4/2 Spring Practice Notebook: Fleck talks recruiting and early roster impressions

This thread sucks...

Can someone post who was playing with the 1’s?

You lie about that but think relaying your opinions on an open practice is somehow verboten/will land you in the PJ doghouse? That’s...interesting.

I’d like Sid, Mona, Pete, or one of the other media power brokers (Rochelle?) to question PJ on this policy. What exactly...are you hiding Mr. Fleck? Beating them with sticks?

I never said I do. know people that do that. Can't believe people are getting weird on this thread over simple posts. Many angry people on this board.

Many thanks - there never seems to be a lot of Spring practice news. By contrast, the Omaha World-Herald has pages and pages of detailed info every day on Nebraska. By the way, Nebraska vs Minnesota could be a much bigger game than we expected.

Why do you talk so much about Nebraska on a Gophers-themed board?

"Nebraska defeats Gophers. Coach Frost says they learned about key Gopher plays from reading coverage of Gopher practice on message boards."

"Nebraska defeats Gophers. Coach Frost says they learned about key Gopher plays from reading coverage of Gopher practice on message boards."

SDSU upsets Gophers in the opener, Coach Stiegelmeier says they took a new approach to creating a game plan. They watched no video of prior Gopher games, instead they had members of their staff focus solely on Gopher message boards and media coverage to come up with a plan that shut down the Gopher offense and exposed the weaknesses in the Gopher D.

Perhaps all the Gopher Holers should gather at the stadium during the spring game. Perhaps putting a face to someone would calm this board down a bit.

Or make us want to punch each other even more!

I just love how folks are ripping on someone for obeying something literally printed on handouts at the practices. Guess we shouldn't follow the wishes of the team?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing that will be written on this board that will affect the outcome of any game next year. I don't get the cloak and dagger act. If you're going to do something you don't want other teams to know, don't do it at an open practice.

Additionally, it really doesn't make any sense if you're going to allow media to attend (I'm sure they aren't held to that standard - if so, why would they go?). Daniel - I'd be interested to hear your take on this last point - do you go to an open practice with credentials or just as a random dude?

In the end, Coach Fleck chooses to have open practices. There is no regulation requiring them. He can just as easily not have them next year if he feels like having people not report what they see is important and feels there is too much of it out there. Why poke the bear?

I just love how folks are ripping on someone for obeying something literally printed on handouts at the practices. Guess we shouldn't follow the wishes of the team?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing that will be written on this board that will affect the outcome of any game next year. I don't get the cloak and dagger act. If you're going to do something you don't want other teams to know, don't do it at an open practice.

Additionally, it really doesn't make any sense if you're going to allow media to attend (I'm sure they aren't held to that standard - if so, why would they go?). Daniel - I'd be interested to hear your take on this last point - do you go to an open practice with credentials or just as a random dude?

In the end, Coach Fleck chooses to have open practices. There is no regulation requiring them. He can just as easily not have them next year if he feels like having people not report what they see is important and feels there is too much of it out there. Why poke the bear?

I don't think it has much of anything to do with sharing plays, strategy, schemes, etc.

What I think it has much to do with the privacy of the players (especially medical). Whether it's followed or not, is for all of you to discuss. But as far as the university is concerned, it at least shows a mild attempt to keep personal issues from being shared. If they are shared, it puts more of the potential liability on the person who attended practice.

Given the enormous egos at play, and the penchant for cult(ure) leaders to have their followers dance to their odd tune... maybe it’s that simple. Or, maybe he’s trying to help out the subscription media guys. I’d lean toward the former

I don't think it has much of anything to do with sharing plays, strategy, schemes, etc.

What I think it has much to do with the privacy of the players (especially medical). Whether it's followed or not, is for all of you to discuss. But as far as the university is concerned, it at least shows a mild attempt to keep personal issues from being shared. If they are shared, it puts more of the potential liability on the person who attended practice.

How so, especially since you had to voluntarily grab a roster sheet?

I'm surprised that you of all people would state this. So you're basically attacking me for following the rules. Obviously other people were there as well and they didn't post anything at all. Why not bash those people for not posting? Perhaps I should have not posted as well which I won't in the future after viewing a practice as it isn't worth it when people are going to bash me for limiting my thoughts when they could have posted something.

People need to grow up. Perhaps too much to ask for base on some of the comments that have been said. I could have sworn on accidentally posted on the off topic board that is ruthless with childlike behavior.

How so, especially since you had to voluntarily grab a roster sheet?

It's like a disclosure or disclaimer with a product or service. When's the last time you read one of those? It doesn't matter if you took the time to do it. The important thing is you had the opportunity to read it. And if you don't read the disclosure, you're on your own. Same goes with a voluntary pick up of the sheet in question.

It's like a disclosure or disclaimer with a product or service. When's the last time you read one of those? It doesn't matter if you took the time to do it. The important thing is you had the opportunity to read it. And if you don't read the disclosure, you're on your own. Same goes with a voluntary pick up of the sheet in question.

i disagree, a disclosure of disclaimer requires that you acknowledge you "read" it before doing said thing it was related to. No one is prevented from watching practice if they didn't "read" the roster sheet.

I purchased nothing nor did I have to sign or acknowledge receipt of any such disclosure.

I agree that most of this site would get a long great.

I'd host a GH Tailgate for a game if people would show up. Or if someone has a spot I'd bring a cooler of good local beers for all to enjoy. Nothing like $300 of beer in a cooler. Would actually really enjoy talking with like-minded individuals in person. The Gophers are a passion of most of ours and obviously we found our way to this fine site to get information and conversation we couldn't get elsewhere.

My wife doesn't want to dissect recruiting for hours on end. My friends don't re-watch games to see certain plays again and again. Not everyone plans their fall around Gopher games. Gopher hole gives me that outlet and bringing it into real life wouldn't be awful and would most likely be fun

We could have name tags with our handles on them so we could at least punch the correct person in the face. Or hug the correct people. Maybe we all cash in our pizzas receipts and sit together.

(not trying to steal the thunder of GopherLady's awesome tailgates/Spring Game tailgate for charity. Go to those. I can't this year due to a work trip but would love to support her)

I'm surprised that you of all people would state this. So you're basically attacking me for following the rules. Obviously other people were there as well and they didn't post anything at all. Why not bash those people for not posting? Perhaps I should have not posted as well which I won't in the future after viewing a practice as it isn't worth it when people are going to bash me for limiting my thoughts when they could have posted something.

People need to grow up. Perhaps too much to ask for base on some of the comments that have been said. I could have sworn on accidentally posted on the off topic board that is ruthless with childlike behavior.

I am NOT attacking you. just making fun of the debate over this issue. Nothing posted on this board will ever impact the outcome of a game. If someone actually saw a "secret" play at practice and posted it, I suspect that play would never be run in a game. Of course, if a coach ran a "secret" play at a public practice, that is on the coach, not the fan.

IMHO, every person who attends practice can decide for themselves whether to share that information. but, as noted, when reporters and representatives of pay sites attend practice and post about it, I just don't see what difference it makes if Joe Fan shares some thoughts.

Ultimately, having a PUBLIC practice, and then telling people "don't talk about it" is, IMHO, pointless.

If I was connected with the U of M - and looked at last year's ticket sales and attendance figures, I would be begging people to talk about Gopher Football.

I am NOT attacking you. just making fun of the debate over this issue. Nothing posted on this board will ever impact the outcome of a game. If someone actually saw a "secret" play at practice and posted it, I suspect that play would never be run in a game. Of course, if a coach ran a "secret" play at a public practice, that is on the coach, not the fan.

IMHO, every person who attends practice can decide for themselves whether to share that information. but, as noted, when reporters and representatives of pay sites attend practice and post about it, I just don't see what difference it makes if Joe Fan shares some thoughts.

Ultimately, having a PUBLIC practice, and then telling people "don't talk about it" is, IMHO, pointless.

If I was connected with the U of M - and looked at last year's ticket sales and attendance figures, I would be begging people to talk about Gopher Football.

We're good.

I was there. Notice the wording on the bottom of the program as well as not to post on social sites etc. so am a little reluctant. Players clearly helping one another as to tips, players are rooting for each other when good things happen in a drill. Quarterbacks look good in my opinion meaning that 3 and 4 are improving and feeling more comfortable. Will be interesting to see how this plays out by fall.

Student managers are worn out as well by the end of the practice due to their running everywhere. Players treat them with respect as well. Am I safe posting this!???

Looks like NU agrees with you.
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/so-when-i-got-to-nus-practice-this-morning.44308/

Top Bottom