Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

agreed. think he will work well next to Oturu, who I expect to make a big leap on both ends of the floor, and will be a defensive plus. Gotta have guys that board well and defend. Think it'll be a spot by committee down low with Oturu being the big minutes guy and the rest rotating through unless we land one of the real top flight transfers.

Omersa was a horrible defender this season because he couldn't grasp team defense. He's certainly got the 'want-to' & I love his high motor, but he was a major liability defensively, which is why he rarely played. He will have every opportunity to play extended minutes with the lack of bodies. If he can make that big jump as a Sophomore, we'll be in a dramatically better situation than I expect us to be in.

Really, you get all of that from a few videos? You know what the German 4th division is? We really have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I can clearly see from those videos that the competition in that league is not the caliber of the B1G. Lot's of slow White dudes, lot's of wide open looks from 3. Just saying he's not a 5* blue chipper who we should expect an immediate impact from. He certainly could surprise? More likely though, he's a bench player, contributing a few minutes a game.

He looked more than serviceable when we needed him to step up in the last game. And as others have noted he should be able to improve year over year. Combine his improvement with a hopefully improved Oturu and I like that duo.

I don't think I'd call that performance "more than serviceable"? I'd call it "plucky". He got his butt kicked by bigger, more talented players & didn't quit, in a 20 pt loss. He certainly showed he plays hard. Don't get me wrong, I like Omersa. I like his motor. I just think he was baffled by team defense & that he's not the kind of player a top-tier B1G program would be counting on. That said, this is what we have to work with & Omersa will have every opportunity to play extended minutes.

I don't think I'd call that performance "more than serviceable"? I'd call it "plucky". He got his butt kicked by bigger, more talented players & didn't quit, in a 20 pt loss. He certainly showed he plays hard. Don't get me wrong, I like Omersa. I like his motor. I just think he was baffled by team defense & that he's not the kind of player a top-tier B1G program would be counting on. That said, this is what we have to work with & Omersa will have every opportunity to play extended minutes.

Those were the same bigs that also dominated Murphy. I guess my opinion does rely on his improvement in the off season. Idk maybe their tourney win just has me more optimistic. I guess we'll find out.

Not every team is going to roll out Xavier Tillman, Aaron Henry, Kenny Goins and Nick Ward in their front court. Omersa looked fine on D it's his offense that needs alot of work. He should be fine providing energy five to ten minutes a game.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes, I can clearly see from those videos that the competition in that league is not the caliber of the B1G. Lot's of slow White dudes, lot's of wide open looks from 3. Just saying he's not a 5* blue chipper who we should expect an immediate impact from. He certainly could surprise? More likely though, he's a bench player, contributing a few minutes a game.

Yes, it’s not Big Ten, yet hard to figure out how any kid will contribute based on high school. Anyway, I agree, no one should expect too much from any kid coming in.

Omersa was a horrible defender this season because he couldn't grasp team defense. He's certainly got the 'want-to' & I love his high motor, but he was a major liability defensively, which is why he rarely played. He will have every opportunity to play extended minutes with the lack of bodies. If he can make that big jump as a Sophomore, we'll be in a dramatically better situation than I expect us to be in.

We can agree to disagree. Oturu also got the crap kicked out of him numerous times in the post. It’s a damn tough spot to come in and defend against guys 3-4 years older than you. Give him a year of muscle to put on and I feel he’ll be just fine. To be frank, I would say our overall rotation defense down low was VERY lacking at times across the board so I would not be singling put Omersa on that regard by any stretch

Really, you get all of that from a few videos? You know what the German 4th division is? We really have no idea.

Given how unpopular basketball is in Germany, the competition is probably going to be pretty weak at any division.

Given how unpopular basketball is in Germany, the competition is probably going to be pretty weak at any division.

The top division in Germany is considered a top 5 league in the world (aside from the NBA) and probably much better than the NCAA on average. A lot of the guys in the top German divisions probably aren't from Germany anyways.

BTW Ihnen doesn't play in the German 4th division, he plays the top U19 league which is considered the equivalent in level of play as the German 4th division but he doesn't play in that division itself. The German 4th division is a professional league.

Last edited:

Not sure this is true anymore. While soccer continues to be king ( by a wide margin), basketball has become quite popular in Europe. I’m guessing that it is now #2 in popularity in many countries, including Germany.

His teammate is a legit NBA prospect so it might not be that bad of competition but its tough to tell.

Critical recruiting window for college coaches near. With the new recruiting dates for AAU games coming up there are only two small windows, teams elite camps now become critical for on campus. There will be a ton of new names for 2020.

Need some news here, running low on fingernails!

Max Hazzard off the board.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Honestly the news since Friday of the NCAA tournament has been nothing short of a disaster for this program! Our hopes are hinging on a German guy we know nothing about, and a guy who was at Drexel....

Honestly the news since Friday of the NCAA tournament has been nothing short of a disaster for this program! Our hopes are hinging on a German guy we know nothing about, and a guy who was at Drexel....

Sometimes I wonder if we wouldn't all (myself included) be better off just taking a break from the Gopher recruiting peaks and valleys and shutting it down for a few months. Let's face it.....most of us know no more about Sam Freeman than we do about Isaiah Ihnen. We just know about the number of stars next to his name and somehow draw conclusions about the program and Pitino's recruiting based on highlight tapes and star counts. I need to golf more.

Lol. If you don't know anything about Ihnen, then how is the thought of getting him a disaster? According to 247, Demir also has interest from Kansas State, Arizona State, Butler, Florida, Georgetown, Pitt, USC, Missouri, and Washington State, but yes, the sky is falling since he played for Drexel.

Ihnen is very intriguing. Im hoping he commits and turns out to be better than other int'l projects like Matz Stockman, Bakary Konate, Moritz Bohringer and Tsuyoshi Nishioka

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom