Badger bar to Move into old Library Location

As far as pre-game? Who goes to the West Bank before a sporting event?

A lot of people, particularly those who park in one of the West Bank lots for their football contract. It's also very easy to park in that area and hop the light rail by CSOM - much easier than trying to find a spot near the stadium.

Anyone been to LaCrosse? I would love to have something like that. One can dream.

Every been there on a Sunday? All but a few places closed for the entire day. Must be a laugh riot to head downtown to watch an NFL game on a Sunday in the fall.

Lacrosse has a decent bar strip, Iowa's is much better so is Nebraska's. Minnesota's could be better but it's not so terrible. Northwestern is the worst I've visited, Maryland's also not good.

For the crowd sizes we have Stub and Herb's and Blarney's are pretty decent pregame spots. I hate the corporate feel of BWW but location wise and size wise they are able to easily handle serving the entire pregame crowd quickly and efficiently and really really close to the stadium. Proximity means you can hang out there right up til game time and go. I can't think of another college stadium where they have a large lot/bar THAT close.

Every been there on a Sunday? All but a few places closed for the entire day. Must be a laugh riot to head downtown to watch an NFL game on a Sunday in the fall.

Lacrosse has a decent bar strip, Iowa's is much better so is Nebraska's. Minnesota's could be better but it's not so terrible. Northwestern is the worst I've visited, Maryland's also not good.

For the crowd sizes we have Stub and Herb's and Blarney's are pretty decent pregame spots. I hate the corporate feel of BWW but location wise and size wise they are able to easily handle serving the entire pregame crowd quickly and efficiently and really really close to the stadium. Proximity means you can hang out there right up til game time and go. I can't think of another college stadium where they have a large lot/bar THAT close.

Buffalo Wild Wings put out an NCAA bracket that was based on how close the basketball arena was to the nearest BWW location and MN won in the championship vs Wisconsin

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buffalo Wild Wings put out an NCAA bracket that was based on how close the basketball arena was to the nearest BWW location and MN won in the championship vs Wisconsin

this was posted several times some time ago

Shama chimes in:

When Badgers fans come to Minneapolis for the much anticipated Wisconsin-Minnesota football game November 30, some will head for the popular new Kollege Klub bar in Dinkytown. The KK Club opened earlier this year and is an expansion of the longtime KK venue in Madison.

Go Gophers!!

I mean - why in the world is there a Badger bar in Dinkytown. That's just offensive.

Apparently, consorting with the enemy, many who have transplanted, is a profitable business enough to take all the grief.

I mean - why in the world is there a Badger bar in Dinkytown. That's just offensive.

It's owned by people from Madison but there's absolutely nothing in the bar that would indicate it's a 'badger bar'.

FWIW, the Library is now located in La Crosse, WI. It feels almost identical to the old Library in dinkytown.

The build BWW is in existed long before TCF did. It was less prime real estate when they bought it I think....

The former owners of Station 19 lost their liquor license "in perpetuity" . For Badger fans that means forever. Not sure how many 21 jumpstreet undercover liquor buyers the MPD had on staff but they managed to rack up a substantial number of serving minors violations.

Not sure if anyone noticed this but the one blemish on the Penn State game day experience for me is that BWW which you would think would be a hot spot after the game had taken away everything. Not only no DJ, and no TV's but no Music playing at all outside. Basically cemented my decision after a beer to get out of dodge rather than hanging around campus which I usually do after good games. Should have gone pretty much anywhere else, sturbs and sallys both looked hoppin.

What did you have against the Library? $1 drinks friday and saturday nights , all you can eat free bacon on wednesdays, giant TVs everywhere to watch away games and other sporting events. Had some good times in there, plus I could tell my parents I was going to the library or I had been at the library when they asked what I did the night before.

How the hell did a bar offering free Bacon ever fail?

You had me at Bacon, then you added free! And all you can eat!

