Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

Had another one with Tennessee that he canceled. Looks like us and TCU only, for now. Hopefully the German education doesn't create admission issues in transcript translation and interpretation.

They'll figure it out. Germans take calculus in 11th and 12th grade, they are bilingual and he's a recruited athlete. All admissions offices would admit him.

And if he had better rebounding numbers then he'd be visiting Kentucky and UNC like Sestina and Pierce.

I see what you're saying here. I think the team is better off looking for a solid rim defender that can rebound with lesser scoring ability, like a Mo Walker, than a scoring big that can't rebound or defend. I think with Curry's health in question, post defense and rim protection will be the biggest area of concern going into next year.

Last edited:

I see what you're saying here. I think the team is better off looking for a solid rim defender that can rebound with lesser scoring ability, like a Mo Walker, than a scoring big that can't rebound or defend. I think with Curry's health in question, post defense and rim protection will be the biggest area of concern going into next year.

Erich

Omersa and Oturu will be good defenders next year having an offensive minded 4 to pair with Omersa wont be a bad thing.

Omersa and Oturu will be good defenders next year having an offensive minded 4 to pair with Omersa wont be a bad thing.

Nothing I saw from Omersa last year made me feel like he's a lock to get a regular role in 2019/20. I'm hoping he makes the leap but he's got a long way to go.

Nothing I saw from Omersa last year made me feel like he's a lock to get a regular role in 2019/20. I'm hoping he makes the leap but he's got a long way to go.

I would have said that, until the very last game of the year. That gave me some hope.

Any news on Juiston? Looking around on twitter and such, things have been pretty quiet. Hopefully the Jeter connection can pay off.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Any news on Juiston? Looking around on twitter and such, things have been pretty quiet. Hopefully the Jeter connection can pay off.

Not sure of juice will want to come of Drexel guy commits

Not sure of juice will want to come of Drexel guy commits
I would hope the staff isn't looking at Demir to be the starter at PF. He looks like a solid role player, but Juiston is much better.

I would hope the staff isn't looking at Demir to be the starter at PF. He looks like a solid role player, but Juiston is much better.

I agree, but take Demir if he wants to come. Between him, Curry and Omersa they should be able to play PF by committee. Juiston would be icing on the cake

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Has there even been any discussion about Juiston visiting or any other news of any momentum with him? I haven't seen anything

I think they are and I think Demir will be the starting PF next year if he commits which I'd be happy with.

I think Juiston would probably be the third best PF we've had in the Tubby/Pitino era if we got him behind Murphy and Mbakwe. Would love it but would be hard to get.

Last edited:

I've heard that he is taking his time deciding on where he will visit. He is hearing from just about everybody right now. He should be setting visits shortly after Easter. The longer he waits, the lower our chances get.

Last edited:

I've heard that he is taking his time deciding on where he will visit. He is hearing from just about everybody right now. He should be setting visits shortly after Easter. The longer he waits, the lower our chances get.

Doesn’t sound very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t sound very promising.

I don't think they are. There was momentum right away as we were one of the first to contact him, but the longer he waits, the bigger the schools get that contact him. I highly doubt we will lose him to the likes of a K State or Iowa St. It will be a bigger school

Here is what I know about Juiston.
It is important to understand that his value is at nearly 5 star status right now based on 3 things:
1. Good news on his knee injury
2. Spring recruits coming off the board
3. A couple of forwards that were expected to transfer, didn't
When he first decided to transfer, I can confirm that the Gophers were among the first schools to contact him, along with K State, Iowa St and Oregon. At this point, our chances were pretty good. We had an immediate opening, we have had success at the power forward position, and we had a connection. Since then I know some big schools such as Kansas have contacted him.
I will give an update once I hear where he is visiting

Here is what I know about Juiston.
It is important to understand that his value is at nearly 5 star status right now based on 3 things:
1. Good news on his knee injury
2. Spring recruits coming off the board
3. A couple of forwards that were expected to transfer, didn't
When he first decided to transfer, I can confirm that the Gophers were among the first schools to contact him, along with K State, Iowa St and Oregon. At this point, our chances were pretty good. We had an immediate opening, we have had success at the power forward position, and we had a connection. Since then I know some big schools such as Kansas have contacted him.
I will give an update once I hear where he is visiting

Thanks.

