Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

Not that it means much, but I have only seen him at 3 stars. These beat reporters sure know how to stretch the truth for a better looking tweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What good grad transfer is gonna be cool with coming in and being a backup pg? Those guys wanna play and there isnt many minutes available here.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at us having a tough time selling "hey come here and play 10 minutes a game as a rotational guy in your final year of your career." It'd be great for our roster construction of course but it's a tough sell.

What I am interested in though is how much more attractive of a spot this becomes if Coffey doesn't come back. Suddenly, there's an open spot somewhere in the backcourt that seemingly is yours if you want it but the tough part of that situation is that most of the top GT talent has already come off the board.

My general philosophy right now is yes, it would be nice to have a 1 year rental PG to add some depth there but really the philosophy should be find the best GT backcourt player you possibly can and add them.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at us having a tough time selling "hey come here and play 10 minutes a game as a rotational guy in your final year of your career." It'd be great for our roster construction of course but it's a tough sell.

What I am interested in though is how much more attractive of a spot this becomes if Coffey doesn't come back. Suddenly, there's an open spot somewhere in the backcourt that seemingly is yours if you want it but the tough part of that situation is that most of the top GT talent has already come off the board.

My general philosophy right now is yes, it would be nice to have a 1 year rental PG to add some depth there but really the philosophy should be find the best GT backcourt player you possibly can and add them.

It is a classic situation to bring in a Freshman PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a classic situation to bring in a Freshman PG.

Agreed. You have the two sit-out transfers; one of them is the likely starter at PG and the other likely will have some ball handling duties. Coffey is likely to return and he and McBrayer were the de facto point guards for most last season. Given Washington's situation last year, there appears to be better functional coverage of those duties for the upcoming season than there was most of last year. Yes, this is the classic situation to bring in a freshman point guard.

It's pretty late to get a freshman PG in this class. Bringing in freshman this late in the process has a lot of risk of having a miss take a scholarship for 4 years - see Bakary/Gaston. It might be best to bank the scholarship if they can't bring in a transfer.

Not that it means much, but I have only seen him at 3 stars. These beat reporters sure know how to stretch the truth for a better looking tweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, pretty funny response to that by Mika; he saw that too and actually tweeted that very correction. . .pretty humble and honest dude:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

Definitely. This should be a process decision. My assumption is the bust potential for late season freshman recruits is much higher and the risk goes up considerably.

In general I would agree with you. However, in this case he was already committed somewhere else but re-opened once Miles was let go. Could still end up being a bust, but not the same profile as a guy that had no interest going into the spring.

In general I would agree with you. However, in this case he was already committed somewhere else but re-opened once Miles was let go. Could still end up being a bust, but not the same profile as a guy that had no interest going into the spring.

Completely agree. Adams-Woods seems like a solid target and I hope he commits to the Gophers. I should have clarified that I was thinking of a situation where he signs with a different school.

Completely agree. Adams-Woods seems like a solid target and I hope he commits to the Gophers. I should have clarified that I was thinking of a situation where he signs with a different school.

What? Follow along with the discussion.

I'm of the same mindset. While I think our program is finally on the rise during Pitino's tenure here, it'd take several more high-quality seasons (NCAA birth, NCAA wins, consistent top-5 in the B1G) following this past season to start securing some of the better grad transfers to come here for low minutes. This is why I'm 100% with our program heading in the recruiting more young talent direction.

It'll be interesting to see how good this guy from Drexel is, and landing Mika Adams-Woods would round out our recruiting class nicely.

It's pretty late to get a freshman PG in this class. Bringing in freshman this late in the process has a lot of risk of having a miss take a scholarship for 4 years - see Bakary/Gaston. It might be best to bank the scholarship if they can't bring in a transfer.

There are a minimum of 3 scholarship openings next year; that's certainly enough and easier to fill than 4 and there's a fair enough chance there will be 4 anyway. Alchemy is right. Bring in a freshman (even if he isn't that highly rated) to play light minutes and see what he can do. Bakary/Gaston were unusual cases. Most players who played as little as Gaston would have transferred. Bakary actually played a lot in his career because of Pitino's short rosters so, even if he wasn't good, he was still needed.

Last edited:

Jimmy Whitt is transferring out of SMU. He’s been in college for 4 years, so I assume he’s a grad transfer, averaged 12 points and 4 assists last year. Gophers were interested in him coming out of high school.

Jimmy Whitt is transferring out of SMU. He’s been in college for 4 years, so I assume he’s a grad transfer, averaged 12 points and 4 assists last year. Gophers were interested in him coming out of high school.

14% three point shooter (made 4 last year) and a 57% FT shooter...I hope he would be a really good slasher, defender and passer with those stats.

14% three point shooter (made 4 last year) and a 57% FT shooter...I hope he would be a really good slasher, defender and passer with those stats.

And he announced back in March that he was going into the NBA draft. Interesting.

