The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

He's gone to Texas. So sad...

Or not really. You pick.

He's gone to Texas. So sad...

Or not really. You pick.

JUCO players are always a crap shoot. If he is reclassifying to 2019 it makes sense for him to look elsewhere because at least for 1 more year the depth at LB looks pretty solid so there would not be much playing time to be had here at that position in the upcoming season.

JUCO players are always a crap shoot. If he is reclassifying to 2019 it makes sense for him to look elsewhere because at least for 1 more year the depth at LB looks pretty solid so there would not be much playing time to be had here at that position in the upcoming season.

Like I said before, stay away the JUCO's.

No doubt you've noticed John, but there is little love for where the recruits are ranked. As long as they are not a top 25 class the criticism continues. However, the football team is getting top 25 rankings for the 2019 season. Keep the faith brother, you are on the right side of history. By the way, Spoofin is very excited about the fall season.

43 is the ranking for 2019. Early on we were in the top 25, but not when they stopped adjusting the rankings. 43.

Our recruiting class was 10th in the Big Ten for 2019. Up from seventh the year before. So in the twi full years PJ Fleck has had to recruit we back slid in year two.

We’ve been top 25 the past two years in June, at least one year was top 15. We’ve not finished recruiting near the top 25.

The bigger disappointment is while many have claimed the 2019 class is as good as 2018, there were zero 4* recruits (3 in 2018) and we were behind only Nebraska in the west last year. This year? it ranks behind Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Nebraska.

PJ Fleck was brought in to improve recruiting. He’s done better, but overall marginally so and took a step back when the team looked like it was improving in the field at the end of the season, went to a bowl and had more to sell.

So yeah, I’m not impressed with his recruiting in February as he’d like us to be with the classes in June. I guess I’m looking at the data and seeing that the numbers don’t add up to we’re changing the game in recruiting significantly even with a higher budget, new facilities, and an “excellent recruiter” as the head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its very early. Look at what happened with the Gopher Basketball team for 2019. Turned out pretty good after much bashing etc. I trust Fleck and the boys to get it done. Winning this fall will help as we all know.

43 is the ranking for 2019. Early on we were in the top 25, but not when they stopped adjusting the rankings. 43.

Our recruiting class was 10th in the Big Ten for 2019. Up from seventh the year before. So in the twi full years PJ Fleck has had to recruit we back slid in year two.

We’ve been top 25 the past two years in June, at least one year was top 15. We’ve not finished recruiting near the top 25.

The bigger disappointment is while many have claimed the 2019 class is as good as 2018, there were zero 4* recruits (3 in 2018) and we were behind only Nebraska in the west last year. This year? it ranks behind Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Nebraska.

PJ Fleck was brought in to improve recruiting. He’s done better, but overall marginally so and took a step back when the team looked like it was improving in the field at the end of the season, went to a bowl and had more to sell.

So yeah, I’m not impressed with his recruiting in February as he’d like us to be with the classes in June. I guess I’m looking at the data and seeing that the numbers don’t add up to we’re changing the game in recruiting significantly even with a higher budget, new facilities, and an “excellent recruiter” as the head coach.

Highest Ranked Back to Back classes in School History. What more do you need?

Highest Ranked Back to Back classes in School History. What more do you need?

Out recruit our competition? I was backed off of expecting top 3 in the conference. All we need to do is out recruit the west.......or so I was a told.

It was only a matter of time before Juwan Mitchell decommits. He always had an eye for greener pastures. Minnesota IMHO was his insurance policy.

On another matter, Losing Bryce Benhart to division foe Nebraska hurts. Did PJ get a reputation in Lakeville as being goofy with his own unique lexicons?

Post Mitch Leidner and his brother, Lakeville players go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Losing Bryce Benhart to division foe Nebraska hurts. Did PJ get a reputation in Lakeville as being goofy with his own unique lexicons?

For sure.

Mitch Leidners experience under kill and Claeys has ruined flecks chances

The bigger disappointment is while many have claimed the 2019 class is as good as 2018, there were zero 4* recruits
(3 in 2018) and we were behind only Nebraska in the west last year. This year? it ranks behind Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Nebraska.

Nubin was a 4 star on 247 and rivals. Clark on rivals. Cheney, Schad, and Adim-Madumere on ESPN.

My $0.02 is that this will be a sneaky good class.

Out recruit our competition? I was backed off of expecting top 3 in the conference. All we need to do is out recruit the west.......or so I was a told.

LOL you expected top 3 in the conference? What on earth made you think that was going to happen?

It was only a matter of time before Juwan Mitchell decommits. He always had an eye for greener pastures. Minnesota IMHO was his insurance policy.

On another matter, Losing Bryce Benhart to division foe Nebraska hurts. Did PJ get a reputation in Lakeville as being goofy with his own unique lexicons?

Since Leidner the Gophers got Nathan Boe from Lakeville, other than him and Benhart there hasn't been anyone from Lakeville that the gophers offered as far as I know.

LOL you expected top 3 in the conference? What on earth made you think that was going to happen?

You should go back and read threads on GH from around the time PJ was hired. Your family may need earplugs from all the LOLing.

Because that was a big reason behind hiring Fleck, his recruiting prowess.

Frost got to 4 in year two coming off their worst season in decades. Brohm to 5 in year 3. Fleck to 10 in year 3 from 7th in year 2.

Frost got to 4 in year two coming off their worst season in decades. Brohm to 5 in year 3. Fleck to 10 in year 3 from 7th in year 2.

Unfortunately not the same playing field when making comparisons. Kind of like hockey here in MN. Motzko is doing well here recruiting in his first two years as coach in comparison to another program that has been consistency behind for years. Wasn't that long ago that we were national champions and knocking on the door to get to the final four. Nebraska was good for a while and has some history that can't be overlooked despite doing it with thugs.

And he has improved recruiting. Anyone paying attention knew Fleck had recruited well by MAC standards, but should have had guarded optimism about how that would translate to the B1G. Brewster had a much greater reputation as a recruiter. Frost got Nebraska to 4? Sounds about standard for Nebraska. Brohm might have put together the best class Purdue has had since rankings were created. Good for him, but it's one year. He was out recruited by Fleck the other 2 years. Fleck from 7 to 10, yeah that's how recruiting goes, you don't just go up a little every year until your #1 and can't go any higher. Even Nick Saban would be hard pressed to finish top 3 here.

I don’t care about rankings and trust PJ is improving recruiting based what I saw on the field last year.

In regards to rankings, it is absolutely hilarious the way people on here that do care have lowered their expectations on that topic and now justify the results we do get. We celebrate rankings in April now and explain all the reasons why Purdue should outrank us. Top in the West is now some unrealistic achievement that no one at MN could ever be expected to accomplish.

I don’t care about rankings and trust PJ is improving recruiting based what I saw on the field last year.

In regards to rankings, it is absolutely hilarious the way people on here that do care have lowered their expectations on that topic and now justify the results we do get. We celebrate rankings in April now and explain all the reasons why Purdue should outrank us. Top in the West is now some unrealistic achievement that no one at MN could ever be expected to accomplish.

Considering we have never finished ahead of Nebraska it is a stretch to expect that, especially without a winning program. I think it's much more likely we win the West before we finish top in recruiting in the West.

Considering we have never finished ahead of Nebraska it is a stretch to expect that, especially without a winning program. I think it's much more likely we win the West before we finish top in recruiting in the West.
No reason we can't beat Purdue or Indiana in recruiting.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No reason we can't beat Purdue or Indiana in recruiting.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Right. We generally do. They both had historically great classes for their programs last year. Again it is one year.

And he has improved recruiting. Anyone paying attention knew Fleck had recruited well by MAC standards, but should have had guarded optimism about how that would translate to the B1G. Brewster had a much greater reputation as a recruiter. Frost got Nebraska to 4? Sounds about standard for Nebraska. Brohm might have put together the best class Purdue has had since rankings were created. Good for him, but it's one year. He was out recruited by Fleck the other 2 years. Fleck from 7 to 10, yeah that's how recruiting goes, you don't just go up a little every year until your #1 and can't go any higher. Even Nick Saban would be hard pressed to finish top 3 here.

As Spoofin said, that was a huge selling point on this board back then...expecting top 25 or better classes. I was told I had low expectations (multiple times) for posting that consistently in the 35-45 range would be great. The general theme from Flecksters was tamp down the win expectations, crank up the recruiting expectations.

Right. We generally do. They both had historically great classes for their programs last year. Again it is one year.

You may be right on both points, but it only reinforces my original post. The reduction in expectations and similar increase in justifications has been astonishing in quantity and frequency on this topic.

You may be right on both points, but it only reinforces my original post. The reduction in expectations and similar increase in justifications has been astonishing in quantity and frequency on this topic.

My expectations were never as high as some people, maybe some others have reduced their expectations, mine have been met without me lowering them. It's not that difficult to be realistic with expectations.

My expectations were never as high as some people, maybe some others have reduced their expectations, mine have been met without me lowering them. It's not that difficult to be realistic with expectations.

Sometimes being optimistic means you really want failure. Tough to follow all of this.

So, present company excluded, my point stands.

I think we've circled around to success on the field trumps recruiting. Funny thing.

Top Bottom