Jelly Transferring

I can't imagine anyone is surprised. Check out his body language during warm-ups of the biggest game of the season, and this was a regular pattern for home games as well. Watch the entire video and look at his shot attempt during warm-ups of an NCAA Tournament game:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

IW looks like he was just told he probably wasnt going to play. Duprees first layup was a joke too.

The whole team has terrible body language, the team cant even jog on to the court for an NCAA tournament game! Omersa and Gabe are the the only one showing any amount of effort here.

When i was a young kid going to highschool games i always got excited watching the team sprint out of the locker room, run around the court highfiving under the other teams basket and get into layup lines their end, it was one of my favorite parts of the game. This...not so much.

What if IW told Pitino 10 games ago that we was going to transfer?

IW's body language at the beginning of the year (which a lot of you commented on)was not good. maybe that is when he noticed his head was not in the game or that a discussion was had about leaving MN.

so many scenarios … we will never know what happened

Who, one on one, I don't see it, I doubt Tre Jones is any more explosive and who is quicker than Jones, not Winston, not Edwards, I don't see anyone.

Good grief. Do you actually watch college basketball?

IW looks like he was just told he probably wasnt going to play. Duprees first layup was a joke too.

The whole team has terrible body language, the team cant even jog on to the court for an NCAA tournament game! Omersa and Gabe are the the only one showing any amount of effort here.

When i was a young kid going to highschool games i always got excited watching the team sprint out of the locker room, run around the court highfiving under the other teams basket and get into layup lines their end, it was one of my favorite parts of the game. This...not so much.

Well, to be fair, that video shows when they first came onto the court well before the game was going to begin. For the second entrance, the more "official" one, I recall them running onto the court as you described.

What an absolutely classless thing to say. He admitted in his own social media post the season weighed on him heavily and it required him to see a therapist because he lost a love for basketball. The game will probably make him money overseas in a few years. Plus, his grandparents are apparently not in good health.

There was also talk on GI that he was dealing with another family situation that requires him being closer to home. He seems like a good kid, it just didn't work out. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

+10000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you ever had a job you were just waiting to quit? You've interviewed elsewhere and are just waiting to hear back and now you just don't have it in you to keep up with the fake smiles and all that? That's what that seems like. That said on the bench during games he always appeared to cheer on his teammates, remain engaged and not pout. But think about it this way: IW was the only guy on the bench not playing who realistically should've been expecting to play. Stull played a little bit at least.

Yeah, that first shot he half-a$$ed launched from 25 feet in the warmup didn't exactly look like a guy who was very engaged or concerned about getting ready to play.

Good luck to IW. I enjoyed his smile, not so much his play. I place a lot of the blame on our staff for bringing him in. I'm not sure he had any other B10 offers - red flag #1, and unfortunately he proved them right. In my opinion he isn't a B10 point guard. He will probably shine at a smaller school closer to home. I wish him the best. He seemed like a pleasant guy.

If the determining factor of whether to sign a player is the existence of other Big Ten offers - we would struggle to field a roster most years.

RandBall chimes in:

*In November 2016, Isaiah Washington officially signed his letter of intent to join the Gophers men’s basketball program. He was a four-star recruit and a top-50 ranked player nationally out of New York. Of the point guard, head coach Richard Pitino said this: “He is a dynamic player, loves the game, and is a lot of fun to watch on the court,” adding that he expected Washington to “make an impact on our program right away.”

Washington’s two seasons here did not work out as planned, and on Monday he announced his intention to transfer. In a statement, he offered a very good explanation: “However, this season took a toll on me mentally. I started to lose the love of basketball and my grandparents health issues added more to it. I’ve took the time to sit with a therapist to help me out. After talks with family, it’s best that I find a new home.”

Hey, it happens. Not all fits are great. Not all hyped recruits or prospects pan out.

http://www.startribune.com/check-ou...yers-have-to-wear-at-the-nfl-draft/508001712/

Go Gophers!!

The part that is on Pitino is different standards for different players. If Jelly did make his first shot or didn’t have a great pass in the first minute of play he was yanked. I would watch coffey fall down turnovers one 3 straight possessions nothing. Mcbrayer go 0 for the world many many games still in there. His D was as good as coffey or Mcbrayer. On a team that had absolutely no one to create for this team with the only player in the program that can get u easy buckets u play him. Would have had 3-4 more wins with him playing 20 minutes a game.

