Jelly Transferring

Doh kay. He, Andre Hollins and Mason are quite comparable. Just because he can dribble around without getting the ball stolen doesn't mean he's quick. He does have good handles.

He's just a much better overall athlete than either. Those guys weren't that fast for Big Ten PG's. IW has good speed, not elite like Yogi or Matheiu but good speed. The others I would say have average or below average speed and quickness.

He's just a much better overall athlete than either. Those guys weren't that fast for Big Ten PG's. IW has good speed, not elite like Yogi or Matheiu but good speed. The others I would say have average or below average speed and quickness.
When I think athletic, I think superior quickness and jumping ability. IW's vertical is nothing special, as we all know. Yeah, he's probably a little quicker, but at 5'10", he needs to be lightning quick and/or a huge leaper. And he needs to fight on D. He's none of those. He does have great handles, but only so far as preventing steals. His decision-making kills him and I don't think he runs the offense the way Pitino wanted it run. He just ran around and made "great" passes that his teammates didn't see coming. I don't think they ever really knew what he was up to.

When I think athletic, I think superior quickness and jumping ability. IW's vertical is nothing special, as we all know. Yeah, he's probably a little quicker, but at 5'10", he needs to be lightning quick and/or a huge leaper. And he needs to fight on D. He's none of those. He does have great handles, but only so far as preventing steals. His decision-making kills him and I don't think he runs the offense the way Pitino wanted it run. He just ran around and made "great" passes that his teammates didn't see coming. I don't think they ever really knew what he was up to.

He is definitely not 5'10". I've brushed shoulders with him and we seemed to be the exact same height. I'm about 6'2".

He is definitely not 5'10". I've brushed shoulders with him and we seemed to be the exact same height. I'm about 6'2".

I liked IW but I doubt he is 6-2 and I don't think he can dunk. I think he would have been unstoppable if he had good vertical. He just could not get a shot off around the hole. He could get to where ever he wanted off the bounce.

I liked IW but I doubt he is 6-2 and I don't think he can dunk. I think he would have been unstoppable if he had good vertical. He just could not get a shot off around the hole. He could get to where ever he wanted off the bounce.

Well, he's for sure at least 6'1", which is what he's listed at. I've also seen him dunk. He does however play like he's 5'7" after he gets to the rim for some reason.

Well, he's for sure at least 6'1", which is what he's listed at. I've also seen him dunk. He does however play like he's 5'7" after he gets to the rim for some reason.

He's got strange habits. He easily gets by his defender to the vicinity of the goal, but instead of explosively or efficiently finishing, he slows up and attracts help defense and blocked shots. I think it was the Michigan State game where he pulled up, hung in the air for an instant, and released this thing that was easily blocked. It's almost as though he wants to do some artistic runner or jelly roll in order to finally prove once and for all that the flashy stuff he did in high school is reproducible at the college level. I call them habits because I think that's what they are, and the coaches were unable to break him of them.

It's almost as though he wants to do some artistic runner or jelly roll in order to finally prove once and for all that the flashy stuff he did in high school is reproducible at the college level. I call them habits because I think that's what they are, and the coaches were unable to break him of them.

Or, he was looking to draw defenders and pass off but there wasn't anyone there or the defense stifled the pass. We've seen him drive into the interior and make good passes to people like Hurt, Stockman, and even Bakary last year. I don't think he's trying to make an artistic finish (at least not anymore). I think he learned after his first year when many shots were blocked that he had to finish more quickly and efficiently. I just don't think he's that explosive of a finisher (and he is short) and he has some doubt about his ability to do that now against higher level competition.

He's got strange habits. He easily gets by his defender to the vicinity of the goal, but instead of explosively or efficiently finishing, he slows up and attracts help defense and blocked shots. I think it was the Michigan State game where he pulled up, hung in the air for an instant, and released this thing that was easily blocked. It's almost as though he wants to do some artistic runner or jelly roll in order to finally prove once and for all that the flashy stuff he did in high school is reproducible at the college level. I call them habits because I think that's what they are, and the coaches were unable to break him of them.

He's scared of contact. That's his fatal flaw. He won't take it to the hoop & finish with ferocity. It's always a jelly doughnut, or a pull up. He won't fight through screens either. He always goes under to avoid the contact, leaving his man wide open for a 3. The rugged B1G was a horrible conference for his game. He needs a wide-open, no defense league. Maybe somewhere on the West Coast?

Good luck, IW. Hopefully he gets a great opportunity for some big minutes somewhere to show what he can do. For whatever reason, he wasn't getting that here, so its a good move for both sides. I do however wish he got that opportunity here, especially this season where the team was in dire need of a true point.

Good luck, IW. Hopefully he gets a great opportunity for some big minutes somewhere to show what he can do. For whatever reason, he wasn't getting that here, so its a good move for both sides. I do however wish he got that opportunity here, especially this season where the team was in dire need of a true point.
IW was given a lot of opportunity. He had every day in practice to prove himself. For reasons we will never know IW never proved he deserved more playing time. 2 years is ample time to show your coaches you deserve playing time.

IW was given a lot of opportunity. He had every day in practice to prove himself. For reasons we will never know IW never proved he deserved more playing time. 2 years is ample time to show your coaches you deserve playing time.

Oh yeah, he had opportunity here, just like any other recruit does. I'm not denying that...loads of opportunity. He always had a short leash on in game opportunity though. Something most recruits of his stature here don't go through. I don't feel he ever got the extended on court opportunity to show who he is as a player. I'm not taking a shot at Pitino, I'm just saying hopefully he gets that on court opportunity elsewhere.

He can dunk. I remember seeing vids on YouTube of him doing so.

I love reading the takes on on here, many of you make great sense...many of you not so much. We all have opinions right? Anyhow, best of luck to Mr. Washington I personally could see the talent but I could also see he did not fit the system we were asking him to play. If he could have adapted to what the Gophers were trying to do, put more effort into his defense he could have been really, really good. Sometimes those dribble drives with a nice dish just seemed unstoppable and make you get fired up! Problem is he would go down the floor the very next possession, dribble drive again but get doubled...heave up an off balance shot that wouldn't even be close, then let his guy walk past him on D for an easy layup. It was like the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde. You have what it takes IW, hope you find it and as one poster said...find your passion for the game again.

Has anyone heard where he is going next year? Anyone interested??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope Isaiah, Jamir Harris and Ahmed Gilbert all play well next year, no hard feelings

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Southwest Eastern North Carolina Technical Community College

I’m guessing with his crazy good handles and passing skills he’ll find a decent landing spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple-ation State? (Seriously...who doesn't LOVE apple jelly on toast????)

I hope he gets another shot. I obviously don't know him at all but from seeing him interact with teammates and during games, he seems like a good but immature kid. I think this will help him grow up a little.

I was absolutely not one of those people clamoring for him to get more minutes. But I will be rooting for JellyFam wherever he goes next.

I know his name isn't JellyFam, but I like that it pisses people off.

We recently had a kid attempt to transfer and then return. Any shot of this happening again? JellyFam rejoin the Fam?

I hope he gets another shot. I obviously don't know him at all but from seeing him interact with teammates and during games, he seems like a good but immature kid. I think this will help him grow up a little.

I was absolutely not one of those people clamoring for him to get more minutes. But I will be rooting for JellyFam wherever he goes next.

I agree. It would be nice for him to close out his college career on a high note.

Heard he really wants to go to St Johns but they havent shown any interest. Iona and Albany are the 2 schools I've heard.

Top Bottom