4/2 Spring Practice Notebook: Fleck talks recruiting and early roster impressions

DanielHouse

Reaction score
After attending my second open practice of the year, here's a few general things I found interesting. There are a few areas I'll be watching closely in the spring game. I can't wait to see several players in live action. This is just a preview! I expanded on several themes and topics in a podcast. Here's the episode:

<iframe src="https://www.podcastone.com/episodewidget?episodeID=5fcd15c1-0698-4a9d-ad6e-2134157084de&logo=true" width="100%" height="70" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

A few general takeaways:

- Kelvin Clemmons has all of the traits to develop into a talented defensive back. He was a really nice addition to the secondary.
- Justus Harris is someone that's caught my eye and I'm curious to see the improvements he makes this year.
- Jake Paulson has grown so much physically and can help both as a run blocker and red zone target. I'm expecting big things from him this year. The tight ends have made some nice progress this offseason.
- Boye Mafe has added more physicality to his frame to pair with the length and athleticism he already possesses. He was one of my breakout guys for this season and I'm standing behind that prediction.
- I'm intrigued by Mayan Ahanotu and wonder if he could be a rotational player across a variety of techniques on the defensive line. They'll continue to rotate young players inside to gain more experience. That's one of the key areas where they'll need to grow before the season.
- The quarterbacks look more comfortable this year from a scheme and progression standpoint. Players said the install process is way ahead of schedule, which allows them to focus on growing in ways they haven't been able to before.

I have also attached my first practice notebook that has additional takeaways: https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/1007542

Podcast coming soon!

VIDEO:

Last edited:

Great updates! Was a fun practice to watch today! Wish that there were more but totally get it why we can't have more to the public. Thankful for what we have.

Great updates! Was a fun practice to watch today! Wish that there were more but totally get it why we can't have more to the public. Thankful for what we have.

Sounds like you were there. Any opinions to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you were there. Any opinions to share?

I was there. Notice the wording on the bottom of the program as well as not to post on social sites etc. so am a little reluctant. Players clearly helping one another as to tips, players are rooting for each other when good things happen in a drill. Quarterbacks look good in my opinion meaning that 3 and 4 are improving and feeling more comfortable. Will be interesting to see how this plays out by fall.

Student managers are worn out as well by the end of the practice due to their running everywhere. Players treat them with respect as well. Am I safe posting this!???

I was there. Notice the wording on the bottom of the program as well as not to post on social sites etc. so am a little reluctant. Players clearly helping one another as to tips, players are rooting for each other when good things happen in a drill. Quarterbacks look good in my opinion meaning that 3 and 4 are improving and feeling more comfortable. Will be interesting to see how this plays out by fall.

Student managers are worn out as well by the end of the practice due to their running everywhere. Players treat them with respect as well. Am I safe posting this!???

You're a good man, and thanks for noticing the fine print. Its hard for the GH louts to understand.

You're a good man, and thanks for noticing the fine print. Its hard for the GH louts to understand.

You make a lot of ridiculous statements, but this one takes the cake. Have you never read a practice report from a media member or listened to one of Ryan Burns’ podcasts? You really think the Gophers run an open to public practice and expose things so critical it would create issues if mentioned? Seriously? Like if #2 said, “Howard was running with the #1s and looked great” that Wisconsin would take notice and start altering things? Do you wonder how they keep Michigan and Purdue spies from seeing all that inside info during open practices?
What a Delusional statement. Get a grip.

You make a lot of ridiculous statements, but this one takes the cake. Have you never read a practice report from a media member or listened to one of Ryan Burns’ podcasts? You really think the Gophers run an open to public practice and expose things so critical it would create issues if mentioned? Seriously? Like if #2 said, “Howard was running with the #1s and looked great” that Wisconsin would take notice and start altering things? Do you wonder how they keep Michigan and Purdue spies from seeing all that inside info during open practices?
What a Delusional statement. Get a grip.

Exactly. Plus not everyone picks up the roster sheet, so... Howard was playing with the ones. S Green still wearing the boot.

If there were anything of value to be gleaned from the open practices every opponent would send a representative to observe. They certainly aren’t monitoring Ghole for tips.

The Top Secret aspect of the open practices is honestly one of the dumbest things we continue to see across college football year after year, and that’s saying something. Many programs hold just about every practice open to the public. I tend to think there are other factors than worries about secrecy involved.