So much wrong with the bold part: No, no, no. IW was the worst defensive player on the team. He didn't even attempt to play tough defense. Coffey and McBrayer have warts to their games but were light years better than IW on D.

IW was his own worst enemy. I would have loved to see him play more, but he was so putrid on defense that it was almost impossible to let him out there.

RandBall chimes in:

*In November 2016, Isaiah Washington officially signed his letter of intent to join the Gophers men’s basketball program. He was a four-star recruit and a top-50 ranked player nationally out of New York. Of the point guard, head coach Richard Pitino said this: “He is a dynamic player, loves the game, and is a lot of fun to watch on the court,” adding that he expected Washington to “make an impact on our program right away.”

Washington’s two seasons here did not work out as planned, and on Monday he announced his intention to transfer. In a statement, he offered a very good explanation: “However, this season took a toll on me mentally. I started to lose the love of basketball and my grandparents health issues added more to it. I’ve took the time to sit with a therapist to help me out. After talks with family, it’s best that I find a new home.”

Hey, it happens. Not all fits are great. Not all hyped recruits or prospects pan out.

http://www.startribune.com/check-ou...yers-have-to-wear-at-the-nfl-draft/508001712/

Go Gophers!!

Without looking at national rankings, I am pretty sure Washington was not a top-50 ranked player. Could be wrong. will check now

I've heard it all on this forum.

Zion has no skill.
IW is one of the most explosive athletes in the country and is an average shooter.

My gosh.

Without looking at national rankings, I am pretty sure Washington was not a top-50 ranked player. Could be wrong. will check now

Further on his ranking, those are just internet sites. Those are not evaluations by coaches. Some coaches probably had him near top 50, other coaches not even top 150. They look at what fits for what they do as a team.

Further on his ranking, those are just internet sites. Those are not evaluations by coaches. Some coaches probably had him near top 50, other coaches not even top 150. They look at what fits for what they do as a team.
I wouldn't dispute that but a reporter like RandBall should probably use an impartial ranking site, however flawed, to make that claim. 247 composite had him as #61 when it was all said and done, looked like he got as high as #58.. so maybe he did have a top 50 ranking on some site, but I never personally considered Washington a top 50 player as I did Oturu

Wow... all the assumptions. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it makes people feel better to think he is terrible. Let's hope he finds his way with a right fit. Sometimes there simply is not a match. A coach that does not understand a player or a player that does not understand a coach...it happens all the time at all levels in all sports. I hope he finds a great fit and makes us disappointed he did not fit here. I also hope MN finds a right-fit replacement and everyone wins...the perfect scenario.

I think it makes people feel better to think he is terrible. Let's hope he finds his way with a right fit. Sometimes there simply is not a match. A coach that does not understand a player or a player that does not understand a coach...it happens all the time at all levels in all sports. I hope he finds a great fit and makes us disappointed he did not fit here. I also hope MN finds a right-fit replacement and everyone wins...the perfect scenario.

With that said, fit falls more on the coach than on the player. One is an authority figure with control, one is not. It is on the player to bring a good attitude and consistent effort. It is on the coach to put it all together.

I've heard it all on this forum.

Zion has no skill.
IW is one of the most explosive athletes in the country and is an average shooter.

My gosh.

Trolls and vultures. No one can be that blind.

With that said, fit falls more on the coach than on the player. One is an authority figure with control, one is not. It is on the player to bring a good attitude and consistent effort. It is on the coach to put it all together.
And what if the player doesn't bring a good attitude and consistent effort? There is circumstantial evidence to suggest this is the root of the problem.