Two more updates on Juiston. He cannot officially announce his transfer until after he graduates on May 18. Believe it or not, he is going to visit Grand Canyon University. Marvin Menzies is an asst coach there

Two more updates on Juiston. He cannot officially announce his transfer until after he graduates on May 18. Believe it or not, he is going to visit Grand Canyon University. Marvin Menzies is an asst coach there

Do you mean he can't sign until he graduates or he can't publicly announce his transfer? Because Stull and Geno announced their transfer intentions before they officially graduated.

Do you mean he can't sign until he graduates or he can't publicly announce his transfer? Because Stull and Geno announced their transfer intentions before they officially graduated.

Im not sure what the deal is. I probably should've written will not instead of cannot

my take on him is clearly he has some high upside but its raw. best case, if we are able to get him, is for Coffey to come back and also find a grad transfer PF. Ihnen wouldn't be counted on to do much for this next season. Probably like an Omersa type role at the 3 & 4, 5-8 minutes a game. Ease him into things. But by his 2nd/3rd years I think he could be a very solid big ten player.

Good take. I don't see Ihnen as an immediate impact guy. I think the transition from German 4th division to the B1G is going to be a tough one, especially from a physicality stand point. The kid can shoot the ball & we can always use an athletic slasher, but we need some immediate help to do the dirty work with Murphy gone.

ESPN Game Log - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4279197/alihan-demir

Lower rebounding numbers than I'd expect (5+/game) at Drexel for a PF. Drexel's other starter is 6'8 242 according to ESPN and averages 8+ boards per game. Demir took a lot of shots last year. Any idea how people view his defense?

The guy's a below-the-rim, finesse guy. He uses both hands well & can step out to shoot the 3 a bit, but he's not very athletic, doesn't rebound or block shots well for a guy as tall as he is. He can be a nice addition to the team, but anyone thinking this is a tradition B1G PF may be in for a bit of a disappointment.

You think Omersa's going to be ready for prime time next year huh? I didn't see that this year. I saw a guy who looked really overwhelmed. I like his motor & think in time he'll be a functional back-up, but I'm not excited about having to depend on him for major minutes next year.

You think Omersa's going to be ready for prime time next year huh? I didn't see that this year. I saw a guy who looked really overwhelmed. I like his motor & think in time he'll be a functional back-up, but I'm not excited about having to depend on him for major minutes next year.

Players often make big jumps in year two. Offensively he is limited but what if he becomes our best defender, a guy that can guard 3 positions ?

Players often make big jumps in year two. Offensively he is limited but what if he becomes our best defender, a guy that can guard 3 positions ?

agreed. think he will work well next to Oturu, who I expect to make a big leap on both ends of the floor, and will be a defensive plus. Gotta have guys that board well and defend. Think it'll be a spot by committee down low with Oturu being the big minutes guy and the rest rotating through unless we land one of the real top flight transfers.

Doesn’t he have only about 4 years of basketball experience: one with the gophers and three in HS? If so, he could make big jumps in development every year with the team

It's hard to predict how young players will develop. Personally, from what I've seen of Omersa thus far, I see Miles Tarver as his ceiling. High motor, great effort, pesky defense and active rebounding. Anything we get from him offensively would just be gravy on my ribeye.

One thing people dont consider with Omersa is how young he is. I think hes younger than Matthew hurt and our recruit Tre Williams.

Exactly. People give up on kids so quick. Look at Donovan Mitchell’s stats from his freshman year at Louisville, and he was a guard who usually don’t take as long to develop as a bigger guy. John Thomas didn’t do much his freshman and sophomore years at the U, and he ended up a first round draft choice. It would have been a big mistake to give up on him after one year.

Good take. I don't see Ihnen as an immediate impact guy. I think the transition from German 4th division to the B1G is going to be a tough one, especially from a physicality stand point. The kid can shoot the ball & we can always use an athletic slasher, but we need some immediate help to do the dirty work with Murphy gone.

Really, you get all of that from a few videos? You know what the German 4th division is? We really have no idea.

He looked more than serviceable when we needed him to step up in the last game. And as others have noted he should be able to improve year over year. Combine his improvement with a hopefully improved Oturu and I like that duo.

Top Bottom