A landmark to remember a legacy: Roundabout will get Floyd of Rosedale sculpture

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Messenger:

A new project will combine history, athletics and public art to preserve the legacy of Floyd of Rosedale.

The famous pig, given as a prize in 1935 in an attempt to diffuse racial tensions around a big football game, will be the subject of a new sculpture to be installed at the roundabout at 10th Avenue North and 32nd Street.

“The idea behind the pig, or Floyd, in the roundabout is to retain that legacy, and the story behind it,” said Fort Dodge Councilman David Flattery, who is on the Floyd of Rosedale Planning Committee. “This is arguably the most popular traveling trophy between Division I college football teams, Iowa and Minnesota.

“I don’t think the generations behind me know the story, and you want to retain that legacy. When you retain that legacy and that story, it builds pride in the community.”

The Fort Dodge Public Art Committee is now seeking proposals from sculptors all over the country to design a tribute to the story of the pig and the football teams. The project will be paid for from donations, not from tax dollars or public funds. The deadline for submissions is April 9.

Other public art projects, such as the mural painted on the old grain silos on Hawkeye Avenue, have also been done through donations with no tax dollars, Flattery said.

There are a lot of sub-stories within the story of Floyd, Flattery said.

Not everyone realizes the pig was first wagered after a game with racial overtones, he said. All-American running back Ozzie Simmons, who played for the Hawkeyes, was one of the few black players at the time and had been knocked out three times during a previous game against the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

“There’s a racial element to it–and there were tensions between both universities, but they settled it with a wager,” Flattery said. ”And Floyd of Rosedale, the pig, was the wager.”

What will the sculpture look like, and how big will it be? That’s up to the sculptor’s imagination, Flattery said. But it can’t be an exact replica of the official traveling trophy, to respect copyrights, he said.

One of the first steps in starting the project was coordinating with both the University of Iowa and the University of Minnesota, he said.

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/03/a-landmark-to-remember-a-legacy/

Go Gophers!!

They better do that as we're going to win the traveling Floyd more now.

per The Messenger:

A new project will combine history, athletics and public art to preserve the legacy of Floyd of Rosedale.

The famous pig, given as a prize in 1935 in an attempt to diffuse racial tensions around a big football game, will be the subject of a new sculpture to be installed at the roundabout at 10th Avenue North and 32nd Street.

“The idea behind the pig, or Floyd, in the roundabout is to retain that legacy, and the story behind it,” said Fort Dodge Councilman David Flattery, who is on the Floyd of Rosedale Planning Committee. “This is arguably the most popular traveling trophy between Division I college football teams, Iowa and Minnesota.

“I don’t think the generations behind me know the story, and you want to retain that legacy. When you retain that legacy and that story, it builds pride in the community.”

The Fort Dodge Public Art Committee is now seeking proposals from sculptors all over the country to design a tribute to the story of the pig and the football teams. The project will be paid for from donations, not from tax dollars or public funds. The deadline for submissions is April 9.

Other public art projects, such as the mural painted on the old grain silos on Hawkeye Avenue, have also been done through donations with no tax dollars, Flattery said.

There are a lot of sub-stories within the story of Floyd, Flattery said.

Not everyone realizes the pig was first wagered after a game with racial overtones, he said. All-American running back Ozzie Simmons, who played for the Hawkeyes, was one of the few black players at the time and had been knocked out three times during a previous game against the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

“There’s a racial element to it–and there were tensions between both universities, but they settled it with a wager,” Flattery said. ”And Floyd of Rosedale, the pig, was the wager.”

What will the sculpture look like, and how big will it be? That’s up to the sculptor’s imagination, Flattery said. But it can’t be an exact replica of the official traveling trophy, to respect copyrights, he said.

One of the first steps in starting the project was coordinating with both the University of Iowa and the University of Minnesota, he said.

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/03/a-landmark-to-remember-a-legacy/

Go Gophers!!

This quote is a bit confusing. Are they saying Floyd is the most popular traveling trophy in college football? (that's debatable). Or that it's the most popular traveling trophy between Iowa and Minnesota? (it's the ONLY traveling trophy between them).

This quote is a bit confusing. Are they saying Floyd is the most popular traveling trophy in college football? (that's debatable). Or that it's the most popular traveling trophy between Iowa and Minnesota? (it's the ONLY traveling trophy between them).

The former is a safe bet.

I would love to see a series of statues located around TCF Bank Stadium. Either a bit farther out on roadways (like the roundabout idea from Iowa) or even closer on the walkway around the stadium, similar to the way the Twins recognize their greats with statues around Target Field. An oversized statue of Floyd, the Axe, and the Jug, along with a prominent statue of whatever coach leads the Gophers out of the mediocre cycle they have been slumbering through for 50+ years. There is plenty of room around the stadium to accomplish this. But, I have to remind myself that they still haven't found a way to update the number of flag poles on the stadium's north rim for conference teams beyond the 11 that existed when it was built. So I know something this big and expensive would be a tall order.

Totally on board with your idea(s) Schnauzer. The trophy statues around the stadium would be great for photos (I bet the Goldy statue in front of Coffman [can I still call it that?] has thousands of pictures taken of it each year with alums, kids, fans, etc.). These are then posted to Social Media. What an inexpensive way to get free marketing/advertising done for the Gophers.

Totally on board with your idea(s) Schnauzer. The trophy statues around the stadium would be great for photos (I bet the Goldy statue in front of Coffman [can I still call it that?] has thousands of pictures taken of it each year with alums, kids, fans, etc.). These are then posted to Social Media. What an inexpensive way to get free marketing/advertising done for the Gophers.

They have to be good ones though.

I've seen a lot of statues put up other places and I don't know if everyone is cheaping out or the art of making a cool statue is gone but.... man lots of ugly stuff out there.

I would love to see a series of statues located around TCF Bank Stadium. Either a bit farther out on roadways (like the roundabout idea from Iowa) or even closer on the walkway around the stadium, similar to the way the Twins recognize their greats with statues around Target Field. An oversized statue of Floyd, the Axe, and the Jug, along with a prominent statue of whatever coach leads the Gophers out of the mediocre cycle they have been slumbering through for 50+ years. There is plenty of room around the stadium to accomplish this. But, I have to remind myself that they still haven't found a way to update the number of flag poles on the stadium's north rim for conference teams beyond the 11 that existed when it was built. So I know something this big and expensive would be a tall order.

Spot on!

Saddam Hussein size statues? A saber rattling pig. :pig:

per The Messenger:

When former Iowa Hawkeye quarterback Chuck Long arrived on the University of Iowa campus in 1981, one of the first things he heard about was the rivalry with the Minnesota Gophers and the Floyd of Rosedale trophy that goes along with it.

“One of our trainers did this Floyd of Rosedale chant and he did it every single time we were about to play Minnesota,” Long recalled during a Floyd of Rosedale ribbon-cutting ceremony Thursday afternoon. “Get Floyd back was the name of the chant.”

The ribbon-cutting was held at the North 32nd Street roundabout, where a Floyd of Rosedale sculpture will be located in the future. The event, hosted by the Floyd of Rosedale Planning Committee and the city of Fort Dodge, marked an occasion for fundraising efforts to continue for the project.

Floyd was a pig who really existed years ago, and he lived on a farm on the east side of Fort Dodge near Rosedale Rapids, which is now the city’s aquatic center.

In 1935, Minnesota Gov. Floyd Olson offered a bet to Iowa Gov. Clyde Herring. Olson bet a live hog on the outcome of the football game, and Herring accepted.

Iowa lost the game, so Herring obtained a hog from Allen Loomis, the owner of Rosedale Farms. Herring named it Floyd after the Minnesota governor and had it delivered to Olson’s office.

Olson later commissioned a 98-pound bronze sculpture of the animal, which became the traveling trophy for which the two teams compete today.

During Long’s playing days, he held a record of 2-2 against the Gophers while he was the Hawkeyes’ starter.

That means on two occasions he was part of bringing the Floyd of Rosedale trophy home to Iowa.

“It was a tough rivalry,” Long said. “We knew it would be. It was so enjoyable when we won that game, to rush over there and get Floyd back and carry Floyd of Rosedale back to Kinnick and back to our locker room.”

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/04/the-pigs-the-thing/

Go Gophers!!

The "Welcome to Minnesota" signs on the Minny/WisconSIN border, should have a "Home of the Axe" banner.

The pig is under appreciated.

I've seen multiple articles talking about traveling trophies. Floyd is commonly #1. And in the articles that don't have Floyd as #1....it's the Axe. The Jug is always up there as #3 or #4 as well. Hell.....I've even seen the $5 Bits of Broken Chair trophy on top 20 best traveling trophy lists. One of the unique perks of being a Gopher fan. Our rivalry games come with hardware and a celebration.

For those historians here, when was the last time, if ever, Minnesota had the "Grand Slam" of traveling trophies in their trophy case?

Floyd of Rosedale project moves forward

Soon, some pig could be a traffic-stopper at 10th Avenue North and 32nd Street.

About a year since its steering committee was formed, the Floyd of Rosedale public art sculpture has received approval from the newly-formed Public Arts Commission to move forward, slated for a potential 2020 installation.

“The plan is to create a close replica of the trophy itself for the 32nd Street roundabout for visibility,” said David Flattery, city councilman for Ward 3, to the city’s Public Arts Commission at its first meeting Thursday. “But it’s really to resurrect the story of Floyd that could someday be lost.”

The patina-finish public hog, which preliminary conceptual sketches show will stand 14 feet tall and 15 feet long, aims to bring to light the story behind the legendary pig that solved significant racial disputes between the University of Iowa and the University of Minnesota.

The tradition that lives in the form of a trophy held by the winner of matches between the Division I college football teams started as a wager for a live hog, offered to Iowa Gov. Clyde Herring by Minnesota Gov. Floyd Olson.

Floyd0-1100x819.jpg

https://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/08/floyd-of-rosedale-project-moves-forward/

Go Gophers!!

Someday they need to bring back the real pig.

In the television era of college football a real-life Floyd would quickly re-escalate this rivalry nationally. And a real Floyd could be a great partnership between IA/MN 4-H clubs.

They should do that at a few intersections for each iteration of the CyHawk trophy. I still chuckle when I think of the "Children of the Corn" version... Though the original wasn't exactly a peach, either. :)

I see their crappy Photoshop work and raise them. Here is my proposal for I94 coming into Minnesota from Wisconsin.
New.I94.jpg

Attachments

• New.I94.jpg
    New.I94.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Top Bottom