With Isaiah Washington set to transfer, what's next for the Gophers?

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Sophomore guard Isaiah Washington announced Monday on Twitter he intends to transfer from the University of Minnesota. Washington, a top recruit in the New York area, averaged just 4.3 points per game this season. The former four-star prospect, heralded as “Jelly,” won New York’s Mr. Basketball Award during his senior year of high school.

Despite the early hype, Washington never had a breakthrough moment at Minnesota. His minutes were dramatically cut during his second season with the Gophers. Minnesota was desperately yearning for a dominant point guard this season, but Washington didn’t earn playing time. The young point guard did not appear during a span of five games in late February and early March. It caused many to wonder whether he would transfer when the season concluded.

In a statement on Twitter, Washington made his decision public: “after talks with family, it’s best that I find a new home...I will not be returning to the University of Minnesota next season. I love you all, you will always have a place in my heart.”

Washington will now enter the transfer portal and choose his new school. When he does, he’ll sit out one season and finish out his remaining two years of eligibility.

After being unable to fill the major major hole left by guard Nate Mason, Washington appeared like he may not be part of the team’s future plans. Amir Coffey was tasked with playing point guard and moved away from his natural position this year. There were moments where Washington showed flashes, including two double-digit assist performances in nonconference play. However, he simply couldn’t take sound shots or facilitate the offense consistently.

With Washington’s departure, the Gophers now have another open spot to fill this offseason. The team anticipated Pittsburgh transfer Marcus Carr would be eligible for the past season, but he wasn’t granted a waiver. Carr put together a promising freshman campaign for Pittsburgh, leading the team in assists and steals. He also was the Panthers’ third leading scorer, averaging ten points per game. He is expected to start at point guard next season, allowing Amir Coffey to transition to the wing spot. Coffey can still occasionally handle the main duties, but Carr provides more flexibility for the Gophers to maximize their offensive potential. All season, Minnesota needed a guard to create dribble penetration and stress a defense. Carr can help on both ends of the court and fills a major need.

Outside of Carr, standout guard Tre Williams is set to join the Gophers next season. A star player in Utah, Williams is a four-star recruit that will bring much-needed depth and talent to the backcourt. The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 16.6 points and 4.4 assists per game during his senior season at Wataush Academy.

The Gophers have also continued to target combo guard Grant Sherfield, a former UCLA commit. He took a visit to Minnesota during the Purdue win in early March and spent time at Wake Forest on March 8. This year, he averaged 15.7 points per game on the prep circuit for Sunrise Christian. Minnesota needs to add more ball handlers and shooters to the roster and Sherfield would certainly fit that mold.

Not only that, but they’ll need to continue searching for big-men. Texas center Sam Freeman is set to make his college choice on Thursday and will choose between Minnesota and Virginia Tech. The 6-foot-10, 220-pound big-man would bring much-needed rim protection and post scoring to the Gophers. Outside of that, perhaps Minnesota will search for a transfer post player to bring experience to the roster.

Even with Washington set to transfer, the Gophers have a legitimate starting option with Marcus Carr becoming eligible in 2019. The next step will be continuing to add depth at the guard spots through this recruiting cycle. There's no doubt Minnesota’s roster will look different next season, especially with several additions they have yet to make.

Last edited:

Even if Carr is great, we need another PG IMO

I still don't get how Carr didn't get eligible this year

I have got a feeling - call it a hunch - but I expect at least one of the open scholarships to go to a transfer who will have to sit out a year.

Shoot - if you're only going to go 7 or 8 deep, I guess you can tie up a scholarship for a year. I would just prefer to see scholarships go to players who are at least technically able to contribute to the team's success.

I have got a feeling - call it a hunch - but I expect at least one of the open scholarships to go to a transfer who will have to sit out a year.

Shoot - if you're only going to go 7 or 8 deep, I guess you can tie up a scholarship for a year. I would just prefer to see scholarships go to players who are at least technically able to contribute to the team's success.

History is the best predictor.

It was basically a consensus that Pitino has to make the tourney to keep his job. So he did what he had to this year to accomplish that end. He did what it took to win games in Feb and March. I’m guessing he’d love to go 10 deep off the bench. He did what was expected from him and the team and yet we bash him on what means he used to get there. Par...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet you’re right. I just hope he doesn’t blow two scholarships.

The sit out transfers are driving me crazy. Carr and Willis may change my mind, but we have been caught shorthanded so often and not gotten a lot of production out of sit out transfers that I will be skeptical until proven otherwise. At least Carr and Willis aren't coming off of injuries.

The sit out transfers are driving me crazy. Carr and Willis may change my mind, but we have been caught shorthanded so often and not gotten a lot of production out of sit out transfers that I will be skeptical until proven otherwise. At least Carr and Willis aren't coming off of injuries.

I think you can afford to have a scholarship or 2 sit out, but when you have scholarships for

2-Transfers-(Carr/Willis)
1-Injured player working his back and later injured again (Curry)
1-Player in dog house and limited (Washington)
3-Players with limited impact (Hurt, Matz, Stull)

that is a problem. You can survive 2 or 3 of those issues above, not 7

Matz was very impactful and should have been playing more when Curry was hobbled.

To me Carr is a much higher rated player than Willis. I expect Carr to start and be a very good starter.
Willis is a rotation bench player.

We do need some depth for sure.

Matz was very impactful and should have been playing more when Curry was hobbled.

To me Carr is a much higher rated player than Willis. I expect Carr to start and be a very good starter.
Willis is a rotation bench player.

We do need some depth for sure.

Definitely one more guard that is eligible and front court issues, having four open spots not good but if it is two in a couple of weeks then no big deal.

Thanks, Daniel, for the excellent piece!

With at least four available scholarships, I expect that you are right. Pitino got away with two sit-outs this year and probably feels he has a little breathing room.

I think we're set for the next two seasons at point guard. Carr and Willis will run the show. I also expect Sherfield to get some run at the point if neccessary. In my mind, we need a juco or grad transfer at the PF spot since Curry may never recover. Lets assume we get Freeman and Sherfield, for fun.

PG - Carr /Willis
SG - Gabe K./Sherfield
SF - Coffey/Tre Williams
PF - Curry/Omersa
C - Oturu/Freeman

Not a bad roster. We need a starting PF though.

I think you can afford to have a scholarship or 2 sit out, but when you have scholarships for

2-Transfers-(Carr/Willis)
1-Injured player working his back and later injured again (Curry)
1-Player in dog house and limited (Washington)
3-Players with limited impact (Hurt, Matz, Stull)

that is a problem. You can survive 2 or 3 of those issues above, not 7

But Pitino survived those issues this year and ended up having his second best season. He's going to get an extension. I suspect he doesn't feel that his back is to the wall this upcoming season and probably will have 1 or 2 sit-outs again. As far as players in the dog house, well most years he has had at least one so I wouldn't be surprised if another dog house player emerged.

I think we're set for the next two seasons at point guard. Carr and Willis will run the show.

How can you say that? We haven't seen either of those guys play. People claimed we were set with Washington. And there are always injuries and other causes of attrition.

How can you say that? We haven't seen either of those guys play. People claimed we were set with Washington. And there are always injuries and other causes of attrition.

Its mostly based off of Carr getting the majority of those minutes, who in the scrimmage looked to be the best player out there.

I think we're set for the next two seasons at point guard. Carr and Willis will run the show. I also expect Sherfield to get some run at the point if neccessary. In my mind, we need a juco or grad transfer at the PF spot since Curry may never recover. Lets assume we get Freeman and Sherfield, for fun.

PG - Carr /Willis
SG - Gabe K./Sherfield
SF - Coffey/Tre Williams
PF - Curry/Omersa
C - Oturu/Freeman

Not a bad roster. We need a starting PF though.

Add Matthew Hurt, contend for B1G title. Simple, right?

Carr already played 30 minutes a game for a Power 5 team as a freshman. Are people forgetting that?

Would love to see us pick up a couple juco players who could be contributors immediately, a shooter and a rebounding big man. I'd think there should be a few prospects who would jump at the chance to play in the B1G. Not the optimum solution, but immediate needs would warrant if we can find the right fit.

Also - I see Omersa as more of an energy guy off the bench. I'm not sure he's a starter, unless he finds a way to really expand his offensive game. Might be better off to just tell him to go in for 5 minutes at a time and play as hard as he can, mainly as a defensive player and rebounder. Any points he gets will be a bonus.

So, yeah - if Curry is limited, they need a PF type who can start or at least play major minutes. Ideally someone with a little size - a legit 6'7" or 6'8" (as opposed to the phony program height).

I'd rather have a sit out transfer who we are fairly certain will contribute significantly for 2-3 years than a high school recruit who will transfer, be hurt constantly, or not play much.

I'd rather have a sit out transfer than IW, Jamir Harris, Eric Curry, Michael Hurt, Kevin Dorsey, Ahmad Gilbert, Carlos Morris, Josh Martin, Bakary Konate, or Gaston Diedhiou, assuming it is someone who is expected to start and not just depth like Matz. That's 10/15 of our high school recruits between 2014 and 2017.

Different situation if we're turning down solid high school recruits who don't have injury problems, fit in our style of play, and really want to be here or if we're taking someone who won't start or who has injury problems. But if it's a sit out transfer who will contribute when he can play or a recruit who won't play much and has a decent chance of transferring away, the transfer seems like the much better option.

May have another scholarship available if Michael Hurt decides to grad transfer elsewhere. If not, we've got to find a way to get some productive minutes and points out of him and not just someone who moves the ball from side to side.

Wasn’t Lynch a sit out transfer? Matz wasn’t too bad when we needed him.

Wasn’t Lynch a sit out transfer? Matz wasn’t too bad when we needed him.

Lynch was a sit out transfer. He was very high impact.

You could argue that Zach Lofton would have contributed but he got himself kicked off the team. Averaged 20 PPG, 2.5 3PG for NMSU.

Davonte Fitzgerald, from the sounds of it, would have been a solid contributor but he tore his ACL for a second time and was never the same.

What’s next should be pursuing the better Jellyfam member who’s transferring from Villanova

What’s next should be pursuing the better Jellyfam member who’s transferring from Villanova

Jay Wright had basically exactly the same issues with him as RP had with IW....

Top Bottom