Jelly Transferring

We will see won’t we! Absolutely all on Pitino I know that is for sure! When u get this kinda of a talented player u haven’t had in years u don’t F it up.

Out of curiosity, what is on Pitino? That he didn't play enough, or that he didn't show enough on the floor to get more playing time? When does that responsibility shift from coach to player? On one level, I am with you. I thought he should have played more. But when he played, his defense was consistently substandard. I think he has a good future, but at a lower level. Is your aggressive critique about your admiration of IW or your contempt of Pitino?

Unless you are there for practice, it's not likely you know any more than the rest of us who see potential but never saw enough execution on the floor.

I'd like to see him succeed, but he has a lot of work to do on his game to get there. As has been noted, not a good shooter and a downright bad defender. That's too many holes. He needs to have a productive off-season.

We will see won’t we! Absolutely all on Pitino I know that is for sure! When u get this kinda of a talented player u haven’t had in years u don’t F it up.

We spend way too much time focused on rankings. He was a victim of his own hype and the unrealistic expectations in part of his own doing.

Others have come in as far "inferior" players and flourished in this program (Mason/Murphy/Coffey). I'm not predicting a big turnaround in a different program.

I wanted IW to succeed here as much as anyone, but if he makes the NBA, I will name my first child "Gopherhoopsguy"

Not really a need for 5'11 point guards in the NBA who struggle with an outside shot

Holding u to this!!! Some keep saying Tre is a NBA guy IW twice as talented with the same outside shot percentages. Except IW can get in the lane on anyone and drop dimes with the best of them. I will stick by my opinion! Most don’t understand the PG position and what that position needs to bring.

Holding u to this!!! Some keep saying Tre is a NBA guy IW twice as talented with the same outside shot percentages. Except IW can get in the lane on anyone and drop dimes with the best of them. I will stick by my opinion! Most don’t understand the PG position and what that position needs to bring.

At the top of that list would be IW himself, sadly.

Allow me to quote myself...

Assume for a second that he's actually planning on leaving.

He just got beat by 20 to get kicked out of the tournament. A reporter sticks a mic in his face and asks him if he's leaving or coming back.

What the hell else is he going to say at that moment other than "I'm coming back"????

Out of curiosity, what is on Pitino? That he didn't play enough, or that he didn't show enough on the floor to get more playing time? When does that responsibility shift from coach to player? On one level, I am with you. I thought he should have played more. But when he played, his defense was consistently substandard. I think he has a good future, but at a lower level. Is your aggressive critique about your admiration of IW or your contempt of Pitino?

Unless you are there for practice, it's not likely you know any more than the rest of us who see potential but never saw enough execution on the floor.

The part that is on Pitino is different standards for different players. If Jelly did make his first shot or didn’t have a great pass in the first minute of play he was yanked. I would watch coffey fall down turnovers one 3 straight possessions nothing. Mcbrayer go 0 for the world many many games still in there. His D was as good as coffey or Mcbrayer. On a team that had absolutely no one to create for this team with the only player in the program that can get u easy buckets u play him. Would have had 3-4 more wins with him playing 20 minutes a game.

Big mistake by Richard messing this one up! JELLY was one of the most talented players on the roster not good! Happy for JELLY to get a new start I expect big things from him. I will even go as far and say he will play more minutes in the NBA than anyone on this years team.

There aren't a ton of guys who in the NBA who are under 6'1", can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, lack a mid range game and make bad decisions with the basketball.

I hope he finds success and gets his degree.

Sorry it didn't work out. We all had high hopes, but now this addition by subtraction. Hope he gets back near home and makes a big splash wherever he lands. He wasn't going to make it here.

There aren't a ton of guys who in the NBA who are under 6'1", can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, lack a mid range game and make bad decisions with the basketball.

I hope he finds success and gets his degree.

Well said. He has not been able to even guard his own shadow. Could care less about his ranking, i saw zero refined skills that make a team better. I still think he can be a serviceable D1 player but what great offers did he have ? Why did Villanova never even look. Pitino's own father did not like his game. He has to slow down his game to know where he is going because his teammates sure do not. Wish him all the best in his mental health and finding the best fit.

The part that is on Pitino is different standards for different players. If Jelly did make his first shot or didn’t have a great pass in the first minute of play he was yanked. I would watch coffey fall down turnovers one 3 straight possessions nothing. Mcbrayer go 0 for the world many many games still in there. His D was as good as coffey or Mcbrayer. On a team that had absolutely no one to create for this team with the only player in the program that can get u easy buckets u play him. Would have had 3-4 more wins with him playing 20 minutes a game.

Fair enough critique and defensible. Where I would separate is that we don't know what happens in practice and what he is told to do. I see a distinction between physical mistakes (bricking a shot, bad pass and a turnover) and mental ones (forcing something, bad decisions, etc.) IW's mistakes were often more mental than physical. I don't know for sure but my guess is he wasn't ever pulled for missing a shot, but taking bad ones too early in the clock. I am with you, though, that I thought he should have played more. My guess is that there was an agreement between IW and Pitino sometime in February that this would happen. I think both showed dignity and class throughout it.

I have no idea what their scholarship situation is like, but if he’s trying to get eligible right away with the sick family members at home angle, Saint Johns looks like a fit. Ponds just left early too

One of the things I've learned from coaches is the Number One thing they want after hustle is consistency, especially from their point guard. Pitino specifically mentioned that consistency was a challenge for IW. And when coaches are talking about consistency, they're not just talking about in games. They're especially interested in the day-to-day consistency and improvement shown in practice. As mentioned before, what you do in practice has a huge influence in your playing time where Pitino is concerned.

Obviously, I wasn't at any practices, but it seems like coach could never feel confident on which Isaiah was going to show up at practice, and therefore games. There were times I thought IW could have been helpful, but wasn't in the game. There were also times when you watched him get torched time and time again on defense and wondered if he would ever play again. And finally, there were times where he was a magician in dealing the ball for easy buckets. That's the point, from game to game, (and I can only assume from Pitino's comments during the year, practice to practice as well) you never knew what was going to happen when he took the floor. Coaches generally can't stand that, and if it never changes, they'll go with the known rather than the unknown.

I have no doubt that IW will find a hoops home (probably not the Big 10) and will end up having a nice college career. NBA? I would think that unless he gets bigger, or much, much better defensively, he'll likely need to become a Curry-like shooter to play in the NBA.

He seems like a nice enough kid but he couldn't shoot from the outside and would get his "Jelly roll" blocked more often than not in the Big 10. Added to that, he was a turnover machine against quality opponents and didn't defend. I don't see this is a loss for the team.

The number of people that assumed, "Well, there you have it. He's not leaving" was idiotic.

Of course you were right. Wasn't fair to ask the question at that time in the first place. I'm a fan of humility, though I am pretty short on it myself.

Of course he has different standards for different players. That's not only coaching 101 but life 101.

It would absolutely insane if Coffey didn't have a longer leash than IW and IW's defense was putrid and comparing it to Coffey's or McBrayer's is asanine.

As far as Isaiah getting easy buckets. He did this a bit in non conference games, but he was horrendous in conference for us. I think you fell in love with the recruit and are misremembering his reality.

He was small guy who couldn't shoot, couldn't play defense, lacked explosiveness and couldn't finish at the rim. . . to top it off, he made bad decisions with the ball. That's his reality.

IW was one of the least efficient basketball players ever to wear a Gopher uniform and play significant minutes. His game was an analytics nightmare. He seemed like a decent dude but when his Internet-fueled hype didn't nearly match production there was bound to be friction and a split.

I wish him the best of luck at his next stop, which will probably be at a mid or low-D1 program. Maybe a trip home to one of the NY schools would do him good.

I want whatever gopherhoopsguy is smoking.

On another note, I'm willing to bet he ends up at a MAAC school, specifically Iona. That system, conference and style of play (assuming Tim Cluess is still there) would fit his skillset perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow... all the assumptions. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One of the things I've learned from coaches is the Number One thing they want after hustle is consistency, especially from their point guard. Pitino specifically mentioned that consistency was a challenge for IW. And when coaches are talking about consistency, they're not just talking about in games. They're especially interested in the day-to-day consistency and improvement shown in practice. As mentioned before, what you do in practice has a huge influence in your playing time where Pitino is concerned.

Obviously, I wasn't at any practices, but it seems like coach could never feel confident on which Isaiah was going to show up at practice, and therefore games. There were times I thought IW could have been helpful, but wasn't in the game. There were also times when you watched him get torched time and time again on defense and wondered if he would ever play again. And finally, there were times where he was a magician in dealing the ball for easy buckets. That's the point, from game to game, (and I can only assume from Pitino's comments during the year, practice to practice as well) you never knew what was going to happen when he took the floor. Coaches generally can't stand that, and if it never changes, they'll go with the known rather than the unknown.

I have no doubt that IW will find a hoops home (probably not the Big 10) and will end up having a nice college career. NBA? I would think that unless he gets bigger, or much, much better defensively, he'll likely need to become a Curry-like shooter to play in the NBA.

Fair response but u can’t expect any player to become consistent in game situations where I play one game get pulled 2 minutes the next for missing a shot. U have to play through things and let players figure these out. Why do u have the different expectations for different players? Seen all these makes and way more yet said player is playing 40 minutes a game. Were there mistakes of course there are with young players always will be.

I won't say it's "good" because we now have 4 open scholarships and his may end up going to a walk-on for next season. But I couldn't imagine why he would stay. Best of luck IW.

His defense was as good as Coffey or Mcbrayer is quite possibly the dumbest statement ive seen on here, Jelly is one of the worst defenders i've seen play for the Gophers and i've had season tickets for 30 years.

He did a pretty good job of handling the media all season when he likely figured out he was going to leave weeks ago.

For the last damn time, can we not call him Jelly?

Can't remember people calling guys by a move. No one said "Wow, did you see the game Dream Shake had last night?" It isn't tough to call him by his proper name, or use IW...its easy.
Did you ever watch Oil Can Boyd, the Ice Man or Chocolate Thunder?

Last edited:

Sad to say I think this will come back to haunt us. I bet Washington is good at his next stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have fun playing at Iona, Jelly...

Top Bottom