The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

I'm surprised we're hitting the transfer portal for 2020.
PJ must have changed his mind on this some.

Are JUCOs part of the transfer portal? What is PJ's stance on this? Seems like he's taken several transfers and JUCOs so far. This kids should be an instant contributor at worst and should have a good shot at a starting role. Hopefully follows the path of Wilson and Campbell.

NJ.com: Former Rutgers LB commit Juwan Mitchell pledges to new Big Ten team

It looks like Juwan Mitchell will get his chance to play Power 5 football, following a long post-graduate football ride.

The 6-1, 228-pounder took to Twitter Friday, making his pledge to the Minnesota Golden Gophers public.

Before the Gophers, there was Rutgers, which began recruiting Mitchell in October -- around the time NJ.com released a list of top junior college players from New Jersey.

He’d go on to become a target for the Scarlet Knights.

Mitchell was offered a scholarship by Rutgers head coach Chris Ash during his exit interview, following an official visit in November. He’d commit before leaving campus that day.

He’d remain committed until the early signing period, when he returned to Butler instead of fulfill requirements to sign to the school.

And, now he’s a Golden Gopher, following a two-day unofficial visit to the University of Minnesota.

Mitchell is the sixth member of Minnesota’s 2020 class, ranked 22nd in the country by 247Sports.com. He had 55 tackles and two sacks at Butler in 2018.

Mitchell is on track to graduate in December and enroll at Minnesota in January of 2020.

Despite jumping from New Milford to Fort Scott, Butler, Rutgers and now Minnesota, Mitchell will have two years of on-field eligibility remaining once he arrives in Minneapolis to compete.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/03/...n-mitchell-pledges-to-new-big-ten-school.html

Go Gophers!!

Why doesn't he just classify into 2019 and practice/play for the Gophers next year?

What's the reason for staying at JUCO next year if the Gophers already want him and think he can be accepted into school here? To earn a degree from Butler CC that will become irrelevant as soon as he hopefully graduates from the U? There's plenty of time to get him over to the U even in time for summer classes. 'Splain it to me, please.

Kids enter Junior college as either a qualifier (meets NCAA D1 eligibility requirements) or non-qualifier (doesn’t meet NCAA D1 eligibility requirements.

Qualifiers are eligible to transfer at any time (usually after the 1st or 2nd quarter ends of their freshmen season) and will have 4 years to play 3.

Non-qualifiers have to graduate with their associate degree and will have 3 years to play 2. The smart move for juco players is to attend summer school so they can graduate in Dec of their sophomore year (1 1/2 years) and be enrolled and eligible for spring practice at the new school going into the summer (and fall practice) of what will be their junior season. If the don’t do the latter (graduate early) they aren’t eligible until fall ball at their new school.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s hope JuJu turns out better than JewJew did.

Thanks for the bad memory. LOL.

As I remember, he played quite well as a Defensive End (?), but decided to hang up his cleats to be a party promoter. I think he ended up being "JewJew Party". Wise career choice.

Thanks for the bad memory. LOL.

As I remember, he played quite well as a Defensive End (?), but decided to hang up his cleats to be a party promoter. I think he ended up being "JewJew Party". Wise career choice.

He was a DT (OJ Smith type). He was talented and had a good junior year. Arguably, could have had an NFL chance if he had another good season. But he went the JewJew Party route instead. He got into a lot of fights with Walker Ashley out at the clubs in Mpls. It was actually pretty sad.

#Gophers LB commit Juwan Mitchell will visit Arkansas this weekend

Committed to Rutgers and de-committed to commit to us. Not a surprise he might change his mind.

I wouldn't read too much into the juco player ratings at this point, there are only 11 guys that are rated on 247.

JUCO ratings are weird.

One year you could get the top JUCO guy at a position and ... you never hear from them again.

Another year a top dude attracts blue blood attention.... talent level and the pool varies wildly there.

JUCO ratings are weird.

One year you could get the top JUCO guy at a position and ... you never hear from them again.

Another year a top dude attracts blue blood attention.... talent level and the pool varies wildly there.

They now have him ranked 16 out of 25 rated players. Number 1 of 2 rated linebackers.

If he leaves will we lose our top 25 class?

They now have him ranked 16 out of 25 rated players. Number 1 of 2 rated linebackers.

Yeah but how many of those players above him are fictional, planted by trolls? Once that pans out, he could be top 10.

Yeah but how many of those players above him are fictional, planted by trolls? Once that pans out, he could be top 10.

MellowSociableIrishsetter.gif

Mitchell added an offer from Texas today. Feels like he’s a short timer.

If he leaves will we lose our top 25 class?

He’s currently our 2nd lowest rated recruit. I’m sure many will be happy to see our average ranking improve. /s

He’s currently our 2nd lowest rated recruit. I’m sure many will be happy to see our average ranking improve. /s

No doubt you've noticed John, but there is little love for where the recruits are ranked. As long as they are not a top 25 class the criticism continues. However, the football team is getting top 25 rankings for the 2019 season. Keep the faith brother, you are on the right side of history. By the way, Spoofin is very excited about the fall season.

No doubt you've noticed John, but there is little love for where the recruits are ranked. As long as they are not a top 25 class the criticism continues. However, the football team is getting top 25 rankings for the 2019 season. Keep the faith brother, you are on the right side of history. By the way, Spoofin is very excited about the fall season.

I think you have completely missed where the criticism talk about recruiting on this site has focused.

I am. Thanks for noticing. Few seem to.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Juwan tweets from his official visit at Arkansas:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Arkansas offered:

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom