Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

I feel like I’m the only sane one who doesn’t care where our recruits come from. Is it cool that we have a few MN guys on roster, sure. But many of my favorite Gophers are out of state recruits! All I care about is that they are talented and want to play for the U of M!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course. The thing is its a lot harder to get big time out of state recruits then big time in-state recruits. If there were players just as good as Dainja, Garcia, Suggs and Carlson that we had an equal chance at getting then I don't think anybody would care about losing those guys. But if we can't get those in-state guys then it's a lot less likely that players of that caliber from halfway across the country will come here.

Last edited:

I'll be the first to admit I only know the coaches by name not by exact role. Anyways, the hirings of the old coaches are on Pitino as is realizing he could have better and moving on from them.

Agreed it is on Pitino. Ben was good and kept positive in state relationships. Kimani was his first hire and his guy. He also is at UConn so it's not like he took a worse job. I don't think Kimani was ever a great fit here. Jeter is and will be in any B10 program. Linsted is a wild card and will be fun to see.

SDSU guard David Jenkins is transferring. Averaged 19 PPG. Would probably have to sit a year.

Agreed it is on Pitino. Ben was good and kept positive in state relationships. Kimani was his first hire and his guy. He also is at UConn so it's not like he took a worse job. I don't think Kimani was ever a great fit here. Jeter is and will be in any B10 program. Linsted is a wild card and will be fun to see.

I think people vastly overrate how good Ben was on the recruiting trail not only in just landing guys but relationships and more with in-state recruits for what it's worth

I feel like I’m the only sane one who doesn’t care where our recruits come from. Is it cool that we have a few MN guys on roster, sure. But many of my favorite Gophers are out of state recruits! All I care about is that they are talented and want to play for the U of M!

I don't care where players come from. I'll take a team full of Turks if they can play.

I think people vastly overrate how good Ben was on the recruiting trail not only in just landing guys but relationships and more with in-state recruits for what it's worth
Ben was really important for the local scene (Jarvis, Coffey, Hurt, current three freshmen). He also was the point guy on Jordan Murphy. He had McKinley Wright locked in too.

Of course. The thing is its a lot harder to get big time out of state recruits then big time in-state recruits. If there were players just as good as Dainja, Garcia, Suggs and Carlson that we had an equal chance at getting then I don't think anybody would care about losing those guys. But if we can't get those in-state guys then it's a lot less likely that players of that caliber from halfway across the country will come here.

Other teams find great players from all over. Sure, most are not some internet site top 50 but guys not even ranked are starting on top 10 programs. Several state are putting out way more depth of talent than this state and they are leaving their states for other schools. These kids do not have borders unless they have a local dream school. They find the coach they want to play for that they think will develop them the best.

Ben was really important for the local scene (Jarvis, Coffey, Hurt, current three freshmen). He also was the point guy on Jordan Murphy. He had McKinley Wright locked in too.

While I'm guessing you are correct on most of your post, the bolded is a strange comment since he's in Colorado.

Other teams find great players from all over. Sure, most are not some internet site top 50 but guys not even ranked are starting on top 10 programs. Several state are putting out way more depth of talent than this state and they are leaving their states for other schools. These kids do not have borders unless they have a local dream school. They find the coach they want to play for that they think will develop them the best.

I think most people agree with what you are saying that most local kids don’t stay home no matter what state/program.

The thing that some of us gripe about is how the local press and local fans expect certain kids to go somewhere else because they are “too good” for the U. And then those kids get all the accolades because “they were good enough” to go outstate. And the ones that do stay home are never given such praise. (why doesn’t Coffey, Gabe, Oturu, Johnson, Omersa, etc.. get the same sort of special stories on the news as the Jones?). It becomes a self-defeating legacy. “He went there, he must be real good, ... he went to the U, well such and such didn’t really want them...”. It has gotten such that many of the top instate recruits don’t even consider the U. And of course those same fans all blame it on our coach.

(After rereading my post it sounds like a story from band camp.... and then... and then...lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Was he or are you just assuming that because he was a local connection and they are local kids? All the "insider takes" and "those in the know" consistently state that if you think Pitino was lazy with in-state kids, you don't want to hear about Ben Johnson's attempts.

By the way, one of those kids isn't from here and another one didn't end up here.

