Was 2018-19 duke the most overrated team of all time?

This was the first time I watched Duke. Their shooting % are not good and they play like individuals. Zion has amazing skills but I did not understand why they did not run more pick n rolls for him and why he didn't play the 5 position more often. I am glad Sparty beat them and that Jones n Reid won't get to play in MPLS. I didn't want to listen to the endless " they are coming home narrative " that's so predictable from the media.

West Virginia was in the top 15 in the pre-season rankings and finished last in their conference.

UCLA was top 25 in the pre-season rankings. They finished in the bottom half of a bad conference and didn't even make the NIT.

Kansas was #1 in the pre-season rankings and lost in the round of 32.

Duke was ranked #3 in the pre-season Coaches poll and #4 in the pre-season AP poll. They lost by 1 point in the Elite Eight.

But yea, Duke was probably the most overrated team this year, and probably the most overrated of all time.

Absolutely! A PG that can’t shoot or drive. I have never seen so much hype for a team that was all about talk not much of a team with so many holes.

Nevertheless, they weren't the most overrated team of all time. They weren't even the most overrated Duke team of all time.

I honestly don’t see anything spectacular about Zion. He’s athletic, bullies his way to the basket, and shoots free throws like LeBron. He looks like a LeBron clone. The media has already portrayed him as the next great NBA player. And before you say it’s not bad to be a LeBron clone, LeBron’s not even the best at his position. I’d take Larry Bird over LeBron and Scottie Pippen. The NBA of this generation is like watching WWE.

This was the first time I watched Duke. Their shooting % are not good and they play like individuals. Zion has amazing skills but I did not understand why they did not run more pick n rolls for him and why he didn't play the 5 position more often. I am glad Sparty beat them and that Jones n Reid won't get to play in MPLS. I didn't want to listen to the endless " they are coming home narrative " that's so predictable from the media.

Couldn’t agree more. So sick and tired of media-particularly ESPN talking about Duke and Coach K. With all their top recruiting classes and not make the big dance tells me he did a terrible job coaching. I for one, was happy that those players who left the State got beat. Couldn’t happen to more deserving players.

West Virginia was in the top 15 in the pre-season rankings and finished last in their conference.

UCLA was top 25 in the pre-season rankings. They finished in the bottom half of a bad conference and didn't even make the NIT.

Kansas was #1 in the pre-season rankings and lost in the round of 32.

Duke was ranked #3 in the pre-season Coaches poll and #4 in the pre-season AP poll. They lost by 1 point in the Elite Eight.

But yea, Duke was probably the most overrated team this year, and probably the most overrated of all time.

I was basing the question more off the end of year year than the beginning.
I have no idea who is ranked at the beginning of any season before anyone has played a game

I’m sure there are teams who have no business being ranked who are and then have losing seasons

Nearly every coach would love to have Jones. Tremendous defender, great passer. On a poor perimeter shooting team he was asked to loosen the defense with too many deep shots. On a team like UVA he would have averaged more like 5 points and 10 assists, no turnovers and defensive player of the year.

I would agree that he has good potential, he just needs to be “coached up” better... lol. At least from the one game sample size I saw.

So, did he make the wrong decision to go to Duke?

Sure looked like Duke was nothing special without Zion. Not what you would expect from “the best coach in the country” and a team full of All Americans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more. So sick and tired of media-particularly ESPN talking about Duke and Coach K. With all their top recruiting classes and not make the big dance tells me he did a terrible job coaching. I for one, was happy that those players who left the State got beat. Couldn’t happen to more deserving players.

I think this year has really exposed the major flaw in the one and done system. I thought I heard that there are no top 100 recruits playing key roles for any of the final 4 teams but could be wrong about that.

Duke had an unbelievable amount of individual talent on that team but they got beaten by a true TEAM in Michigan State. There is a reason why we see teams loaded with upper classmen do well in the tournament each year, they understand how to play together and make the most of their individual talents. Guys that are in college for one year are only worried about making themselves look good for the NBA.

I would agree that he has good potential, he just needs to be “coached up” better... lol. At least from the one game sample size I saw.

Sure looked like Duke was nothing special without Zion. Not what you would expect from “the best coach in the country” and a team full of All Americans!

I wouldn't say he needs to be coached up, he just needs to work on his outside shot. I mean, every player in the country needs to be coached up but I don't think Tre needs it more than anyone else.

I don't know that he made the wrong decision in going to Duke but he was clearly a distant 4th in their freshman group in terms of the attention he received.

Had he come to the U of M the spotlight would have been on him all year, at Duke it was all Zion all the time and when the other guys got mentioned it was really just the other two and not Jones.

If his goal was to get out of Tyus's shadow and make a name for himself he failed miserably in that regard this year by following in Tyus's footsteps to Duke but failing to win it all the way his older brother did. I really hope Tre stays in school for another season as he could use the development time as opposed to going to the NBA and getting buried on someones bench or stuck in the G-League.

Maybe he should invent some hardship and transfer back home, although I am sure he would have to sit a year since we are not basketball royalty.

I was basing the question more off the end of year year than the beginning.
I have no idea who is ranked at the beginning of any season before anyone has played a game

I’m sure there are teams who have no business being ranked who are and then have losing seasons

I mean, they lost by 1 point in the Elite Eight to a team that a fair amount of people thought should have been a 1-seed. Since the tournament went to 64 teams there have been 43 1-seeds that didn't even make it to the Elite Eight.

I don't recall anyone saying they were the best team of all time. They had flaws that were pointed out by many. Duke was #5 in the final regular season poll, and only moved up to #1 because they won their conference tournament and everyone ahead of them lost. They didn't end as a unanimous #1 either, multiple other teams got #1 votes. IMO they weren't overrated at all.

Do you mean that they didn't deserve the number 1 overall seed? I'm not really sure who should have gotten it instead of them. Virginia is the only one where I think you can make an argument, and Duke went 2-0 against them.

I don't know that he made the wrong decision in going to Duke but he was clearly a distant 4th in their freshman group in terms of the attention he received.

Had he come to the U of M the spotlight would have been on him all year, at Duke it was all Zion all the time and when the other guys got mentioned it was really just the other two and not Jones.

If his goal was to get out of Tyus's shadow and make a name for himself he failed miserably in that regard this year by following in Tyus's footsteps to Duke but failing to win it all the way his older brother did. I really hope Tre stays in school for another season as he could use the development time as opposed to going to the NBA and getting buried on someones bench or stuck in the G-League.

Maybe he should invent some hardship and transfer back home, although I am sure he would have to sit a year since we are not basketball royalty.

Tre is going to stay at least one more year. He wasn't recruited as a one and done.

Tyus wasn't going to be a one and done either. But then he finished the season so well, won FF MOP/national title, and Flip promised to take him in the first round so it made too much sense for him to leave.

That Duke team was probably the most heralded Freshman class since the Fab 5. Highly regarded talent and star power.

Talent doesn't win a team game. Duke 2019 & Fab 5, neither will be considered in discussion of the best teams ever. But both drew eyes and ratings to historic levels. But again, having the most talent doesn't mean great team.

Last edited:

I honestly don’t see anything spectacular about Zion. He’s athletic, bullies his way to the basket, and shoots free throws like LeBron. He looks like a LeBron clone. The media has already portrayed him as the next great NBA player. And before you say it’s not bad to be a LeBron clone, LeBron’s not even the best at his position. I’d take Larry Bird over LeBron and Scottie Pippen. The NBA of this generation is like watching WWE.

.....wut?

That Duke team was probably the most heralded Freshman class since the Fab 5. Highly regarded talent and star power.

Talent doesn't win a team game. Duke 2019 & Fab 5, neither will be considered in discussion of the best teams ever. But both drew eyes and ratings to historic levels. But again, having the most talent doesn't mean great team.

Most over hyped, not over rated . As for going to Duke, Jones got to play at Duke, for K and in front of more big tv audiences then he would ever get here. At the very least his critics should take in a game there, see what big time tradition and success look like. Why do so many people think staying in your home state is what others would never even think of. Very strange to me.

really?

Wow, yeah

32-6 and a 1 point loss in the game to make the final four.

they should apologize.

how overrated.

Wow, yeah

32-6 and a 1 point loss in the game to make the final four.

they should apologize.

how overrated.

They were thought of by many as the clear best team in the country. You can be deserving of being highly rated and be overrated at the same time.

"They were thought of by many as the clear best team in the country. You can be deserving of being highly rated and be overrated at the same time."

Wow. thanks for that fine clarification.

Do you think Gonzaga thought duke was the best team in the country after beating them with Zion early this season?

Stop buying into the media hype from Jay Bilas and Jay williams, both went to duke.

By the way, didnt Duke win the ACC tournament? out of which 2 other teams got 1 seeds in the NCAA?

Yes, overrated indeed.

Top Bottom