The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

Recruiting rankings shouldn't matter, why our AD said they did when he fired Claeys was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in a presser. To his credit, he's consistent, doubles down on it every chance he gets. Coyle knows there's alot of passive aggressive types with long memories in this state

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sometimes being optimistic means you really want failure. Tough to follow all of this.

That has got to one of the most preposterous statements ever made on GH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has got to one of the most preposterous statements ever made on GH!

Not even close my friend- G4L takes that category to newer heights on a weekly basis

I think we've circled around to success on the field trumps recruiting. Funny thing.

Most of the rational fans never left this point. Recruiting rankings have value but the way some people obsess about them goes over the top. In the end it comes down to whether or not your are getting the players you need to get the program to the next level. Mason and Kill were unable to recruit the talent needed to make the team into a consistent contender.

Jury is still out on Fleck but the trend appears to be headed in the right direction no matter what the recruiting rankings may or may not say. I have said it many times before, I put way more stock in offers then I do in stars. If we are consistently getting players that other power 5 schools (and especially other BIG schools) are after, I like our chances of competing. Guys like Bateman and Faalele are examples of the kind of players we will need to find on a regular basis to help propel the program to levels that have not been seen around here in a long long time.

Most of the rational fans never left this point. Recruiting rankings have value but the way some people obsess about them goes over the top. In the end it comes down to whether or not your are getting the players you need to get the program to the next level. Mason and Kill were unable to recruit the talent needed to make the team into a consistent contender.

Jury is still out on Fleck but the trend appears to be headed in the right direction no matter what the recruiting rankings may or may not say. I have said it many times before, I put way more stock in offers then I do in stars. If we are consistently getting players that other power 5 schools (and especially other BIG schools) are after, I like our chances of competing. Guys like Bateman and Faalele are examples of the kind of players we will need to find on a regular basis to help propel the program to levels that have not been seen around here in a long long time.

This is MN, so without winning consistently at an elevated level compared to recent history, Fleck will be extremely challenged to recruit at a higher level. He needs a big 2019 season. on the field.

This is MN, so without winning consistently at an elevated level compared to recent history, Fleck will be extremely challenged to recruit at a higher level. He needs a big 2019 season. on the field.

I still think this really boils down to what you view as a higher level. If your standard is top 20 class or bust then no Minnesota coach will ever be able to consistently live up to that kind of recruiting.

To me, recruiting at a higher level means bringing in the recruits necessary to compete for the West title on a yearly basis. Look at the sustained level of success that Wisconsin has had without great recruiting class rankings. It is about finding the right players and mixing in the difference makers. Mason/Kill could find the guys that fit their mold but struggled to get enough of the elite players to get to that next level.

Way too much focus is put on the class ranking when there is so much more too it. Don't get me wrong, the teams that bring in those really highly rated classes year in and year out tend to be the top teams in college football but the reality is that it will be very difficult for us to ever consistently compete with those teams in recruiting. With the right players though we can still find a way to compete with those teams on the field, maybe not on a year in year out basis but at least on a somewhat regular basis. Bottom line is that if Wisconsin can do it there is no reason why we can't with the right coach and support from the administration.

I still think this really boils down to what you view as a higher level. If your standard is top 20 class or bust then no Minnesota coach will ever be able to consistently live up to that kind of recruiting.

To me, recruiting at a higher level means bringing in the recruits necessary to compete for the West title on a yearly basis. Look at the sustained level of success that Wisconsin has had without great recruiting class rankings. It is about finding the right players and mixing in the difference makers. Mason/Kill could find the guys that fit their mold but struggled to get enough of the elite players to get to that next level.

Way too much focus is put on the class ranking when there is so much more too it. Don't get me wrong, the teams that bring in those really highly rated classes year in and year out tend to be the top teams in college football but the reality is that it will be very difficult for us to ever consistently compete with those teams in recruiting. With the right players though we can still find a way to compete with those teams on the field, maybe not on a year in year out basis but at least on a somewhat regular basis. Bottom line is that if Wisconsin can do it there is no reason why we can't with the right coach and support from the administration.

35-45 rank range. That is where Bucky has been consistently for 20+ years. They also maintained a high level of wins. Would not have had they won less.

35-45 rank range. That is where Bucky has been consistently for 20+ years. They also maintained a high level of wins. Would not have had they won less.

I agree.

It's a chicken/egg situation. Better recruiting helps winning. Winning helps recruiting. Success in one area breeds success in other areas.

That's why we need to set our expectations high. I believe Fleck and his staff have high expectations indeed, and that's a good and necessary part of the success formula.

I think that is a realistic range for us to be in most years.

Top Bottom