Gophers Basketball In-Game Strategy

Dwight Schrute

When I die I want to be frozen
Reaction score
would love to read people's thoughts on some In-game strategy:

If the Gophers are up by 3 with under 10 seconds to go, should Richard Pitino instruct his team to foul (before the shot), if the opposing team has the ball?

If the Gophers are up by 3 with under 10 seconds to go, should Richard Pitino instruct his team to foul (before the shot), if the opposing team has the ball?

What does this have to do with Pitino? The way you frame this, it implies that the answer may be different if it wasn’t Pitino.

What does this have to do with Pitino? The way you frame this, it implies that the answer may be different if it wasn’t Pitino.

Nothing really. It just personalizes the discussion. Not trying to cause any problems here. I just really would love to see some great thoughts on in-game strategy, questions to ask, situational analysis. I always wonder these things as I watch the games.

I wouldn't foul until less than 3 seconds.

3rd Option - Team goes for quick 2 then fouls literally anyone the gophers would have on the floor at the end of the game. Gophers either miss 1 of 2 at the line or front end of 1 & 1. Team gets a two at the end of game to either win or send to overtime.

Lots of information missing here.

Is it the 1st or 2nd half? Do they have fouls to give?

Depends on the situation. Is the other team a good 3 point shooting team? Purdue did the right thing in my opinion. Their execution was just really bad after the missed FT.

Better question would be if he was coaching 'bama what would he do? Or maybe 'cuse? Have to look at all the angles.

My opinion: no, do not foul up 3.

That depends. Is he coaching Minnesota or Alabama in this scenario?

Aggressively deny and try to poke it away. If they call a foul so be it.

Depends on the situation. Is the other team a good 3 point shooting team? Purdue did the right thing in my opinion. Their execution was just really bad after the missed FT.

still cant believe Painter had Eifert in instead of williams to rebound

Aggressively deny and try to poke it away. If they call a foul so be it.

this makes a lot of sense, as longs as you be sure not to foul if he is shooting a 2 or a 3 (thus a possible 3 or 4 point play)

Mathematically it has been shown there is almost no difference between the two strategies in terms of % of time you win in regulation.

If you don’t foul it is impossible to lose in regulation.

Better question would be if he was coaching 'bama what would he do? Or maybe 'cuse? Have to look at all the angles.

wow. way to add to the discussion. I think it depends on both teams FT percentage, if you're playing Iowa who if I'm not mistaken shot over 80% this year and the gophers who shot under 70 with no good FT shooter at all I defend. On the flip side Iowa would be wise to foul any Gopher

Mathematically it has been shown there is almost no difference between the two strategies in terms of % of time you win in regulation.

If you don’t foul it is impossible to lose in regulation.

That is a great point! And even the best teams have only about a 40% chance of hitting a 3.

Getting back to the original post - the Gophers have in-game strategy?

Do we have any verification on that, or is that just wishful thinking?

Foul the guy taking the three, but not enough to disturb the shot. And make sure he is a great clutch FT shooter.

That is very wrong. Losing team hits a 3, steals the inbounds pass, makes a layup/jumper/3 - game over.

True, "impossible" was probably too strong of a word, but the odds of all that happening are very low if you dont foul.

In a vacuum there is no difference but there is a big difference between 10 seconds left and 3 or less. Who your playing against should be a factor, how skilled and smart the other team is, how many great shooters do they have, how often do they tip out free throw misses, what is the health and foul situation, effective in bounds plays off a miss free throw that goes OB. Also the best defensive teams like to play it straight, no foul because they believe in stopping you and winning the game right there.

Top Bottom