Honest question. Is Bullwinkle's still worth going to? I recall some nefarious activity there recently (last year?). I haven't been there in decades. I'd like to go back and check it out, unless I think I might get stabbed or something.
I used to love Bullwinkle's and I was there a few times probably two years ago. It was really empty. What kind of nefarious stuff happened?
I was also excited when the Viking bar on the west bank re opened. I went there five times or so, but they just couldn't attract much of a crowd and closed again.

Honest question. Is Bullwinkle's still worth going to? I recall some nefarious activity there recently (last year?). I haven't been there in decades. I'd like to go back and check it out, unless I think I might get stabbed or something.

I read an article that Bullwinkle's is pretty much done in a Mpls paper when I was home this past summer.

I used to work at The Cabooze in college. Wonder how it is doing and of course The Joint! I used to love when college kids would come to the Joint and try to hang with the Bikers!

I read an article that Bullwinkle's is pretty much done in a Mpls paper when I was home this past summer.

I used to work at The Cabooze in college. Wonder how it is doing and of course The Joint! I used to love when college kids would come to the Joint and try to hang with the Bikers!
I think those places are still open. Palmers is still going strong and better than ever.

I used to love Bullwinkle's and I was there a few times probably two years ago. It was really empty. What kind of nefarious stuff happened?
I was also excited when the Viking bar on the west bank re opened. I went there five times or so, but they just couldn't attract much of a crowd and closed again.

I went to Bullwinkle's prior to the Maryland game. It is indeed alive and well.

I can also confirm the nefarious activity. Great place to go if you're in to that sort of thing (which my group is). Wouldn't bring the kiddies there.

I went to Bullwinkle's prior to the Maryland game. It is indeed alive and well.

I can also confirm the nefarious activity. Great place to go if you're in to that sort of thing (which my group is). Wouldn't bring the kiddies there.
That is great to hear! I wonder if they still make a good Coney?

Regarding the nefarious activity at Bullwinkle's that has come up in a few posts, back in 2017 a guy got shot in their parking lot and in 2018 there was a separate fatal shooting at an unlicensed nightclub the Bullwinkle's owners were running next door in what was technically supposed to be a vacant space. There had also been trouble with police calls to the bar over fights and the bar owners not paying fines and taxes. The liquor license was in jeopardy at one point and it actually was closed down in the 2013-2014 range for a while before it reopened with new ownership. The place seems bad news.

I liked the old Sally's. In my 20s it was a great place to watch NFL games because it had Sunday Ticket when it was far from a given for bars and restaurants to have it, along with bar popcorn and drink specials. The parking lot beer garden it had for Gopher football during the first few years of TCF Bank Stadium was outstanding. That I truly miss. However, the layout of the old place was awful with all kinds of choke points when it got crowded on game days. The new place is a little better on that front and it's at least nice that it reopened, something I didn't expect after the old one was torn down.

The new place is a little better on that front and it's at least nice that it reopened, something I didn't expect after the old one was torn down.

They literally said at the time of demolition that a new Sally's would be part of the new building.

"Walton says demolition started on schedule this week at the 301 Walnut St. structure. Besides the student housing, a new and improved Sally’s will move into the first floor, part of 11,500 square feet of retail space in the project."

They literally said at the time of demolition that a new Sally's would be part of the new building.

"Walton says demolition started on schedule this week at the 301 Walnut St. structure. Besides the student housing, a new and improved Sally’s will move into the first floor, part of 11,500 square feet of retail space in the project."

Way to stick it to him! He expects us to believe he missed that when he was visiting finance-commerce.com in 2013??

They said Sally's would reopen, but I did not believe it, considering it lip service to people that would be upset over the old place closing. For the sake of comparison, O'Gara's closed in St. Paul with plans to reopen in the new residential and commercial building on the site of the old place, but now has said it's staying closed for good. I figured that would happen with Sally's. The place was gone for a long time by bar standards before returning and while that location was a demolition site, a hole in the ground, and then a construction site, I was honestly skeptical about it eventually opening again.

Way to stick it to him! He expects us to believe he missed that when he was visiting finance-commerce.com in 2013??
I remember it being common knowledge back at the time. Lots of speculation on what the new Sally's would be like. And I never read finance-commerce.com.

Top Bottom