Shooter: It looks like, deservedly, Richard Pitino will soon be getting an extension

You really think the people who support Richard think that the next 6 years are going to be repeat of the past six years? Of course they don't.

How long of bumping along with a decent to good season followed by a bad season becomes enough? He's finished 7th or worse all but one season, and his 9-11 conference record this year actually improved his overall conference winning percentage up to .364.

Dupree will be replaced by Carr, a double digit scorer in the ACC, not a freshman and again, we still have multiple scholarships to get high level impact grad transfers big men which I believe we will. If we make the tournament next year which I expect we will then we will have made the tourney 3 of the last 4 years and will be considered a more attractive option for recruits than we have been in the past.

If I truly believed this was the peak for Pitino then I would absolutely be in favor of firing him. I felt that way when Tubby beat UCLA, thought he reached his peak and would only decline after that and was glad when he was fired. But with Pitino, I absolutely think he can build on his success this year, go to the tourney again next year and eventually get some high level impact recruits after sustained, consistent success and possibly reach a new level.

That's a bunch of qualifiers.

That's a bunch of qualifiers.

No, we are not going to become a final 4 team overnight, it takes time. That doesn't mean I think we should fire the coach or have lost all hope like I did with the previous coach.

Big mistake to bring pitino back....with hoiberg now at Nebraska, his Minnesota connections will enable him to recruit Minnesota players pitino does not have a chance to get. Had we not beaten penn state, hoiberg would be coach of the gophers.....Richard is a poor judge of talent (Gilbert,konate,Gigu, still, etc) these kids really don’t add depth to a B1G team. His players don’t develop and he is over his head vs Izzo, etc. Minnesota fans are happy with mediocrity, hence extend Pitino.

If the next 6 come anywhere close to the first 6 it is a failure of epic performance. I do want him to coach one more year but before i go into how good we will be i always look to see what other programs bring back, bring in and who their coach is. Transfers are far to difficult to count on as the best ones have better choices than what we can give. The next Bobby Jackson is not walking through that door. For me, only my opinion if we are 9-11 again that would be 7 years without even sniffing a conference title. That would be unacceptable to me. Other programs are not just sitting idle while we are improving and Indiana and Ohio State are stacking great players with great coaching and combining those with the Michigans, Purdue's, UW, Maryland and a well positioned Iowa we simply have to pass more than half of those ! Great coaches are easy to see but very hard to hire.

If the next 6 come anywhere close to the first 6 it is a failure of epic performance. I do want him to coach one more year but before i go into how good we will be i always look to see what other programs bring back, bring in and who their coach is. Transfers are far to difficult to count on as the best ones have better choices than what we can give. The next Bobby Jackson is not walking through that door. For me, only my opinion if we are 9-11 again that would be 7 years without even sniffing a conference title. That would be unacceptable to me. Other programs are not just sitting idle while we are improving and Indiana and Ohio State are stacking great players with great coaching and combining those with the Michigans, Purdue's, UW, Maryland and a well positioned Iowa we simply have to pass more than half of those ! Great coaches are easy to see but very hard to hire.
You should go read the Iowa athletics message board

No, we are not going to become a final 4 team overnight, it takes time. That doesn't mean I think we should fire the coach or have lost all hope like I did with the previous coach.

They are vague qualifiers as well. Never said anything about a final 4 overnight. See post #91. How long is eventually...and how long is enough? What does sustained, consistent success look like to you?

They are vague qualifiers as well. Never said anything about a final 4 overnight. See post #91. How long is eventually...and how long is enough? What does sustained, consistent success look like to you?

A few consecutive years of making the tournament, or say 3 out of 4 years like I expect after next year and then after that a few years of top 5 finishes in the conference, spending most of the year in the top 25 and playing in the second weekend.

Big mistake to bring pitino back....with hoiberg now at Nebraska, his Minnesota connections will enable him to recruit Minnesota players pitino does not have a chance to get. Had we not beaten penn state, hoiberg would be coach of the gophers.....Richard is a poor judge of talent (Gilbert,konate,Gigu, still, etc) these kids really don’t add depth to a B1G team. His players don’t develop and he is over his head vs Izzo, etc. Minnesota fans are happy with mediocrity, hence extend Pitino.

Don't be so sure about Fred and his style working in the big ten. He got lucky with transfers before. That route is very combustible

His Minnesota connections are pretty overblown IMO.

How many Minnesota high school players has Hoiberg recruited in his career as a college coach?

How many Minnesota high school players has Hoiberg recruited in his career as a college coach?

One. Royce White. Lots of other names, including Amir's, were tossed around. He's got a mouthpiece in Doogie, so you can bet we'll get a lot of "Freddie is in on NAME OF RECRUIT" and the Gophers don't have a chance tweets. Great.

I bet he doesn't last four years there. He'll hit the road for an NBA office job.

Very overblown. Hoiberg absolutely hates recruiting and pretty much relies on his assistants to do all of it when it comes to high school guys. Part of the reason why we've seen him take so many transfers in the past.

Pitino with a smashing success in 2017 recruiting...IW and Harris both gone.

One. Royce White. Lots of other names, including Amir's, were tossed around. He's got a mouthpiece in Doogie, so you can bet we'll get a lot of "Freddie is in on NAME OF RECRUIT" and the Gophers don't have a chance tweets. Great.

I bet he doesn't last four years there. He'll hit the road for an NBA office job.

Royce white was a transfer if I remember correctly

Shoot I forgot about that. Doogie seems to have an ax to grind against the Gophers recently (maybe we're part of that here at Gopherhole, honestly), and he is in love with Hoiberg, so we have that to look forward to the next few years.

Shoot I forgot about that. Doogie seems to have an ax to grind against the Gophers recently (maybe we're part of that here at Gopherhole, honestly), and he is in love with Hoiberg, so we have that to look forward to the next few years.

Ben Johnson used to hook Doogie up with scoops (pun intended). Once Ben left, Doogie went negative because current staff won't let him in.

I was thinking about this as well. Is there a single fan who wouldn’t rather have Hoiberg? We would have likely landed him if we made a move.

I was thinking about this as well. Is there a single fan who wouldn’t rather have Hoiberg? We would have likely landed him if we made a move.

Me. I'm ok with him leaving for NBA if he makes it better. I'm not sure he will and he still may go. I want a coach who focuses more on making us a good defense. I think Jeter being on staff will help Pitino improve our defense. Don't know if we will be elite though with him ever. If we go with a new coach, I want someone who'd make us elite, I don't think Fred does that personally.

How long of bumping along with a decent to good season followed by a bad season becomes enough? He's finished 7th or worse all but one season, and his 9-11 conference record this year actually improved his overall conference winning percentage up to .364.

I'm really not defending Pitino, I don't think he's a good coach.

I am just saying that the idea that the Pitino fans just hope for mediocrity is silly. They think Pitino's next six years will be way better than the past six years.

I am just saying that the idea that the Pitino fans just hope for mediocrity is silly. They think Pitino's next six years will be way better than the past six years.

And frankly, I'm not sure there are a ton of huge Pitino fans. There are probably more people like me who just acknowledge he's our coach, and will be for at least a year, that he's done okay when not afflicted by bad luck, and are hoping against hope he can move the program forward.

We know what we have with pitino a mediocre game coach, poor judgement on recruiting, player development is lacking so why not take a shot and make a change? The next couple classes in Minnesota are loaded with talent and we need a coach who can recruit them and develop a winning system. We will rue the day we give him this extension....

This is where it is different between football and basketball. In football it takes more time. In basketball it doesn't. Look at the basketball coaches who would be considered in the top tier, All of them accomplished a lot in their first six years. Finished first or second in their conference, won 5+ NCAA tournament games, etc. It really doesn't take very much time. Can't think of one top tier coach who didn't at least make the Sweet Sixteen and finish in the top two in their conference in their first six years. Name one who didn't.

BTW I'm fine with giving Pitino an extension as long as there isn't a drastically increased buyout. But anything that makes it impossible to fire him from a financial perspective would be a terrible idea.

I get that. But if you look at all of the successful coaches in college basketball, all of them showed a ton more than Pitino has in their first six years. The idea that it will all of a sudden get better would be a departure from the norm.

Can anyone name me a D1 men's college basketball head coach who eventually made the final four after not making the sweet sixteen or finishing in the top 2 in his conference in his first six years as head coach? (Not directed at you Bob, just asking to make the point for those who see it the other way.)

I agree. Also folks are fixated on Hoiberg and missing that opportunity. I would rather get Eric Musselman or Brian Dutcher.

Can anyone name me a D1 men's college basketball head coach who eventually made the final four after not making the sweet sixteen or finishing in the top 2 in his conference in his first six years as head coach? (Not directed at you Bob, just asking to make the point for those who see it the other way.)

I'll throw out an interesting example, Leonard Hamilton. Never made the tournament in his first 6 years at either Miami or Florida St. He hasn't been to the Final Four, but he went to the sweet 16 at Miami, three times at Florida St, with an Elite 8 appearance last year. He was also a failure over 4 years at Oklahoma St, his first head coaching job, where he was hired at the age of 36. Pitino is still only 36 today.

Add him to the list of misses by Pitino. Building a resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw out an interesting example, Leonard Hamilton. Never made the tournament in his first 6 years at either Miami or Florida St. He hasn't been to the Final Four, but he went to the sweet 16 at Miami, three times at Florida St, with an Elite 8 appearance last year. He was also a failure over 4 years at Oklahoma St, his first head coaching job, where he was hired at the age of 36. Pitino is still only 36 today.

Great guy, great recruiter, not a very good coach. Plus recruiting athletes to Tallahassee is night and day from here.

Top Bottom