herbers should help the defense as well...

Will Daily Gopher get in hot water with the program for sharing such detail...?!?

could be one of the oldest starting d-lines in the country with fourth year Coughlin, fifth year Renner,fifth year Dew-Treadway, and fifth year DeLattiboudere...add in fourth year Barber and fourth year Martin at linebacker and fifth year Williamson in nickel...fourth year players Kiondre, Durr and Winfield anchoring the secondary...juco Owens at other safety? fifth year punter Herbers should help the defense as well...

Okay, have to admit - this cracked me up. Well played. :cool:

What’s your issue with swingman, or am I reading something not correctly??
There are some users that don't like it when swingman points out that we have talent, depth, or experience at certain positions. I think they are afraid it will set expectations too high.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yeah but...how many of those guys will get combine invites/minicamp invites/UDFA/drafted?

/s

"I’ve not heard much at all about redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Malcolm Robinson or redshirt freshmen defensive ends Alex Reigelsperger and Abi"

Surprised about both Robinson and Reigelsperger as they were both highly rated recruits who I thought had lots of P5 offers. Didn't we beat out the Hawks for ReigelspergEr?

"I’ve not heard much at all about redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Malcolm Robinson or redshirt freshmen defensive ends Alex Reigelsperger and Abi"

Surprised about both Robinson and Reigelsperger as they were both highly rated recruits who I thought had lots of P5 offers. Didn't we beat out the Hawks for ReigelspergEr?

Reigelsperger and Okonji both redshirted last year. And Reigelsperger was recovering from shoulder surgery iirc. It's not that surprising that we haven't heard much from them yet.

Robinson appears to be struggling to get playing time.

Reigelsperger and Okonji both redshirted last year. And Reigelsperger was recovering from shoulder surgery iirc. It's not that surprising that we haven't heard much from them yet.

Robinson appears to be struggling to get playing time.

Ah ha, didn’t know about the surgery or Robinson injury. Thanks for the intel.

Top Bottom