Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    LOL you expected top 3 in the conference? What on earth made you think that was going to happen?
    Because that was a big reason behind hiring Fleck, his recruiting prowess.

Frost got to 4 in year two coming off their worst season in decades. Brohm to 5 in year 3. Fleck to 10 in year 3 from 7th in year 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

[QUOTE=caliGopher;1744209]Because that was a big reason behind hiring Fleck, his recruiting prowess.

Frost got to 4 in year two coming off their worst season in decades. Brohm to 5 in year 3. Fleck to 10 in year 3 from 7th in year 2.

Unfortunately not the same playing field when making comparisons. Kind of like hockey here in MN. Motzko is doing well here recruiting in his first two years as coach in comparison to another program that has been consistency behind for years. Wasn't that long ago that we were national champions and knocking on the door to get to the final four. Nebraska was good for a while and has some history that can't be overlooked despite doing it with thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    Because that was a big reason behind hiring Fleck, his recruiting prowess.

And he has improved recruiting. Anyone paying attention knew Fleck had recruited well by MAC standards, but should have had guarded optimism about how that would translate to the B1G. Brewster had a much greater reputation as a recruiter. Frost got Nebraska to 4? Sounds about standard for Nebraska. Brohm might have put together the best class Purdue has had since rankings were created. Good for him, but it's one year. He was out recruited by Fleck the other 2 years. Fleck from 7 to 10, yeah that's how recruiting goes, you don't just go up a little every year until your #1 and can't go any higher. Even Nick Saban would be hard pressed to finish top 3 here.

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    Frost got to 4 in year two coming off their worst season in decades. Brohm to 5 in year 3.
    Tim Brewster also did similar things when he got here.

Default The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

I donít care about rankings and trust PJ is improving recruiting based what I saw on the field last year.

In regards to rankings, it is absolutely hilarious the way people on here that do care have lowered their expectations on that topic and now justify the results we do get. We celebrate rankings in April now and explain all the reasons why Purdue should outrank us. Top in the West is now some unrealistic achievement that no one at MN could ever be expected to accomplish.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I donít care about rankings and trust PJ is improving recruiting based what I saw on the field last year.

In regards to rankings, it is absolutely hilarious the way people on here that do care have lowered their expectations on that topic and now justify the results we do get. We celebrate rankings in April now and explain all the reasons why Purdue should outrank us. Top in the West is now some unrealistic achievement that no one at MN could ever be expected to accomplish.

Considering we have never finished ahead of Nebraska it is a stretch to expect that, especially without a winning program. I think it's much more likely we win the West before we finish top in recruiting in the West.

Considering we have never finished ahead of Nebraska it is a stretch to expect that, especially without a winning program. I think it's much more likely we win the West before we finish top in recruiting in the West.
    No reason we can't beat Purdue or Indiana in recruiting.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    No reason we can't beat Purdue or Indiana in recruiting.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Right. We generally do. They both had historically great classes for their programs last year. Again it is one year.

And he has improved recruiting. Anyone paying attention knew Fleck had recruited well by MAC standards, but should have had guarded optimism about how that would translate to the B1G. Brewster had a much greater reputation as a recruiter. Frost got Nebraska to 4? Sounds about standard for Nebraska. Brohm might have put together the best class Purdue has had since rankings were created. Good for him, but it's one year. He was out recruited by Fleck the other 2 years. Fleck from 7 to 10, yeah that's how recruiting goes, you don't just go up a little every year until your #1 and can't go any higher. Even Nick Saban would be hard pressed to finish top 3 here.
    As Spoofin said, that was a huge selling point on this board back then...expecting top 25 or better classes. I was told I had low expectations (multiple times) for posting that consistently in the 35-45 range would be great. The general theme from Flecksters was tamp down the win expectations, crank up the recruiting expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Tim Brewster also did similar things when he got here.
    And introduced hot chili to "Gopher Nation."

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    And introduced hot chili to "Gopher Nation."
    He made chili so hot it would never freeze... even in a deep freeze.
    Who hates iowa?

Default The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

Right. We generally do. They both had historically great classes for their programs last year. Again it is one year.
    You may be right on both points, but it only reinforces my original post. The reduction in expectations and similar increase in justifications has been astonishing in quantity and frequency on this topic.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    You may be right on both points, but it only reinforces my original post. The reduction in expectations and similar increase in justifications has been astonishing in quantity and frequency on this topic.

My expectations were never as high as some people, maybe some others have reduced their expectations, mine have been met without me lowering them. It's not that difficult to be realistic with expectations.

My expectations were never as high as some people, maybe some others have reduced their expectations, mine have been met without me lowering them. It's not that difficult to be realistic with expectations.
    Sometimes being optimistic means you really want failure. Tough to follow all of this.

So, present company excluded, my point stands.

I think we've circled around to success on the field trumps recruiting. Funny thing.