IW isn't terrible. He can do a few things well. He also has noticeable areas where he doesn't do things well. The question is: Was IW good enough to play substantial minutes at UMN? Coach Pitino concluded the answer to be...No.
IW wanted more playing time and wanted freedom to play as he wished. He started to hate playing basketball. No one should hate a game they have loved, but...as with us all...there is a ceiling to the level at which you can play the game. Coach Pitino determined that IW had hit the ceiling and that ceiling wasn't good enough to play here at UMN. IW may go to a mid-level D1 school and be successful at that level because his ceiling fits with that level. It's clear he was being asked to play at a level above his ceiling here at UMN. That doesn't take away from IW as a person. It just means he can't play basketball at this level and be successful.
I wish IW all the best wherever he goes. I hope he recognizes his ceiling and finds a place where he can play and have fun.
A long time ago (in the late 70s) I played D3 ball with a kid who had started as a freshman at Georgia Tech. He left GT to play closer to home at Ball State, but he still felt no love for the game at the D1 level. So, he dropped down to D3 and found his passion. I loved playing along side that kind of talent. Just pass him the ball and get out of the way. This individual has had a successful career and life in the professional field in which he graduated. The man can still ball at age 60. Drop 3s on you from anywhere. Life is good.
I hope IW ends up loving the game again.

And what if the player doesn't bring a good attitude and consistent effort? There is circumstantial evidence to suggest this is the root of the problem.

Then the player is not holding his/her end of the bargain. The coach's job is to ask why they are not bringing it and can I bring it out of them. Great communicators will unlock more at a higher rate than poor communicators and people who do not understand people. However, sometimes things simply do not work out.

Why would that make us feel better? Washington isn't the first guy to transfer away. The reaction was much different when Joseph left.

If IW's career improves, it will be because he greatly improves. Right now, he is not a fit for any system. It's not like he's lightening quick without a jump shot. He isn't explosive, he can't shoot and he doesn't defend. He could be decent if he becomes an OK shooter and develops some sort of midrange/floater game. It's certainly possible and I hope it works out for him.

With most of these players, we can squint and see what could be a good player. They're on D1 scholarships for basketball. You could look at Ahmad Gilbert and say "if his shot could just impvoe to 37-38% from 3, he'd be a good wing". He was 6'7", good size for a wing, seemed to play hard. So why not? With Jamal Harris, we could squint and say "if he knocked down a few more threes and could handle spot PG duty, he'd be pretty good". All of these things are possible for Harris, Gilbert and IW. I genuinely hope they happen for them. These guys were Gophers and left on good terms, so I'll always root for them. However, there seems to be extra fixation on the "ifs" with a guy like IW.

Why would that make us feel better? Washington isn't the first guy to transfer away. The reaction was much different when Joseph left.

If IW's career improves, it will be because he greatly improves. Right now, he is not a fit for any system. It's not like he's lightening quick without a jump shot. He isn't explosive, he can't shoot and he doesn't defend. He could be decent if he becomes an OK shooter and develops some sort of midrange/floater game. It's certainly possible and I hope it works out for him.

With most of these players, we can squint and see what could be a good player. They're on D1 scholarships for basketball. You could look at Ahmad Gilbert and say "if his shot could just impvoe to 37-38% from 3, he'd be a good wing". He was 6'7", good size for a wing, seemed to play hard. So why not? With Jamal Harris, we could squint and say "if he knocked down a few more threes and could handle spot PG duty, he'd be pretty good". All of these things are possible for Harris, Gilbert and IW. I genuinely hope they happen for them. These guys were Gophers and left on good terms, so I'll always root for them. However, there seems to be extra fixation on the "ifs" with a guy like IW.

Why? Because people are strange and many like to see people fail who are "not on their side" despite whether or not it affects them personally. Tough to have any sense of IW this year. He barely saw he floor. Tough to get in a rhythm when you are not playing. Believe it or not, a coach can position a player to fail if a coach does not appreciate a players strengths and hates their weaknesses or their simply is not a system or personnel match or does not know how to inspire them. Not saying that happened here, because I am not sure what happened.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. He's awfully quick and fast. He can get to the lane whenever he wants to, he just has horrible shot selection, a very poor outside shot and doesn't give effort on defense but absolutely is very quick. Superior speed and quickness to Mason, Carr or Andre.

I don't think he's terrible but he's terrible at playing to his strengths.

He's a great ball hander and passer but a bad shooter, and he just jacks up way too many shots for my taste.

Superior speed and quickness to Mason, Carr or Andre.
Doh kay. He, Andre Hollins and Mason are quite comparable. Just because he can dribble around without getting the ball stolen doesn't mean he's quick. He does have good handles.

Top Bottom