Well at any rate was attempting to respect what Fleck was asking of us. I also understand that Burns posts things that I didn't, that between him and Fleck. Highwayman was also respecting the system with his comments. No need to pounce on him.

If there were anything of value to be gleaned from the open practices every opponent would send a representative to observe. They certainly aren’t monitoring Ghole for tips.

The Top Secret aspect of the open practices is honestly one of the dumbest things we continue to see across college football year after year, and that’s saying something. Many programs hold just about every practice open to the public. I tend to think there are other factors than worries about secrecy involved.

I attend all of the open practices and obey the fine print. Honestly when I look around at the crowd I get the feeling that 80% are GH'ers.

I attend all of the open practices and obey the fine print. Honestly when I look around at the crowd I get the feeling that 80% are GH'ers.

Do you assign out our GH handles to the people you see?

Perhaps all the Gopher Holers should gather at the stadium during the spring game. Perhaps putting a face to someone would calm this board down a bit.

I am sure it's more of a PR and "control the narrative" concern than anything.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Perhaps all the Gopher Holers should gather at the stadium during the spring game. Perhaps putting a face to someone would calm this board down a bit.

Well then we could just use our legal names to post. That would have the same effect.

Part of what makes internet message boards what they are, is anonymity. People can say what they truly feel. It's the same reason we vote anonymously. Double-edge sword of course, for sure.

As has been pointed out numerous times, media members and paid sight bloggers are relaying any and all of this type of info, so the fine print does not hold much value or meaning.

Well then we could just use our legal names to post. That would have the same effect.

Part of what makes internet message boards what they are, is anonymity. People can say what they truly feel. It's the same reason we vote anonymously. Double-edge sword of course, for sure.

Perhaps, but I'll bet people would make up names as opposed using their real name. Kind of like going to the state fair to sign up for something and all you want is the freebe that they are giving away for signing up so you make up a name etc.

Perhaps, but I'll bet people would make up names as opposed using their real name. Kind of like going to the state fair to sign up for something and all you want is the freebe that they are giving away for signing up so you make up a name etc.

Well yes of course ... that's what it is now. People make up "names" (handles, whatever) to use for posting, rather than using their real names. No one wants to use their real names, well very few. Very little possible benefit can come from that ...

We could pinky swear...

I feel that might not turn out like you think...

Well at any rate was attempting to respect what Fleck was asking of us. I also understand that Burns posts things that I didn't, that between him and Fleck. Highwayman was also respecting the system with his comments. No need to pounce on him.

I attend all of the open practices and obey the fine print.

Like I said, “louts” don’t.

lout noun
Definition of lout
: an awkward brutish person

“The lout did not believe the rules applied to him.”

Last edited:

Gophers_4life is not your legal name?

I feel that might not turn out like you think...
I actually think people would get along pretty well in person.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Like I said, “louts” don’t.

lout noun
Definition of lout
: an awkward brutish person

“The lout did not believe the rules applied to him.”

Surprised you saw those posts with your extensive ignore list.

The idea that one can’t post their opinion on what they saw at an open practice is looney bird talk. I suspect the idea comes with some false feeling of importance in believing you saw something rare or special.

The amount of effort spent in this board complaining about topics that aren’t relevant enough to the current football team is extreme - then, people won’t discuss what they saw at an open practice either? Fine with me, I’ll go back to analyzing things PJ says. 2nd youngest team in America, huh?

Many thanks - there never seems to be a lot of Spring practice news. By contrast, the Omaha World-Herald has pages and pages of detailed info every day on Nebraska. By the way, Nebraska vs Minnesota could be a much bigger game than we expected.

Many thanks - there never seems to be a lot of Spring practice news. By contrast, the Omaha World-Herald has pages and pages of detailed info every day on Nebraska. By the way, Nebraska vs Minnesota could be a much bigger game than we expected.

OMG, how’d it make it past the censors. Frosty is in over his head.

You lie about that but think relaying your opinions on an open practice is somehow verboten/will land you in the PJ doghouse? That’s...interesting.

I’d like Sid, Mona, Pete, or one of the other media power brokers (Rochelle?) to question PJ on this policy. What exactly...are you hiding Mr. Fleck? Beating them with sticks?

Top Bottom