Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

STrib: Gophers' Richard Pitino, new contract in hand, empowered heading into recruiting push

When Richard Pitino and Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle talked about the basketball coach’s future last month, both sides moved quickly toward crafting a new contract at season’s end.

Some coaching staffs have their recruiting classes finished in the fall, but the Gophers were looking at a busy spring. They could fill four or five more open scholarship slots in this spring signing period, which starts Wednesday.

Pitino enters this recruiting fray backed by a new deal signed earlier this month that extends him through the 2023-24 season.

“It’s something we talked about during the season, but we both agreed let’s just finish this thing out,” Pitino said. “As a head coach, rarely do you feel completely comfortable. Maybe John Calipari [does] now that he has a lifetime contract at Kentucky. But other than that, you’re scratching and clawing every season.

“It’s nice to get to five years. It does help in recruiting to show that commitment, to show those guys this is where you want to be and continue to build it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...wered-heading-into-recruiting-push/508673312/

Go Gophers!!

Question...… Do you think RP is recruiting Grad Transfers, more so, than in-coming freshman, because he wants more scholarships open for the 2020 class?
It seems like a possibility if he is feeling confident about landing a few of them...

thoughts?

Question...… Do you think RP is recruiting Grad Transfers, more so, than in-coming freshman, because he wants more scholarships open for the 2020 class?
It seems like a possibility if he is feeling confident about landing a few of them...

thoughts?

I think Pitino wants to win now and wants to have the claim of taking Gophers to 3 NCAA Tournaments in 4 years. The urgency is now and there will always be open scholarships for a class 18 months down the road. Getting grad transfers fills immediate needs which we have, especially if Amir doesn't come back.

Go Gophers!!

I think Pitino wants to win now and wants to have the claim of taking Gophers to 3 NCAA Tournaments in 4 years. The urgency is now and there will always be open scholarships for a class 18 months down the road. Getting grad transfers fills immediate needs which we have, especially if Amir doesn't come back.

Go Gophers!!

Agree 100%, Bleed.

Gophers need some reinforcements now, and Pitino realizes that. As currently constructed, this is likely a Weakling Wednesday roster in 2019-20 if Amir doesn't return.

Agree 100%, Bleed.

Gophers need some reinforcements now, and Pitino realizes that. As currently constructed, this is likely a Weakling Wednesday roster in 2019-20 if Amir doesn't return.

What evidence is he's trying to fill these spots with Grad Transfers only? We just got rejected by Sherfield. We have interest in true freshman Skogman, Tujaute Williams, Ilhen, Oliver Njamhoua. Amy I missing anyone?

I dont think he's not trying to fill freshman. At this point, Pitino is looking for warm bodies

What evidence is he's trying to fill these spots with Grad Transfers only? We just got rejected by Sherfield. We have interest in true freshman Skogman, Tujaute Williams, Ilhen, Oliver Njamhoua. Amy I missing anyone?

I dont think he's not trying to fill freshman. At this point, Pitino is looking for warm bodies

He's not looking for Rudruds yet.

Just an FYI, Skogman isnt being recruited by MN anymore, they wouldnt of been able to get him medically cleared so stopped recruiting him.

thoughts?

I think he is recruiting whoever he can get. I do think grad transfer or Juco is close to a must, but sometimes we talk like freshman can't contribute much

Sherfield going to WS stings a little.

I trust that Coach will recruit gifted basketball players. He cannot make them choose UMN. He can only pitch a great University, an international city with amazing networks and a basketball program that will give players a chance to showcase their skills on an international stage. If a basketball player doesn't want that, there is little that Coach can do except wish them godspeed elsewhere.
I am confident players will choose UMN and I am confident that I will cheer for them.

With Sam Freeman and Tre Williams in the fold, I'd be perfectly happy filling out the rest of the 2019/20 roster with Grad transfers. I'd like to have as many open scholarships as possible for the 2020 MN HS class with the sheer number of great prospects in that class. The one recruit that really intrigues me is Ihnen and I do hope we have the chance to add this kid.

we can add Kareem South to the list of Grad Transfers Minnesota has reached out to. He is a 6'2" guard from Texas A&M Corpus Cristie

What Grad transfers we want most? Here is my list.

1. Blacksheer - Didn't his brother play for Dad at Louisville?
2. Juiston - Just seems like a beast. Not sure if we have an angle other than the asst. coach.
3. Demir - If he can make threes and rebound I'd be happy with him as a third choice.
4. Hazzard - I guess if we need another PG.
5. Gresham - seems like a solid rent a player who might like to come home for a year.

Would only want to sign 2 of these guys and then get Ihnen. We so badly need SF types and I feel like we are not going to get interest from Grad Transfers till Coffey says he's going pro no matter what and by the time he figures that out, who will be left?

The Housers are still some attractive bait to sign just to piss off Wisconsin!

With Sam Freeman and Tre Williams in the fold, I'd be perfectly happy filling out the rest of the 2019/20 roster with Grad transfers. I'd like to have as many open scholarships as possible for the 2020 MN HS class with the sheer number of great prospects in that class. The one recruit that really intrigues me is Ihnen and I do hope we have the chance to add this kid.

I really, really want Ihnen. It just seems that he is a player who would really fit because he appears to be both a shooter and a good athlete who could fill in minutes at the 3 or 4 position. That gives us some Coffey insurance and Curry insurance in one guy.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_R_Fuller/status/1118639622005952513?s=19

Kareem South. Guard from TCC

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty nice highlight tape from Kareem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1W-iLP51Dw&feature=youtu.be

Seems like he has a solid jumper, pretty quick and can get to the hole as well. Can handle it and create some pressure with his speed and penetration. Nearly 14pts and 5 rebs/game. Shot 36-37% from 3 the last 3 years. Notable games this year:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3951584/kareem-south

Seems like he could be a very solid addition for guard depth (along the likes of Gresham or Hazzard). I'd be pleased with him. Have to think the fact that he and Carr played AAU in Canada together could help

Pretty nice highlight tape from Kareem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1W-iLP51Dw&feature=youtu.be

Seems like he has a solid jumper, pretty quick and can get to the hole as well. Can handle it and create some pressure with his speed and penetration. Nearly 14pts and 5 rebs/game. Shot 36-37% from 3 the last 3 years. Notable games this year:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3951584/kareem-south

Seems like he could be a very solid addition for guard depth (along the likes of Gresham or Hazzard). I'd be pleased with him. Have to think the fact that he and Carr played AAU in Canada together could help

If Pitino is recruiting these point guards, i have to think they arent depending on Willis to play point.

If Pitino is recruiting these point guards, i have to think they arent depending on Willis to play point.

I think you'd call any of these three grad transfer guards "combo" guards. But regardless, there is tons of positional flexibility, so it's more about adding guard depth. Kareem South led his team in scoring and was 2nd in assists

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Everything that was said last year had Willis as a three. He should be viewed as insurance if Coffey goes pro or Hurt transfers.

Everything that was said last year had Willis as a three. He should be viewed as insurance if Coffey goes pro or Hurt transfers.

that would make more sense. And the grad transfer PG's that they are recruiting are small. You dont see 5'9 guys play 2 guard too often

Edit: Hazzard is 5'10, but Id be shocked if he doesn't end up at Arizona where is brother is

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I like that description. I hope he shows that kind of toughness immediately. If he does, he'll get decent floor time right away.

I like that description. I hope he shows that kind of toughness immediately. If he does, he'll get decent floor time right away.

Agreed. If that’s his mentality he will be a plus on the defensive end immediately

Top Bottom