Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

So much for recruit/transfer news only :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My dream scenario here is the following
-Tre Williams
-Grant Sherfield
-Austin Crowley
-Isaiah Ihnen

If someone transfers or Coffey goes pro...I'd like to add another big, probably a grad transfer or Sam Freeman.

What's exciting is that the above scenario is completely realistic. We are the supposed leaders on Sherfield and were in the top 3 for Crowley. We already have a visit with Ihnen.

Lets go Pitino, Jeter and Linstead! Lock these guys up and build upon a tourney win with a fantastic recruiting class.

One thing with loaded 2020 class, I like the idea of freeing up a 3rd scholarship for next year and grad transfer fits the bill.

100%. They need as many as possible for that class. Guys like Hadley and Crowl who are outside of that top 150 range need to be considered for scholarship too. Now, if Washington does eventually announce he's transferring, I think Donnell Gresham is a 100% take.

Gresham
Sims
Sherfield
Ihnen

That would be a solid class. Not sure how they'd divide up all the minutes at guard, maybe Coffey plays some point 4 like he did against MSU?

You don't say no to Sherfeild or Ihnen but if Pitino got a grad transfer big, Gresham, Sims and whichever 2019 kid wants to commit, that would be pretty good for the future considering you would graduate three front court guys with Curry/Sims as seniors in 20-21. The 2020 class locally obviously features tons of bigs so you don't want to get too many young guys in. Grad transfers just seem more ideal than anything considering the local class coming in.

I agree with ideally taking a grad transfer to free up a spot for 2020, but I also think that if you have 4* players who want to commit right now in 2019, you have to take that over the potential of getting a player in 2020. I think Sherfield is a 100% take, but I'd take Crowley over Ihnen. Crowley is 6'6 and could be a wing player to replace Coffey.

I'd rather have grad transfer bigs in 2019 rather than guard/wings because 2020 in-state has a bounty of big men but it short on guards that I can see the Gophs landing.

As far as I can see, we're one for three. Hit on Akeem and missed on Stull and on Malik Smith in Pitino's first year. As near as I can tell, grad transfers are mostly about filling out benches and plugging gaping holes like we have at power forward next season.

I wouldn't say Malik Smith was a clear miss. He was a very streaky player but he scored in double figures in 11 games that year. He had a Player Efficiency Rating of 13.5 (not great but better than McBrayer's 12.1 career average) and a True Shooting Percentage of .517 (not spectacular but certainly adequate).

You also could say that, for all practical purposes, Matz was a grad transfer and he certainly helped this year.

I agree that, in our case, grad transfers are most likely to be rotation players off the bench. They certainly are worth picking up for that purposes, though, and they are at least more physically mature.

-Tre Williams
-Grant Sherfield
-Austin Crowley
-Isaiah Ihnen

If someone transfers or Coffey goes pro...I'd like to add another big, probably a grad transfer or Sam Freeman.

What's exciting is that the above scenario is completely realistic. We are the supposed leaders on Sherfield and were in the top 3 for Crowley. We already have a visit with Ihnen.

Lets go Pitino, Jeter and Linstead! Lock these guys up and build upon a tourney win with a fantastic recruiting class.

I like that list. I'd be really happy to get Crowley, but I'd swap him for Kareem Reid
https://247sports.com/Player/Kareem-Reid-46043162/

I know very little about Reid. Were we in on him before? Based off his 247 profile I'd take him over Ihnen.

I read some not-so-encouraging comments about Reid today. Not a great rebounder and apparently not really standing out in any way on his current team. These were comments on a U-Conn board, as they are pretty confident he is a lean there, but some are not so excited about him. He sounds athletic and long. What excites you guys about Reid? I don’t know that much about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming IW transfers, my ideal class would be:

Williams
Sherfield
Crowley
Battle
Reid/Ihnen

-Tre Williams
-Grant Sherfield
-Austin Crowley
-Isaiah Ihnen

my dream scenario would be...
-Tre Williams
-Austin Crowley
-Isaiah Ihnen
-Grad Transfer PF/C

I one more scholly becomes open I would then take Sherfield….if a 2nd one opens up I would take Freeman

Priority #1a is getting a grad transfer PF/C that can make a impact for next year
Priority #1b is Crowley....a 6'6" wing that just seems to make too much sense....we get much needed depth behind Coffey for next year and a guy to count on the following year in that spot
3rd priority is Ihnen….for some reason im all in on this guy....6'8/6'9 with a little bit of handle and can be your stretch 4 and give you flexibility to play him at the 3.