Jahvon Quinerly is transferring from Nova. Quinerly was a highly touted NY/NJ kid. Quinerly's lack of playing Defense and taking care of the basketball on an average Nova team that needed help at PG and it's most definitely Jay Wrights fault for not playing him through it. Quite the travesty...

Jahvon Quinerly is transferring from Nova. Quinerly was a highly touted NY/NJ kid. Quinerly's lack of playing Defense and taking care of the basketball on an average Nova team that needed help at PG and it's most definitely Jay Wrights fault for not playing him through it. Quite the travesty...

A 4th Jelly Fam (Isaiah’s group) kid to transfer. May want to stay away from the internet sensations.

A 4th Jelly Fam (Isaiah’s group) kid to transfer. May want to stay away from the internet sensations.

I think it's more indicative of the lack of structure and coaching in the NYC/NJ school systems. Kids are not coming out of there prepared as other metro areas.

I think it's more indicative of the lack of structure and coaching in the NYC/NJ school systems. Kids are not coming out of there prepared as other metro areas.

I’d agree on this and it’s why so many of the better tri-state basketball players go to prep schools instead of staying home. Isaiah got a lot of credit for staying in NYC and somewhat reviving the local scene but at the same time it’s played a part in derailing his career. I will say that, Quinerly (Hudson Catholic) Sid Wilson (Brewster Academy) and Jordan Walker (The Patrick School) all went to schools with good basketball reputations. So I don’t think they were poorly coached in their cases but giving up internet fame to not play as much and truly develop could be a rough trade off for 18-19 year olds that have been told they are the next big thing. It’s interesting to say the least and a lesson for college coaches and more importantly hopefully young prospects.

Sidebar: I should add that after doing a bit of research Wilson transferred because he always wanted to go to UCONN. Had family pressure to go to St. John’s from the sounds of it.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Felt the need to bring this thread back to the top. Any new news out there?

Felt the need to bring this thread back to the top. Any new news out there?

I, too, would love to hear some real recruit news instead of all the bickering in the other threads.

How many spots are open now? Is it 3 more? With the possibility of an additional 2 more (dependent upon Amir Coffey and Michael Hurt)? That's lots of spots for this late in the game. It'll be an interesting couple of months.

How many spots are open now? Is it 3 more? With the possibility of an additional 2 more (dependent upon Amir Coffey and Michael Hurt)? That's lots of spots for this late in the game. It'll be an interesting couple of months.
3 at the moment. 5 likely. I don't think Hurt or Coffey will be back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 at the moment. 5 likely. I don't think Hurt or Coffey will be back.
They seem to be in pretty good shape with Sherfield and Ihnen. Hopefully, Pitino can lock them up. I'm curious to see what he makes of the other 1-3 spots.

I'm thinking coach P can find some decent players coming out of Greece.:cool02:

I got a chance to chat with some coaches that are connected to B1G recruiting this weekend. Some of this is confirmation about what we already know and some is new.
All agree that Sherfield will be a Gopher.
Crowley seems to be back in the mix. Don't know what are chances are, but it is good to know that he is still considering us. Sounds like he thought he was going to have his choice of Bluebloods, but they haven't been beating down the door yet. Ole Miss seems to have a slight lead over everyone.
We are in the mix for a good grad transfer big. I heard two different names, so Im not going to start some half truth rumor, but the good news is, we are in the mix for a decent big.

With as many as 5 more scholarships to fill, are pitino and staff thinking oh **** or hot damn?

I got a chance to chat with some coaches that are connected to B1G recruiting this weekend. Some of this is confirmation about what we already know and some is new.
Crowley seems to be back in the mix. Don't know what are chances are, but it is good to know that he is still considering us. Sounds like he thought he was going to have his choice of Bluebloods, but they haven't been beating down the door yet. Ole Miss seems to have a slight lead over everyone.
We are in the mix for a good grad transfer big. I heard two different names, so Im not going to start some half truth rumor, but the good news is, we are in the mix for a decent big.

Time will tell, but does make sense Coyle's continuing with Pitino coincides with recruiting go well.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing (carefully) your inside scoop. It’s nice to hear a bit more than just speculation. It is also great to hear some upbeat news. I believe Sherfield and especially Crowley are going to be good players. Add in a solid grad transfer big, and we are in business. With the recent commitment of the High school big (name escapes me) along with Tre Williams, that would be five new guys.

