Badger bar to Move into old Library Location

If the new sally's had just been a new bar and not a reopening of a bar I liked before I think I would like it more. It's just so corporate/chainy now. The open bar is cool though and they do have good large TVs to watch games on.
The new Sally's is basically a cowboy Jack's with a different name. Owned by the same group, same menu. Definitely lost all it's character.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The new Sally's is basically a cowboy Jack's with a different name. Owned by the same group, same menu. Definitely lost all it's character.

The kids like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kids like it.

Can't say I dislike it. Just doesn't have any character. Definitely a chain feel to it. The guy that used to own Sally's has opened the Clive's Roadhouse restaurants. Wish he would put one on campus.

Honest question. Is Bullwinkle's still worth going to? I recall some nefarious activity there recently (last year?). I haven't been there in decades. I'd like to go back and check it out, unless I think I might get stabbed or something.

Pretty sure bullwinkles doesn’t exist. It has changed names and been shutdown in the past 10 years. It was pretty bad the last time I was there, don’t remember what it was called.

That place was hopping back in the day. The current Buffalo Wild Wings is in it's spot I believe.
Station 19 if you go even further back.

That place was hopping back in the day. The current Buffalo Wild Wings is in it's spot I believe.

Yeah, for some reason it just doesn't feel as fun in there. Although their outdoor tent can be a good time.

I thought this was an April Fools joke.

With respect to places with a good campus vibe, if you look without maroon and gold glasses I think we probably have one of the lamest overall atmospheres out there.

This. Also known for being lenient with checking IDs. Eventually caught up to them...

I remember watching the infamous Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (Buckner game) in the basement of Station 19 while consuming a lot of beer. I was 18...drinking age was 21. I didn't even need to show ID. Loved that bar and the Big 10, both were great college joints.

Station 19 if you go even further back.

This. Also known for being lenient with checking IDs. Eventually caught up to them...

I believe the news article that ran when they closed said that after multiple violations they lost their liquor license in perpetuity. :) Sally's has been flirting with this now. But in their defense they are just letting kids with pretty good fake ids drink, Station 19 never felt it was a real priority to ask for an id.

I thought this was an April Fools joke.

With respect to places with a good campus vibe, if you look without maroon and gold glasses I think we probably have one of the lamest overall atmospheres out there.

how many other campuses have a train that can get you to downtown area with a lot of bars?

Non college kids aren't going to flock to bars on campus

Honest question. Is Bullwinkle's still worth going to? I recall some nefarious activity there recently (last year?). I haven't been there in decades. I'd like to go back and check it out, unless I think I might get stabbed or something.

the last two times I tried to go there the doors were locked, they're supposedly still in business, but i dont know

how many other campuses have a train that can get you to downtown area with a lot of bars?

Non college kids aren't going to flock to bars on campus
Yeah but you would think there are enough students on campus to support a couple more bars.

Sporty's is still around and close by

Yeah but you would think there are enough students on campus to support a couple more bars.

How many bars do you need on campus? Sallys, Bloco, Library (or whatever its called now), blarneys, stub n herbs, loring (fancy but still), republic, town hall, corner bar, bullwinkles, blue door, sportys, idk that's just off the top of my head.

How many bars do you need on campus? Sallys, Bloco, Library (or whatever its called now), blarneys, stub n herbs, loring (fancy but still), republic, town hall, corner bar, bullwinkles, blue door, sportys, idk that's just off the top of my head.

West bank doesn't do much for me. How many of those are on the west bank? Bloco isn't really what I'd call a "bar".
All I know is when I go to a sporting event on campus it's almost impossible to find a spot at a bar on the east bank (Dinkytown or Stadium Village) even when you show up 2 hours before a game. That's even for hockey games where there's only 6,000 fans in attendance.

West bank doesn't do much for me. How many of those are on the west bank? Bloco isn't really what I'd call a "bar".
All I know is when I go to a sporting event on campus it's almost impossible to find a spot at a bar on the east bank (Dinkytown or Stadium Village) even when you show up 2 hours before a game. That's even for hockey games where there's only 6,000 fans in attendance.

Oh west bank doesn't do much for you so the bars there don't count even if they are good bars? Oh and the upstaris of bloco is a bar plain and simple.

Oh west bank doesn't do much for you so the bars there don't count even if they are good bars? Oh and the upstaris of bloco is a bar plain and simple.

I would never walk to west bank for a bar for a game. No - might as well just go to downtown Minneapolis. Even when I was a student west bank wasn't super convenient and didn't really know many people that went there. Again - might as well just go downtown. But maybe that's just me and my crowd I hang with.

Quite honestly, West Bank bars shouldn’t really count in this discussion. They cater to folks downtown more than campus. I lived on campus for 5-years and very rarely went to the West Bank. The vast majority of students are on the East Bank.

As far as pre-game? Who goes to the West Bank before a sporting event?

I would never walk to west bank for a bar for a game. No - might as well just go to downtown Minneapolis. Even when I was a student west bank wasn't super convenient and didn't really know many people that went there. Again - might as well just go downtown. But maybe that's just me and my crowd I hang with.

Sorry I didn't realize your statement about no bars on campus had only to do with game days. So bloco, library, blarneys, stub n herbs, BWW, sallys and i'm sure there are others. Surly usually has a good crowd. And then there is west bank which a lot of people can walk from or take other transportation to east bank of campus for the games.

Quite honestly, West Bank bars shouldn’t really count in this discussion. They cater to folks downtown more than campus. I lived on campus for 5-years and very rarely went to the West Bank. The vast majority of students are on the East Bank.

As far as pre-game? Who goes to the West Bank before a sporting event?

I lived on 10th ave and 8th street and we went to westbank at least once a week. I guess maybe because a friend lived on west bank. Sgt prestons was always a good time until you had to use the bathroom.... But the bars on westbank were always packed with students....

I lived on 10th ave and 8th street and we went to westbank at least once a week. I guess maybe because a friend lived on west bank. Sgt prestons was always a good time until you had to use the bathroom.... But the bars on westbank were always packed with students....

I think we can all agree there are never too many bars, right?

Anyone else having pro PJ response not getting printed?

Anyone been to LaCrosse? I would love to have something like that. One can dream.

A large part of the campus including dorm rooms are on the west bank. If you are looking for a place to eat and drink before or after the game Republic and Town Hall are tough to beat. The walk isn't that far and getting on the train is fast and easy. Better pay for the fare though, getting off at Stadium Village stop is one of the few places Metro Transit Police check for tickets.

Top Bottom