Sherfield would be next for me...but if IW stays I like where we are at the 1/2
PG-Carr/IW/Coffey/Willis
SG-Gabe/Williams/Crowley(in my scenario)
SF-Coffey/Crowley/Hurt

and Freeman I just don't know much about. but if we cant land a grad transfer PF/C or if we get another scholly open I think he would be a solid get.....

so here would be my ideal scenario depth chart

PG-Carr/IW/Willis
SG-Gabe/Williams
SF-Coffey/Crowley/Hurt
PF-Grad Transfer/Omersa/Ihnen
C-Oturu/Curry

and at PF/C we have options with Curry getting minutes at the 4 & 5 and ideally the grad transfer can get some run at both spots

and im a big proponent of opening up another scholly for 2020 class with that grad transfer

Last edited:

-Tre Williams
-Grant Sherfield
-Austin Crowley
-Isaiah Ihnen

So no bigs?

I wouldn't say Malik Smith was a clear miss. He was a very streaky player but he scored in double figures in 11 games that year. He had a Player Efficiency Rating of 13.5 (not great but better than McBrayer's 12.1 career average) and a True Shooting Percentage of .517 (not spectacular but certainly adequate).

You also could say that, for all practical purposes, Matz was a grad transfer and he certainly helped this year.

I agree that, in our case, grad transfers are most likely to be rotation players off the bench. They certainly are worth picking up for that purposes, though, and they are at least more physically mature.

Point well taken. My memory of Smith is that he didn't meet expectations and the team fell short of a reachable NCAA bid that one season he was here. I'll never forget the 30 he dropped on Nebraska in Lincoln and we still lost. Calling him a miss is an overstatement, but we didn't get what we needed from him that season.

Ihnen is a big and if we have a transfer or Coffey goes pro, we would go after a grad transfer or juco.

True he is a big, but I think he is 6-9 and 205. That's pretty thin to be banging in the B1G which is what we need the most. Whether we get him or not, I think we need a bruiser who can contribute significantly right away.

True he is a big, but I think he is 6-9 and 205. That's pretty thin to be banging in the B1G which is what we need the most. Whether we get him or not, I think we need a bruiser who can contribute significantly right away.

Having a bruising big man is overrated in the Big Ten. Other than MSU, who really has that? Michigan didn’t, or Purdue. Wisconsin didn’t. Most teams are going with one big, and four out. In fact, the big can usually play out as well - Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, , etc. People worry way too much about positions offensively - it’s more about being able to guard.

I think Pitino played to Murphy the last few years, thus playing two bigs as Murphy isn’t big enough to guard most other team’s bigs, so you couldn’t go four out, one in with Murph. They can with Oturo, and play four perimeter players.

I would forget getting transfers from UNLV. Knowing their new coach, he is not going to lose any player that can help him. Now if the kid is trouble in school or lockeroom, then yes, he gone(as they say in NJ).

per Sid:

• The Gophers have three scholarships available for next season, if Amir Coffey doesn’t turn pro. While John Marshall star Matthew Hurt still has them on his list of teams, other players they could get are small forward Myron Gardner of Detroit and power forward Isaiah Ihnen of Germany. Ihnen reportedly will visit the Gophers, TCU and Tennessee in April.

• As for Hurt, he said at the McDonald’s All-American Game last week in Atlanta that he will announce his college decision on April 19. While Kansas and Duke are the favorites, he was asked by 247Sports on Monday about any other schools with a chance and replied, “I would say Minnesota and Memphis are the two and I wouldn’t count them out.”

http://www.startribune.com/scandal-plagued-1951-ncaa-title-game-at-williams-arena/507891061/

Go Gophers!!

David Jenkins leaving So Dak St, would be in on him, especially with 2 years left and scholarships open

David Jenkins leaving So Dak St, would be in on him, especially with 2 years left and scholarships open
That’s an interesting name to follow if Sherfield doesn’t pan out.

