Tyrone Carter recruiting MN kids for...Nebraska?

Having trouble with the last part. Would you say that’s true for high school players in Alabama, playing for the Tide or Auburn? Or SC players for Clemson? Not so sure ...

It's absolutely true.

Some kids want to go away for school.

The two highest ranked player in Alabama last year went to Georgia. Of the top 10 players from Bama last year, 2 went to Georiga (the top 2), 2 went to Auburn, 2 went to Florida, 1 went to Miami and three went to Bama. They all had Alabama offers.

In 2018, Alabama 1 out of their top top 10 in state. They all had Bama offers.

It's absolutely true.

The two highest ranked player in Alabama last year went to Georgia. Of the top 10 players from Bama last year, 2 went to Georiga (the top 2), 2 went to Auburn, 2 went to Florida, 1 went to Miami and three went to Bama. They all had Alabama offers.

Yes, and on top of that the U is right in the middle of the center of population. That helps with recruiting outstate kids and kids from other states, but local kids from the TC might want to go at least a few hours from home. I went to Minnesota but I'm not from there.

I think people are rolling up their view of TC taking kids to a university and their view of TC as a person together as one. There isn't a problem with him taking kids to see a university. Like oleboy said that is probably actually good for the kids as long as he isn't steering them any direction. There is a problem with how he communicates with others and handles himself though. Doesn't mean he can't do good things for kids.

The way I look at it as I just wouldn't trust the guy after the absolutely absurd comments he has made repeatedly.

Last edited:

It's absolutely true.

Wow! That's actually pretty ridiculous considering Alabama is Alabama. Thanks for the research, very interesting stuff!

I love TC22. I won’t judge him for what he is choosing to do now. He is an all-time great Gopher. If there is some issue between him and PJ I will choose to not automatically blame Carter for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I no longer love him. He is not helpful to the program. I will judge him.

You're all nuts. TC runs a training organization that trains kids and does 7 on 7. You're only whining about this because you saw some names you know even though he probably took a dozen other kids with him. These are almost all city kids who are getting to go see a B1G school. It's a cool experience. And for the kids that are actually D1 prospects its a great chance to see a school. In his role as a trainer/mentor for those kids it's absolutely a positive thing. Truth is ya'll don't care anything about these kids other than what they can do for your favorite university. That's fine. But to bash TC for providing experience and opportunities for these kids simply because they don't benefit you is pretty low. I don't like WI but my son's trainer got him an opportunity to go to a WI basketball practice a month ago. I took him because it's a great experience for an 8th grader to watch a college practice and see what a B1G facility looks like. If you care more about the people than where they go to college this isn't even a question

Not true. The question is what benefit is TC expecting out of bringing these kids to the universities?

There are many people that are working to help kids learn and grow, but there are also way too many that are exploiting their influence with young players. It seems to be more prevalent in basketball, but there is a lot more of money to be made by “steering” players in certain directions.

I have no idea what TC’s motives are, but he has shown some signs of letting his self interest take the lead on some other matters. To me, it just rang some alarm bells when a trainer is transporting kids around the country to visit specific college programs. Wouldn’t it be more convenient, and cost effective to visit a “college program” that is local. This has nothing to do with where I want some kid to go to school. I don’t even know who most of the kids are or if the U is even interested in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not true. The question is what benefit is TC expecting out of bringing these kids to the universities?

There are many people that are working to help kids learn and grow, but there are also way too many that are exploiting their influence with young players. It seems to be more prevalent in basketball, but there is a lot more of money to be made by “steering” players in certain directions.

I have no idea what TC’s motives are, but he has shown some signs of letting his self interest take the lead on some other matters. To me, it just rang some alarm bells when a trainer is transporting kids around the country to visit specific college programs. Wouldn’t it be more convenient, and cost effective to visit a “college program” that is local. This has nothing to do with where I want some kid to go to school. I don’t even know who most of the kids are or if the U is even interested in them.

Sounds like you arent familiar with how the training/ 7 on 7 culture operates. These programs train kids then travel regionally often to compete in camps and tournaments. They take kids to visit schools if they have those connections. Its part of the perks for the kids and a draw to get talented kids in the program. I also think youre making a ton of assumptions. And even if theyre right who cares? Hes running a program and the kids in it are there because they want to be. Its kind of dumb that we’re even having this convo as if because TC went to MN he should only take kids to the U even though he probably has connections all over the place

Has TC always been this way as to his behavior? Or did he slowly change after his time was up at the U?

It’s just business. Every NFL player/fan understands there is no loyalty in professional sports.

It’s fair to wonder given some of the things we’ve seen and heard about whether TC should be mentoring kids but as a player he obviously has some things to share with aspiring college and pro prospects. Given his pedigree as a professional I’d guess there are factors we’re not aware of preventing him from climbing the coaching ladder under now two regimes at the U, or elsewhere. Some guys are best as captains of their own ship and that’s the only way it can be or is going to be.

