Jelly Transferring

The part that is on Pitino is different standards for different players. If Jelly did make his first shot or didn’t have a great pass in the first minute of play he was yanked. I would watch coffey fall down turnovers one 3 straight possessions nothing. Mcbrayer go 0 for the world many many games still in there. His D was as good as coffey or Mcbrayer. On a team that had absolutely no one to create for this team with the only player in the program that can get u easy buckets u play him. Would have had 3-4 more wins with him playing 20 minutes a game.

You seriously can't think IWs D is even close to Coffey or Prees? Those two are average, IW was horrid at D and it's why he was held to a different standard if he wasn't making shots.

There aren't a ton of guys who in the NBA who are under 6'1", can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, lack a mid range game and make bad decisions with the basketball.

I hope he finds success and gets his degree.

But man oh man can he put jelly on a finger roll!

Best of luck to him.

Best luck to him in his future endeavors, classy act despite getting his time cut short, just wasn't a good fit with our team.

The part that is on Pitino is different standards for different players. If Jelly did make his first shot or didn’t have a great pass in the first minute of play he was yanked. I would watch coffey fall down turnovers one 3 straight possessions nothing. Mcbrayer go 0 for the world many many games still in there. His D was as good as coffey or Mcbrayer. On a team that had absolutely no one to create for this team with the only player in the program that can get u easy buckets u play him. Would have had 3-4 more wins with him playing 20 minutes a game.

This part in bold could not be more wrong. He could use a year of development because he’s not a player you can count on.

His offensive rating is well below 100 and defensive rating at almost 110. 2nd worst scholarship player in terms of plus minus.

Hopefully he can go to a school where he can thrive athletically and mentally.

2017 recruiting class went to hell. Harris and Washington gone. Not a good look on Pitino’s part. Best of luck to IW.

He had the opportunity to watch 2 of the best PG's in Carsen Edwards and Cassius Winston. I thought he had more potential and that increased playing time would have helped develop him. Best of luck to him.

I'm not the first to say this but the 2019 and 2020 classes will tell the tale. If the 2017 class gets replicated Pitino can't survive. If he pulls in a couple good transfers or solid bench guys and hits some homers in 2020, then he's in business.

For the last damn time, can we not call him Jelly?

Can't remember people calling guys by a move. No one said "Wow, did you see the game Dream Shake had last night?" It isn't tough to call him by his proper name, or use IW...its easy.

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

I wish him well, hopefully he can find a better fit elsewhere.

2018 class was Elite though two four year starters if they don't go pro before then

2 four year and 1 three year starter. But yeah, 2018 was much better. Can’t go whole classes without anything though. That’s on Richard.

I wanted IW to succeed here as much as anyone, but if he makes the NBA, I will name my first child "Gopherhoopsguy"

Not really a need for 5'11 point guards in the NBA who struggle with an outside shot

And get their shots on drives put into the second deck.

Probably the last guy on this board who should be wagging his finger on this issue is gopherbbdude.
Not wagging fingers at all..

Assumptions are what they are....guesses

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the assessing blame category, it appears a lot of people are putting most if not all of the blame on Washington.

But - in all fairness - Pitino (and his staff) recruited the kid. they watched him play in HS and AAU. They presumably knew what they were getting. As a coach, the challenge is to get the most out of each player. Pitino and his staff did not get the most out of Washington. YES, a lot of that is on Washington. But some of it has to be on the coaches. Whether it was physical or mental, they never figured out the right buttons to push to get what they needed out of Washington.

I maintain Washington was a bad fit for the Gopher system. He has some physical ability. In the right system, I believe he can be an effective player. if you try to shove a round peg in a square hole, you can blame the peg for not fitting - but the person doing the shoving should have been able to tell that it was a bad fit.

For the last damn time, can we not call him Jelly?

Can't remember people calling guys by a move. No one said "Wow, did you see the game Dream Shake had last night?" It isn't tough to call him by his proper name, or use IW...its easy.

Jelly, Jelly, Jelly, Jelly, J e l l y.

IW has great handles, great passing, and good court vision, but too much unnecessary hero ball, poor decision making, and lackadaisical defense determined his fate with the gophers. As far as I see it, it's a non-issue. We achieved the success of this season with limited contribution from IW. At worst, it leaves us limited at PG if his spot can't get filled, but the plus side is that we showed that a whole season can be played without a PG...

I for one will not miss seeing him get rejected at the rim and under the basket in Big Ten play.

In the assessing blame category, it appears a lot of people are putting most if not all of the blame on Washington.

But - in all fairness - Pitino (and his staff) recruited the kid. they watched him play in HS and AAU. They presumably knew what they were getting. As a coach, the challenge is to get the most out of each player. Pitino and his staff did not get the most out of Washington. YES, a lot of that is on Washington. But some of it has to be on the coaches. Whether it was physical or mental, they never figured out the right buttons to push to get what they needed out of Washington.

I maintain Washington was a bad fit for the Gopher system. He has some physical ability. In the right system, I believe he can be an effective player. if you try to shove a round peg in a square hole, you can blame the peg for not fitting - but the person doing the shoving should have been able to tell that it was a bad fit.

Spot on.

His defense was as good as Coffey or Mcbrayer is quite possibly the dumbest statement ive seen on here, Jelly is one of the worst defenders i've seen play for the Gophers and i've had season tickets for 30 years.

Yep. He didn't work hard enough at the things that would have made him great. Best of luck to him elsewhere. I hope he figures it all out.

Good luck to IW. I enjoyed his smile, not so much his play. I place a lot of the blame on our staff for bringing him in. I'm not sure he had any other B10 offers - red flag #1, and unfortunately he proved them right. In my opinion he isn't a B10 point guard. He will probably shine at a smaller school closer to home. I wish him the best. He seemed like a pleasant guy.

Yep. He didn't work hard enough at the things that would have made him great. Best of luck to him elsewhere. I hope he figures it all out.

Agreed. He caught a lot of flack for the at wild play and turnovers, but I think Pitino's biggest problem with him was the defense. There were times he plain made no effort to stop a drive. But they don't make Youtube videos of solid positional defense.

Mr. Dimes will never play in the NBA... That's laughable man!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

On this note: I find it very ironic that one of the things that brought our season to a close was a concussion to another player who rarely saw the floor and wanted to go elsewhere.
Matz's lack of play was clearly all on Matz, yes?
And yet, when push came to shove we actually ended up needing him. But who could have ever ever ever seen that coming? (eyeroll)

The individual dissection of the player will always favor the coach. However: The failure of putting together a team this year with a consistent capacity to bring game falls on the coach's inability to develop and build a meaningful bench.

On this note: I find it very ironic that one of the things that brought our season to a close was a concussion to another player who rarely saw the floor and wanted to go elsewhere.
Matz's lack of play was clearly all on Matz, yes?
And yet, when push came to shove we actually ended up needing him. But who could have ever ever ever seen that coming? (eyeroll)

The individual dissection of the player will always favor the coach. However: The failure of putting together a team this year with a consistent capacity to bring game falls on the coach's inability to develop and build a meaningful bench.

To your point: I am hoping the team has a congruous relationship with Pitino and likes playing for him, or this failure, as you put it, will most likely not be easily resolved.

Here's hoping he does well wherever he lands. He handled the situation pretty well, seemed to support his teammates, didn't cause any issues. I think he will do well at a lower level where his quickness and vision will rip apart the competition; and his defense will be good enough for his new coach to let me see a lot of court time. Who knows, with more playing time he may develop an outside shot. In any case, I'll be pulling for him to make it.

As I said before... IW was his worst enemy because he let the social media hype get to his head. Because of all the Jelly Fam stuff, he believed he was something special. He did have talent but his play style was NYC playground. Was he a bad fit? Tough to know, he made bad choices when he got into the game, but whenever he cooled down and played under control, you could see the talent. Was Pitino able to help him harness it? Obviously not, and I tend to disagree with how Pitino would pull him for every little mistake, and yet play guys like Stull who wasn't that much better even though he was a grad transfer. He really didn't get much game time experience. That's just Pitino's style though... If he don't like you, you ain't getting no time at all. Hurt barely got any time his first few years, Wally, Gaston, on and on, etc... I guess they just weren't D1 talent in Pitino's eyes. Then why were they offered scholarships? What a waste. IW might be able to help a small school somewhere.

Top Bottom