Shooter: It looks like, deservedly, Richard Pitino will soon be getting an extension

Give him an extra year. Doesn’t mean his seat isn’t warm.

Kinda surprised the Gophers fans and the suits at the U settle for Pitino, especially looking at a school like Texas Tech that is going to the Final Four. Minnesota could've easily hired a great, young coach like Beard and be in the same place as Texas Tech, but the fans seem content with just making the tournament and that's all. As long as Pitino gets to the tourney, then that's all that matters no matter how bad they look. Fans and the admins need to aim higher and not settle.

A two year extension with a slightly lower buyout/season is good.

A two year extension with a slightly lower buyout/season is good.

yes. Really covers recruiting question and in the event of a available upgrade at coach or another poor season it is a easy out.

Kinda surprised the Gophers fans and the suits at the U settle for Pitino, especially looking at a school like Texas Tech that is going to the Final Four. Minnesota could've easily hired a great, young coach like Beard and be in the same place as Texas Tech, but the fans seem content with just making the tournament and that's all. As long as Pitino gets to the tourney, then that's all that matters no matter how bad they look. Fans and the admins need to aim higher and not settle.

Texas Tech? Didn't they hire Tubby away from us? :cool:

Last year we could have made the final 4 had we not had the injuries and suspension. He had built a really good team, and then to lose all of that and come back and make it to the tourny and win a game no one was expecting in the tourny that's pretty good.

Not sure how you "aim higher" as a fan. Is this where we should complain more after each loss? Get on GH and demoralize the team/coach/recruits by talking about how much they suck? Not renew your season tickets? Not watch anymore? Heckle Pitino at the Grocery store?

Everytime someone says this - it sounds to me being a "good fan" you actually need to be a depressed angry wounded Minnesota "bad" fan.

I guess I am just one of the fans that wants a national title next year but will probably have fun even if we don't get it.

(Note to new recruits - this is an awesome program that is on its way up with a coach that had a great year and is also on the rise. The barn is one of the best places to play and the community will welcome you with a job if you stick around to get a Big 10 degree. Expect to be in the dance next year, with a few key players expect to compete for Big 10 title over the next few years which means being on the national stage. An extension means that Pitino will here during your 4 year scholarship. Wounded MN fans will come around eventually and, while they are not that many, they can be kind of loud on here. Ignore them)

Last edited:

Plenty of Gopher fans who would have liked to see a change. Apparently, Coyle thinks Richard is "good enough". It always seems to be "next year" with Pitino...kind of like that sign "Free Beer Tommorow".

It's not fair to use the biggest outlier of the moment to claim that's what the Gophers would be getting if they just had someone different.

Beard was an unknown one-season coach at Arkansas Little-Rock. Nobody here would have been happy with that hire at the time. He was also blessed to have a local Lubbock kid (Culver) who's likely to be a Top 10 pick. He's done a great job with transfers though.

There is no guarantee that a different coach would take the Gophers to the next level.

Of course, there is no guarantee that Pitino will take the Gophers to the next level. With Pitino, there are 6 years worth of results and recruiting/roster decisions to evaluate.

bottom line, you have to weigh whether a new coach would have more upside, or whether Pitino can improve in certain areas and have more upside than someone coming in from the outside.

I don't have a clue. I just suspect that the Gophers are what they are - a program that bounces around the mid-level of the conference, and gets into the NCAA tournament every few years, with a couple of NIT appearances in between. I'm not sure any coach is going to change that.

So, is it OK to just be OK? I can't answer that. that is a question for the AD, the President, and the Board of Regents.

It would be kind of shooting him in the foot to bring him back without an extension, makes recruiting really tough. That being said, hopefully the buyout is reasonable.

Most Minnesotans don’t really want to win at the highest level. They want to be just good enough and not embarrassed.

Last year we could have made the final 4 had we not had the injuries and suspension. He had built a really good team, and then to lose all of that and come back and make it to the tourny and win a game no one was expecting in the tourny that's pretty good.

We were exposed in several games last year prior to the injuries. No way that was a final 4 team.

Whatever is my response. Rewarding a person for bad recruiting is an odd choice imo.

Most Minnesotans don’t really want to win at the highest level. They want to be just good enough and not embarrassed.

Not true and for the record - your demoralizing tantrums do not help anyone.

The bigger question to ponder is whether the the wounded fans are a result of the lack of recent sports success OR the lack of recent sports success is a result of you sucky fans?

We were exposed in several games last year prior to the injuries. No way that was a final 4 team.

Not really. They were undefeated and ranked 12th heading into the Miami game. Dupree missed that game, then Pree, and the team, were never the same after.

Not true and for the record - your demoralizing tantrums do not help anyone.

The bigger question to ponder is whether the the wounded fans are a result of the lack of recent sports success OR the lack of recent sports success is a result of you sucky fans?

It’s absolutely true for anyone that still supports Pitino. Why would you think the next 6 years are going to be significantly better?

Whatever is my response. Rewarding a person for bad recruiting is an odd choice imo.

No one really knows what the reward is. The devil is in the details of the buyout clause. If it is very low, it says the school lacks confidence for the long term, but wants to give him a chance. No extension puts him in a position impossible to succeed. No decent employer would do that to anyone. You create opportunities to succeed. A refusal to give an extension would make recruiting impossible.

Not really. They were undefeated and ranked 12th heading into the Miami game. Dupree missed that game, then Pree, and the team, were never the same after.

We were blown out at Arkansas before the injuries hit as well. And I believe there were a few bad losses in the B1G before Lynch was kicked off the team. Who did we beat that was any good?

There is no guarantee that a different coach would take the Gophers to the next level.

Of course, there is no guarantee that Pitino will take the Gophers to the next level. With Pitino, there are 6 years worth of results and recruiting/roster decisions to evaluate.

bottom line, you have to weigh whether a new coach would have more upside, or whether Pitino can improve in certain areas and have more upside than someone coming in from the outside.

I don't have a clue. I just suspect that the Gophers are what they are - a program that bounces around the mid-level of the conference, and gets into the NCAA tournament every few years, with a couple of NIT appearances in between. I'm not sure any coach is going to change that.

So, is it OK to just be OK? I can't answer that. that is a question for the AD, the President, and the Board of Regents.

I usually enjoy your takes, but this: “I just suspect that the Gophers are what they are - a program that bounces around the mid-level...” drives me nuts. There is really no reason to believe this.

It is really about getting the right coach, in basketball more than any sport. That may be Pitino moving forward, it may not. Yet no reason we can’t succeed at a Wisconsin, Purdue level, or like Iowa State as an example outside of the Big Ten. In fact, we have an advantage over them with not having to compete with other D1s like they do in their respective states: Marquette, Indiana, Butler, or Iowa.

We will know a lot more with Richard in the next 12 months I believe. Does he build on this year on court and recruiting or do we take a step back? Will be interesting to see. I hope we take a step forward, and if we don’t I suspect we will see a change by Coyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - they were looking really good prior to this and all fell apart.

No one really knows what the reward is. The devil is in the details of the buyout clause. If it is very low, it says the school lacks confidence for the long term, but wants to give him a chance. No extension puts him in a position impossible to succeed. No decent employer would do that to anyone. You create opportunities to succeed. A refusal to give an extension would make recruiting impossible.

That's why I responded with "whatever". I'm not at all impressed with Pitino but understand the dilema the U/team is in.

It’s absolutely true for anyone that still supports Pitino. Why would you think the next 6 years are going to be significantly better?

You're only as good as those you surround yourselves with. There was a massive turnover in staff last year. Whether that is because previous staff jumped ship or because Pitino was upgrading, I don't know. But the staff changes and what the hiring and firing decision makers think about them is likely at the heart of their immediate decisions. Whether it works or not remains to be seen, but it certainly gives one reason to believe that things could be better in the future. Fall recruiting will tell a lot.

I usually enjoy your takes, but this: “I just suspect that the Gophers are what they are - a program that bounces around the mid-level...” drives me nuts. There is really no reason to believe this.

It is really about getting the right coach, in basketball more than any sport. That may be Pitino moving forward, it may not. Yet no reason we can’t succeed at a Wisconsin, Purdue level, or like Iowa State as an example outside of the Big Ten. In fact, we have an advantage over them with not having to compete with other D1s like they do in their respective states: Marquette, Indiana, Butler, or Iowa.

We will know a lot more with Richard in the next 12 months I believe. Does he build on this year on court and recruiting or do we take a step back? Will be interesting to see. I hope we take a step forward, and if we don’t I suspect we will see a change by Coyle.

I doubt we’ll know much more at all in the next 12 months. He’s already had 6 years. We’ll pick up a few marginal recruits in the spring, land 1-2 of the 2020 in-state kids, and win 7-9 games in the B1G next year. Then what? Continue the cycle for the next 10 years?

We were blown out at Arkansas before the injuries hit as well. And I believe there were a few bad losses in the B1G before Lynch was kicked off the team. Who did we beat that was any good?

Providence and Alabama were both tournament teams.

I doubt we’ll know much more at all in the next 12 months. He’s already had 6 years. We’ll pick up a few marginal recruits in the spring, land 1-2 of the 2020 in-state kids, and win 7-9 games in the B1G next year. Then what? Continue the cycle for the next 10 years?

If Pitino lands an impact grad transfer PF, the Gophers could easily be better next year.

You're just trolling people here by insulting them hoping that your tantrum will make you feel better and/or poison other people to your way of thinking.

I'm trolling you back because it is a bad strategy and you are a bad fan. Plenty of real back and forth discussions here on the pro's and con's of Pitino so I won't respond to your question.

Top Bottom