Saw him play in high school and he was a great athlete. Would fit great if we want to press more. Don't recall him shooting much if at all back then so I had no idea he was that bad at it. Yikes.

No thanks. I’m tired of athletes who can’t shoot. Give me a roster full of shooters. Even a few slow ones mixed in would be fine. Ryan Cline was no barn-burner, and not a great athlete, but with his shooting he could change a game.

No thanks. I’m tired of athletes who can’t shoot. Give me a roster full of shooters. Even a few slow ones mixed in would be fine. Ryan Cline was no barn-burner, and not a great athlete, but with his shooting he could change a game.

A roster full of Brock Stulls?

Um... Ryan Cline wasn't the best athlete, but he could defend, something M. Painter demands. He also is a very unique shooter, a high-release, 30-foot range, fadeaway, etc. etc. There are not many of those. They also had an offense built around the 3-ball; drive and dish. Without Carsen Edwards, Ryan Cline is scoring 5 less points per game.

Yeah idk if he’s the best comp. his off ball movement is phenomenal and he may not be fast but he’s quick and good around screens with ability to shoot off balance and with a hand in his face at a way higher than average rate

per Marcus:

Isaiah Ihnen, the top recruit in the Gophers’ 2019 class, was named Thursday to the German national team to play in the FIBA European U20 Championship this summer in Tel Aviv.

Ihnen was grateful for the selection, but he told the Star Tribune he might not play in the event scheduled for July 13-21. The 6-foot-9, 210-pound forward's top priority is to join the Gophers as soon as he can.

“I’m not sure if I’m going to play,” he said about the German U20 national team. “Rather go to campus earlier.”

Fellow incoming freshmen Tre’ Williams and Sam Freeman are expected to arrive in the Twin Cities around June 10 to get ready for summer school. Also joining them will be Drexel graduate transfer Alihan Demir, who will be a senior next season.

Figuring out when Ihnen will be back in the U.S. for college is a bit more complex. He'll remain in Germany training until the U’s compliance office gets his visa and final grades. That's standard procedure with foreign recruits. The Gophers are just hopeful the process goes smoothly.

“We’re huge in Germany,” Pitino joked this week. “He was someone where we scouted early. Really, really talented. I really believe if he were going to high school in the states he’s probably a top 50, top 75 recruit. We need a versatile wing. We got that. He’s somebody who is going to be a terrific player down the road. Loves basketball. High, High ceiling. So, we’re excited to get him on campus.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-play-for-german-u20-national-team/510386072/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Pitino talked at the Gophers coaches caravan this week about still trying to add to his 2019 recruiting class, which ranks fourth in the Big Ten by 247Sports.com. Minnesota has one scholarship remaining for next season, but it could be two. Junior guard Amir Coffey has until next Wednesday's deadline to remove his name from the NBA draft. No decision has been made yet.

“From a recruiting standpoint, kids want to come in and play right away,” Pitino said. “So, when you have that uncertainty if a guy is coming or going … if Amir comes back, he’s obviously going to play a lot. So as a coach you’ve got to be patient. A lot of us are going through it. We’re not the only ones that are dealing with it right now.”

-- New Hampton School (N.H.) guard Mika Adams-Woods, who visited the Gophers a couple weeks ago, is looking for a program where he can play major minutes right away in the backcourt. He has an official visit scheduled for Cincinnati next Monday through Wednesday. A decision for the three-star fifth-year senior and New York native could come after that.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-play-for-german-u20-national-team/510386072/

Go Gophers!!

He also got taken to the woodshed defensively. You need a balance of both. Ideally great athletes who can shoot, but you can't load up too much on either dide

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Um... Ryan Cline wasn't the best athlete, but he could defend, something M. Painter demands. He also is a very unique shooter, a high-release, 30-foot range, fadeaway, etc. etc. There are not many of those. They also had an offense built around the 3-ball; drive and dish. Without Carsen Edwards, Ryan Cline is scoring 5 less points per game.

I don't want to hear this B.S. about Ryan Cline being a good defender. What? Have you WATCHED him play? He was quite clearly the weakest link in an otherwise defensively sound team. Virginia's guards got after him in the NCAA tournament (Kyle Guy went 8-19 and Ty Jerome was 7-18).

Ryan Cline is a great shooter, but I believe we have a better version of him in Gabe Kalscheur. Gabe could end up like a mini Klay Thompson by his senior year.

So one guy shot 42% and the other 38%? Ok. Without Carson Edwards he might of averaged more. Edwards before March Madness jacked shots like World B. Free. Cline was a baller!

So one guy shot 42% and the other 38%? Ok. Without Carson Edwards he might of averaged more. Edwards before March Madness jacked shots like World B. Free. Cline was a baller!
Without Carsen Edwards, defenders would've paid more attention to him

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rumor is coming out that Hausers will be spliting with Sam going to UVA and Joey going to MSU, so wisconsin misses out on both hometown boys who grew up as Badger fans.

Top Bottom