Tyrone Carter recruiting MN kids for...Nebraska?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Omaha World-Herald: Tyrone Carter brings Jalen Suggs and Kaden Johnson, along with "several other MN prospects" to Husker football practice (giving fraternal hugs to two NE coaches). He has a company called "Tyrone Carter Elite Training Schools." Just passing through?

That was my first thought when I read something similar on twitter. From a distance, TC appears to be immature and disillusioned with his own status creating petty and puerile issues with Fleck, the gophers program and others. From the perspective of a Gophers fan, one can be disappointed and find it hard for TC go against his alma mater. But in the end, I would say that TC is looking out for TC. Ultimately, I see TC out to promote himself, his brand and his people.

I was thinking last weekend while watching Minnehaha AAU play in the MSHSL boys basketball tourney that it would be disappointing if gopher football loses out on all of these kids (Suggs, Johnson, McDonald) but not surprising. I can’t quite figure out why, but I know better than to blame TC or criticize Fleck’s recruiting. Each kid has their own story, and Johnson sounds like the only one that Fleck may have a shot at landing. But, I will also add, one should never count out Fleck on the recruiting trail!

I love TC22. I won’t judge him for what he is choosing to do now. He is an all-time great Gopher. If there is some issue between him and PJ I will choose to not automatically blame Carter for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no TC fan, but isn't he kinda just doing what's best for these kids? Should he only bring the kids to the U? If these kids trust him I think he's doing the right thing by showing them different schools as well. If/when Suggs and Johnson go elsewhere it won't be because TC took them on an unofficial visit once.

TC has said/done some weird stuff, but I guess if he is running a business getting recruits ready to play college football, then visiting schools is probably part of that.

If the Gophers have an outstanding season this fall that certainly won't hurt their chances of landing any/all of those guys despite what Tyrone Carter says.

I love TC22. I won’t judge him for what he is choosing to do now. He is an all-time great Gopher. If there is some issue between him and PJ I will choose to not automatically blame Carter for that.

Does that go the other way too?

TC has zero credibility in my book. He is just upset that he can’t hook on as an assistant coach with the Gophers. He’s hoping Neb. will take the bait and hire him. He ought be home tending to his 5 kids.

I'm no TC fan, but isn't he kinda just doing what's best for these kids? Should he only bring the kids to the U? If these kids trust him I think he's doing the right thing by showing them different schools as well. If/when Suggs and Johnson go elsewhere it won't be because TC took them on an unofficial visit once.

That is really a naive way of looking at it. Training and preparing athletes for college sports has nothing to do with building contacts at specific colleges. I can see helping an “under the radar” player get noticed by colleges, but these guys are know and recruited by all the major schools. Taking them on a trip to a school is on another level.

It sounds like TC wants to be an influencer. One of those “handlers” that gain power and wealth by delivering elite players to a school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is really a naive way of looking at it. Training and preparing athletes for college sports has nothing to do with building contacts at specific colleges. I can see helping an “under the radar” player get noticed by colleges, but these guys are know and recruited by all the major schools. Taking them on a trip to a school is on another level.

It sounds like TC wants to be an influencer. One of those “handlers” that gain power and wealth by delivering elite players to a school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Tyrone Carter brings Jalen Suggs and Kaden Johnson, along with "several other MN prospects" to Husker football practice." Sounds like he took a lot of kids to Nebraska. I have zero issue with this. If he's specifically pushing kids to other schools I'd agree with you, but he's not. He also took them to ISU last weekend, so just taking kids on some visits just isn't going to get me upset at TC. Objectively if he was pushing every kid to Minnesota it'd be great for us, but ultimately I would view that as not in the best interest of the kids he's coaching/training

These kids aren't going to go where Carter wants them to go. They are going to go where their family thinks it's the best fit and most will have their HS coach involved in the decision. Lots goes into the decision. I think TC is providing a nice service driving them around. Some of these same kids were at tOSU as well. Spring breaks are in full swing. The parent can save the work vacation for the official visit if TC is driving them around.

Oh Spoofin you are a Minnesota treasure. It should not surprise me that you love him... TC’s social media presence and your Gopherhole presence are cast in the same mold.

His attitude towards the school has been capricious. He didn't really bother to explain himself with his weird tweets making it seems like he's just trying to whip up drama without talking about specifics. The explanations for some of the "problems" between him and the school or whomever seemed kinda jr. high level drama stuff. I don't know what to think about anything the dude does.

I'm not sure why Fleck wouldn't want to have him as part of the football team. I must be missing something.

I'm not sure why Fleck wouldn't want to have him as part of the football team. I must be missing something.

If you don't feed my ego by involving me more I'm gonna be a jerk!!!!

Hey why don't you involve me....?

If you have been following him on social media the past 8 years or so you would see that he tried to getting a coaching position with Kill's staff. Didn't get one and didn't have any coaching experience, but was bitter. Then he tweeted out the identity of the woman involved with the football sex scandal in 2016 to shame her. He's been bitter about Fleck not giving him a position. I've lost all respect I had for him as a player. He's crazy like scarf guy but younger.

FWIW he had run ins with Kill in the past as well. Even if PJ wanted to hire him I doubt he'd be able to because TC was very vocal supporter of players during the boycott thing. Right or Wrong about that he went wayyyy to far when he released the name of the victim in that case on twitter.

Personally, I don't want him on the staff as I view him as unstable/lose cannon, take my ball and go home when I don't get my way type. Combine that with zero collegiate coaching experience and it'd be a pretty easy no for me.

High end recruits in big time sports always have these types of “handlers” — middle-men who seek out the highest bribes from coaches/schools to get the recruit to commit there. Payments to the recruit, payments to their families, etc.

LSU b-ball coach got caught red handed admitting it ... you’re glib if you don’t think that it goes on and hasn’t been going on for a long time.

You're all nuts. TC runs a training organization that trains kids and does 7 on 7. You're only whining about this because you saw some names you know even though he probably took a dozen other kids with him. These are almost all city kids who are getting to go see a B1G school. It's a cool experience. And for the kids that are actually D1 prospects its a great chance to see a school. In his role as a trainer/mentor for those kids it's absolutely a positive thing. Truth is ya'll don't care anything about these kids other than what they can do for your favorite university. That's fine. But to bash TC for providing experience and opportunities for these kids simply because they don't benefit you is pretty low. I don't like WI but my son's trainer got him an opportunity to go to a WI basketball practice a month ago. I took him because it's a great experience for an 8th grader to watch a college practice and see what a B1G facility looks like. If you care more about the people than where they go to college this isn't even a question

You're all nuts. TC runs a training organization that trains kids and does 7 on 7. You're only whining about this because you saw some names you know even though he probably took a dozen other kids with him. These are almost all city kids who are getting to go see a B1G school. It's a cool experience. And for the kids that are actually D1 prospects its a great chance to see a school. In his role as a trainer/mentor for those kids it's absolutely a positive thing. Truth is ya'll don't care anything about these kids other than what they can do for your favorite university. That's fine. But to bash TC for providing experience and opportunities for these kids simply because they don't benefit you is pretty low. I don't like WI but my son's trainer got him an opportunity to go to a WI basketball practice a month ago. I took him because it's a great experience for an 8th grader to watch a college practice and see what a B1G facility looks like. If you care more about the people than where they go to college this isn't even a question

This.

I forgot, this is an online discussion board where everything is to the extreme. Choose your side, love TC or hate TC.

I forgot, this is an online discussion board where everything is to the extreme. Choose your side, love TC or hate TC.

+1. Yep.

It actually appears that most of the posters don't seem to mind this. There is no indication that he is doing anything to discourage kids from the U either. Seems fine to me.

Agreed. How many schools have former players and coaches wind up actually competing on the field against them? All of them. TC's just running a business and trying to give some kids opportunities. Nebraska wasn't even a rival when he played.

Besides, I was fortunate enough to take several visits to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln as a kid and run around on the field and stuff. They were favorite memories of my childhood, and I still wound up all Gopher :)

I also think that some people just need to accept that some kids (quite a few of them) want to get away when they go to college, so going to the home state school is never really an option in the first place, regardless of the status of the home state school.

I also think that some people just need to accept that some kids (quite a few of them) want to get away when they go to college, so going to the home state school is never really an option in the first place, regardless of the status of the home state school.

Exactly. It's a choice of the place you've known all your life, or someplace new and different (and away from your parents....)

A kid who is really close to his family and HS friends may want to stay close to home. But, another kid may just want to get away, and not have Mom and Dad too close as he goes to college and starts having more "adult" fun.

I don't think this is a case of "bleep the Gophers." I suspect it's more a case of Carter trying to up his profile in the recruiting world, and further his business. If he shows he can get kids ready for major-college programs, he can attract more high-profile clients.

If you have been following him on social media the past 8 years or so you would see that he tried to getting a coaching position with Kill's staff. Didn't get one and didn't have any coaching experience, but was bitter. Then he tweeted out the identity of the woman involved with the football sex scandal in 2016 to shame her. He's been bitter about Fleck not giving him a position. I've lost all respect I had for him as a player. He's crazy like scarf guy but younger.

Besides, I'd hate to see the Gophers forfeit a game because their hard work isn't appreciated...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...game-addresses-teams-about-life-fball-(video)

But yes, besides that, every former Gopher great should automatically be handed a coaching position regardless of experience, qualifications, etc. /s

Doesn't mean he maybe couldn't have been a good coach, but when you just show up and essentially demand a spot without any experience...

My only issue with TC bringing kids to other schools is IF (I have no reason to believe he is) he were steering kids specifically away from the U of MN. Then I'd be mighty disappointed in him, though it's his right to do so.

Having trouble with the last part. Would you say that’s true for high school players in Alabama, playing for the Tide or Auburn? Or SC players for Clemson? Not so sure ...

Top Bottom