Would he be immediately eligible? or will the NCAA do us dirty again? also is he okay to play backup or would he want a starting role?

Would he be immediately eligible? or will the NCAA do us dirty again? also is he okay to play backup or would he want a starting role?

Personalities matter and I agree you don't want to recruit people who will be unhappy but whoever is on the roster needs to earn their minutes. I don't think there is too much doubt Richard has etched that in stone for all to see.
Michael Hurt's playing time while courting Matthew.
IW as a heralded recruit but getting outworked in practice and ignoring the recipe to more court time....so he doesn't play.
Not the first two or only two examples. Stull and Matz sat a lot to begin the year and worked their way into a role. Injuries and other circumstances mean guys gotta be ready for their opportunity and I think all our guys played well , they were prepared to contribute....that's coaching. Hurt and Omersa played well in the NCAA tournament.

Bottom line, we need more people. Patience, I guess. They have a plan. That's what I keep telling myself.

Personalities matter and I agree you don't want to recruit people who will be unhappy but whoever is on the roster needs to earn their minutes. I don't think there is too much doubt Richard has etched that in stone for all to see.
Michael Hurt's playing time while courting Matthew.
IW as a heralded recruit but getting outworked in practice and ignoring the recipe to more court time....so he doesn't play.
Not the first two or only two examples. Stull and Matz sat a lot to begin the year and worked their way into a role. Injuries and other circumstances mean guys gotta be ready for their opportunity and I think all our guys played well , they were prepared to contribute....that's coaching. Hurt and Omersa played well in the NCAA tournament.

Bottom line, we need more people. Patience, I guess. They have a plan. That's what I keep telling myself.

Agree with all of this. We desperately need role players outside of Curry. Playing 6 guys and not expecting an injury is unrealistic. Is Pitino a little snake bitten? I think so. I also think he had a bit of a Fleck-Rob Smith dilemma with Pitino and Young. Hopefully we can start to recruit better depth with Jeter like we played better defense with Rossi

Agree with all of this. We desperately need role players outside of Curry. Playing 6 guys and not expecting an injury is unrealistic. Is Pitino a little snake bitten? I think so. I also think he had a bit of a Fleck-Rob Smith dilemma with Pitino and Young. Hopefully we can start to recruit better depth with Jeter like we played better defense with Rossi

Jeter>Young in all facets although Young's replacement was truly Linsted. Jeter is taking over more of Ben's roles in scouts which Rob is also better at.

Jeter>Young in all facets although Young's replacement was truly Linsted. Jeter is taking over more of Ben's roles in scouts which Rob is also better at.

I'll be the first to admit I only know the coaches by name not by exact role. Anyways, the hirings of the old coaches are on Pitino as is realizing he could have better and moving on from them.

I'll be the first to admit I only know the coaches by name not by exact role. Anyways, the hirings of the old coaches are on Pitino as is realizing he could have better and moving on from them.

Are these new guys better at recruiting Minnesota kids? The next class of seniors here is crucial to the program's success.

I feel like I’m the only sane one who doesn’t care where our recruits come from. Is it cool that we have a few MN guys on roster, sure. But many of my favorite Gophers are out of state recruits! All I care about is that they are talented and want to play for the U of M!

I feel like I’m the only sane one who doesn’t care where our recruits come from. Is it cool that we have a few MN guys on roster, sure. But many of my favorite Gophers are out of state recruits! All I care about is that they are talented and want to play for the U of M!

I'm with you. The degree to which people care about this is crazy, in my opinion. Does anybody care now that Jordan Murphy was from Texas? Bobby Jackson -- not from Minnesota. Many other examples.

I think the biggest misconception is players ranked in the top 1-25 (Matthew Hurt types) stay home in other states. They just don't and it has been proven many times on this board. In the rare cases when they have stayed home, a one and done doesn't necessarily transform the program like many on here predict. (see Romeo Langford)

Then the next wave of players in the 25-100 range, the Gophers have done a decent job (Oturu/Coffey). After that, why does it matter? Find four year guys that want to be here and quick wasting energy worrying about MN kids that want to experience other places. It happens.

Top Bottom