It would be a major coaching task to get that many new guys integrated in one year. I would expect Sherfield, Crowley and the unnamed grad guy to be immediate contributors. Along with Carr, Willis, Gabe, Oturu, Omersa and Curry, that would be a talented, but young, 9-man rotation. Maybe Williams and the freshman big are good enough to make that a 11-man rotation. The last two spots are the wild cards of Coffey and Hurt. I hope they both stay.

Assuming they leave, the small forward wing spot would be really young with Crowley and Williams (maybe Willis). Guard spots solid with Carr, Gabe, Sherfield and Willis. Bigs good with Oturu, Curry, Grad Guy and Freshman guy, assuming Grad guy is immediate plug and play, and freshman guy can give some decent minutes.

Of course, if Coffey returns, that makes a HUGE difference at SF. That would be a really fun team. Thanks again for the scoop. Fun to dream about serious talent added in the Spring. Adding three 4-stars would be CRAZY (Williams, Crowley and Sherfield) along with a nice grad transfer and athletic 3-star big. Get ‘er done Pitino!

Thank you for sharing (carefully) your inside scoop. It’s nice to hear a bit more than just speculation. It is also great to hear some upbeat news. I believe Sherfield and especially Crowley are going to be good players. Add in a solid grad transfer big, and we are in business. With the recent commitment of the High school big (name escapes me) along with Tre Williams, that would be five new guys.

It would be a major coaching task to get that many new guys integrated in one year. I would expect Sherfield, Crowley and the unnamed grad guy to be immediate contributors. Along with Carr, Willis, Gabe, Oturu, Omersa and Curry, that would be a talented, but young, 9-man rotation. Maybe Williams and the freshman big are good enough to make that a 11-man rotation. The last two spots are the wild cards of Coffey and Hurt. I hope they both stay.

Assuming they leave, the small forward wing spot would be really young with Crowley and Williams (maybe Willis). Guard spots solid with Carr, Gabe, Sherfield and Willis. Bigs good with Oturu, Curry, Grad Guy and Freshman guy, assuming Grad guy is immediate plug and play, and freshman guy can give some decent minutes.

Of course, if Coffey returns, that makes a HUGE difference at SF. That would be a really fun team. Thanks again for the scoop. Fun to dream about serious talent added in the Spring. Adding three 4-stars would be CRAZY (Williams, Crowley and Sherfield) along with a nice grad transfer and athletic 3-star big. Get ‘er done Pitino!

I'm grateful for Tommy's judicious information, which sounds promising.

I appreciate your optimism, but I think some is overstated. I am with others in the "we can't count on anything from Curry" camp, and if we are, we are in trouble. Way too many questions. The freshman Freeman is a longer term prospect and expecting significant contributions from him next year is overly optimistic as well. An awful lot of pieces that are now scrambled have to come together to create a positive outlook for next year. Coffey coming back, getting Crowley and an impact big man, and Willis being able to give significant valuable minutes are among them. This is assuming we get Sherfield and Carr is as good as advertised. Too many "ifs" for my taste, but it will make for a low pressure season when the expectations will be low from the beginning.

I'm grateful for Tommy's judicious information, which sounds promising.

I appreciate your optimism, but I think some is overstated. I am with others in the "we can't count on anything from Curry" camp, and if we are, we are in trouble. Way too many questions. The freshman Freeman is a longer term prospect and expecting significant contributions from him next year is overly optimistic as well. An awful lot of pieces that are now scrambled have to come together to create a positive outlook for next year. Coffey coming back, getting Crowley and an impact big man, and Willis being able to give significant valuable minutes are among them. This is assuming we get Sherfield and Carr is as good as advertised. Too many "ifs" for my taste, but it will make for a low pressure season when the expectations will be low from the beginning.

There should be pressure on recruiting results. Right now that is the biggest issue that Pitino needs to show progress in. He needs to put together a roster with some depth and that is balanced. If this next year ends up being a little off in terms of W's, perhaps because Coffey doesn't return, that's possibly okay. I want to see a roster with ability and a team that goes out on the floor and plays with great effort. A good spring and fall recruiting result and a team that plays hard defensively will work for me. I would evaluate the results based on the youth we end up going to battle with.

Top Bottom