Thinking back to spring ball 2018

Halsey Hall

Reaction score
Who knew last spring that we would win a bowl game without our starting qb, our top 2 running backs, our pro-bound left tackle, our best defensive player (AWJr) and our 2nd best defensive player (BC) who may be drafted? Who knew that Joe Rossi was the answer to a lot of defensive questions? Who knew that in that bowl game we would start 8 freshmen on offense and I believe at least 3 on defense. Also, who knew that the tandem on the right side of our offensive line would star two pure freshmen weighing a total of 770 lb. of natural ability. So how much better can it get this year?

If you look back, I predicted everything you just mentioned, basically word for word!

Who knew we'd have out highest ranked win of the year after week 2... and still win the axe from the Badgers who were in the running for a natty...

All good points. I remember early on, when Wisconsin was still highly ranked in top 10, friends were making plans to attend the Gophers game in Madison. I had some schedule conflicts so I couldn't go but distinctly remember thinking about my road Gopher record (something like 0-5) and the probability this game on the road against a more highly ranked Wisconsin team would likely be more ugly than the 2017 game at TCF. Of course, the changing winds of college football weren't lost on me as I sat on my couch that day and watched the Gophers take back the axe.

Every year is its own entity. IMHO, the only sure thing about sports is that, during the course of a season, at least 3 or 4 things will happen that no one was expecting.

In 2019, if I was betting my own money - I would bet that: 1 or more starters will be injured; a young player will emerge as a key contributor; the starting QB will have a poor game and fans will call for the backup to start; there will be questions about play-calling; there will be complaints about the kicking game; the Gophers will lose a game that no one expected; the Gophers will win a game that no one expected;

and the sure-bet prediction: anyone who criticizes the team or the coaches after a loss will be called a "troll" or a "hater."

Every year is its own entity. IMHO, the only sure thing about sports is that, during the course of a season, at least 3 or 4 things will happen that no one was expecting.

In 2019, if I was betting my own money - I would bet that: 1 or more starters will be injured; a young player will emerge as a key contributor; the starting QB will have a poor game and fans will call for the backup to start; there will be questions about play-calling; there will be complaints about the kicking game; the Gophers will lose a game that no one expected; the Gophers will win a game that no one expected;

and the sure-bet prediction: anyone who criticizes the team or the coaches after a loss will be called a "troll" or a "hater."

Such a positive and upbeat report. You remind me of my Norwegian ancestors

All good points. I remember early on, when Wisconsin was still highly ranked in top 10, friends were making plans to attend the Gophers game in Madison. I had some schedule conflicts so I couldn't go but distinctly remember thinking about my road Gopher record (something like 0-5) and the probability this game on the road against a more highly ranked Wisconsin team would likely be more ugly than the 2017 game at TCF. Of course, the changing winds of college football weren't lost on me as I sat on my couch that day and watched the Gophers take back the axe.

Football is a funny thing. Every year besides 2014, I would always be saying to myself " we re gonna get smoked by WI"

This year going into spring ball and into the season, i had the same feeling. Then, beat Purdue and our confidence and OL solidified, qb play improved and look what happened!

Regardless of the bowl win, that one victory has peoples spirits up. Similar to the bball team and its NCAA win, it lifted people up!

Top Bottom