I don't love or hate TC. To me this is a non-story.

I just wanted to post in this thread because I haven't posted anything lately.

Do you have a post per day quota?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

We could use a preseason QB poll. Maybe pre and post spring game. I really enjoyed the post-game coaching polls last season with the ” ! Caution ! Your vote is public” bit and the chastisement for anything less than an A by somebody after getting Deliveranced.

We could use a preseason QB poll. Maybe pre and post spring game. I really enjoyed the post-game coaching polls last season with the ” ! Caution ! Your vote is public” bit and the chastisement for anything less than an A by somebody after getting Deliveranced.

I don't think I ever chastised anyone for their votes. (or at least not very often).
Others may have.
I was simply facilitating the polls to engage discussion.

Last season the starting QB poll was more relevant.
This year I don't think it's as necessary.

But if you disagree, I can post a poll asking if I should post a QB poll.

I didn’t mean you. Sorry.

I actually really enjoy your posts and the polls, as unscientific as they may be.

I think a poll predicting the starting QB would be very relevant and appropriate. What am I missing?

I don't think I ever chastised anyone for their votes. (or at least not very often).
Others may have.
I was simply facilitating the polls to engage discussion.

Last season the starting QB poll was more relevant.
This year I don't think it's as necessary.

But if you disagree, I can post a poll asking if I should post a QB poll.

Perhaps your best idea!

I don't love or hate TC, but I am often embarrassed for him based on many of his tweets over the last several years.

He sure was a hell of a defensive back for the Gophers though.

I ran into Mr. Carter several years ago when it appeared he had a disagreement with the U of M athletic dept. and in particular the football team. At that time I advised him, it would be wised not to "burn bridges" with a former team that gave him a chance to show what he could do and earn a shot at the NFL. It looks to me like he didn't take my advice. Whenever his name pops up in a article, I generally disregard and did after reading the headlines of this thread. Just another glory seeker to me, like another former administrative official of the team.

Last edited:

Sounds like you arent familiar with how the training/ 7 on 7 culture operates. These programs train kids then travel regionally often to compete in camps and tournaments. They take kids to visit schools if they have those connections. Its part of the perks for the kids and a draw to get talented kids in the program. I also think youre making a ton of assumptions. And even if theyre right who cares? Hes running a program and the kids in it are there because they want to be. Its kind of dumb that we’re even having this convo as if because TC went to MN he should only take kids to the U even though he probably has connections all over the place

You are right, I am not familiar with the 7 on 7 programs. I thought it was a typical local trainer type system. I apologize for making some wrong conclusions.

I ran into Mr. Carter several years ago when it appeared he had a disagreement with the U of M athletic dept. and in particular the football team. At that time I advised him, it would be wised not to "burn bridges" with a former team that gave him a chance to show what he could do and earn a shot at the NFL. It looks to me like he didn't take my advice. Whenever his name pops up in a article, I generally disregard and did after reading the headlines of this thread. Just another glory seeker to me, <b>like another former administrative official of the team.</b>

TC22 was an admin official of the team?

Omaha World-Herald: Tyrone Carter brings Jalen Suggs and Kaden Johnson, along with "several other MN prospects" to Husker football practice (giving fraternal hugs to two NE coaches). He has a company called "Tyrone Carter Elite Training Schools." Just passing through?

if he paid is it a recruiting violation?

I’m confident PJ will win big here whether we get Minnesota Kids or not.. This isn’t Basketball this state produces very little talent. would we like to close the borders sure but we have a staff that can recruit the Midwest and South well. I’m genuinely not concerned

You are right, I am not familiar with the 7 on 7 programs. I thought it was a typical local trainer type system. I apologize for making some wrong conclusions.

All good. My son is a QB/WR/DB in 8th grade. He's pretty good. There's a local program that contacted me to get him on the team/in the program. On their website here's their pitch:
BOOM Football is the nation's most exclusive football organization for year round development, competition, & exposure.

-300+ D1 Alumni

-50+ NFL Alumni

- 6 Time 7v7 National Champions

- Originators of the Lineman Trench Warfare series

- 5th-11th Grade

The BOOM advantage:

1. Professional coaching led by former NFL players and elite coaches.

2. Compete against the nation's best to sharpen your skills and give you an added edge.

3. Maximum college recruiting exposure and guidance to help you get noticed and recruited by college scouts.

They have coaches on staff that attended tOSU (2 of them) Illinois, Western Ill, Tenn, Iowa St, Miami Fl, Toledo and Mizzou. They play in Adidas events all over the midwest. This is why I say this is a silly convo because ALL these programs try to get kids exposure and experiences visiting colleges and they'd be doing a poor job if they only took kids to their alma mater. Even if TC was blatantly pushing kids to MN and even if there were 5 kids a year on his team MN wanted, that'd still leave 25 other kids hoping to get offers from somewhere else

Top Bottom