ESPN: Coach K: NCAA not ready for 1-and-done change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called for the NCAA to take active steps to work with the NBA and federal legislators to formulate a new model for college basketball to address eligibility and compensation for players.

Asked about the eventual abolishment of the one-and-done rule, Krzyzewski took the discussion further, suggesting the NCAA has failed to be proactive in addressing obvious pitfalls that will come with the eventual rule change.

"The NBA will be well prepared," Krzyzewski said. "The NCAA is not prepared right now. They need to be in concert with the NBA in developing a plan that is specific for men's college basketball. And that should include what an athlete gets, how he's been taken care of, whether or not there's a reentry if something -- really, it's deep. And if we only look at it shallow, then we're doing a disservice to the kids."

Krzyzewski has enjoyed the fruits of the current one-and-done model, including this year's team which features four star freshmen who might have otherwise been able to move immediately to the NBA, led by superstar Zion Williamson.

Williamson has been at the center of discussion about amateurism and potential compensation for college athletes. In February, Williamson's Nike sneaker tore early in a game vs. North Carolina, and he missed the next month of action, with critics noting that he was not paid by Nike, was not compensated fairly by Duke and would be wise to simply sit out the rest of the season.

Williamson eventually returned, but Krzyzewski said it's clear that his star freshman is going to be the face of inevitable change for college basketball.

"He got hurt, and then all of a sudden, everything that had to do with college basketball had Zion's face on it," Krzyzewski said.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26399530/coach-k-ncaa-not-ready-1-done-change

Go Gophers!!

Headline should say “Duke not ready for one and done change”.

So the coach that depends on the one and done players is now worried about how he will adjust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the coach that depends on the one and done players is now worried about how he will adjust?

It's not an NCAA rule it's a NBA rule! Coach K has worn me out, used to have the utmost respect for him, but I'm now tired of him and his act. Stars will be in college basketball whether the Zions play or not

Kind of funny how coach K has come full circle on the whole one and done thing. When it first started Duke was slow to jump on board and leaned more on experienced players. Now they are full on one and done for the most part with their roster.

I am sure those schools that have come to rely on these one year "student" athletes are not looking forward to any sort of change. If players have to stick around for more than one year it improves the chances of the school getting busted for all the illegal benefits they are providing the players.

Whatever coach K wants is probably the wrong direction to take.

Hey, K, try recruiting a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries and you might actually win a regular season ACC title or go to the Final Four on occasion.

Hey, K, try recruiting a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries and you might actually win a regular season ACC title or go to the Final Four on occasion.

This was my thinking also, now he has to go back to recruiting instead of sending out invitations.

Coach K will need to coach ...not just recruit....

Won't he be retired by 2022 when the NBA has proposed that this would start?

I really dislike coach K at this point.

2013: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-parker-andrew-wiggins-julius-randle/3761643/

"In college basketball, you should not want to tell one story," Krzyzewski said. "If the one story you're telling is a lead-in to not even your sport, then somehow our sport needs to control that more. That's my take on it. That's why I think there should be a commissioner for basketball. I think we should work together. I'm not knocking anyone. You want ratings. We have to be careful. We have to sell our product."

Coach K, after recruiting a ton of one and dones and being successful: Against one and dones

Honestly, **** Coach K. One of the slimiest dudes out there but gets a pass for some reason.

I really dislike coach K at this point.

2013: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-parker-andrew-wiggins-julius-randle/3761643/

"In college basketball, you should not want to tell one story," Krzyzewski said. "If the one story you're telling is a lead-in to not even your sport, then somehow our sport needs to control that more. That's my take on it. That's why I think there should be a commissioner for basketball. I think we should work together. I'm not knocking anyone. You want ratings. We have to be careful. We have to sell our product."

Coach K, after recruiting a ton of one and dones and being successful: Against one and dones

Honestly, **** Coach K. One of the slimiest dudes out there but gets a pass for some reason.
Exactly how has he been slimy? Anything specific you care to share?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom