Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

I got a chance to chat with some coaches that are connected to B1G recruiting this weekend. Some of this is confirmation about what we already know and some is new.
All agree that Sherfield will be a Gopher.
Crowley seems to be back in the mix. Don't know what are chances are, but it is good to know that he is still considering us. Sounds like he thought he was going to have his choice of Bluebloods, but they haven't been beating down the door yet. Ole Miss seems to have a slight lead over everyone.
We are in the mix for a good grad transfer big. I heard two different names, so Im not going to start some half truth rumor, but the good news is, we are in the mix for a decent big.

Great post Tommy. Question for you on the bigs: While I know you can't say the names, can you tell us if they are are banger types or stretch PFs?

I don’t feel good about Sherfield. Any program would love to steal a prospect like him this late in the recruiting cycle. I’m sure he’s impressed with Minnesota but I worry someone like Painter may swoop in tell Sherfield he can replace Edwards at Purdue

I wonder if Crowley, Williams and Sherfield can enroll early to do summer school and get in for individual workouts and the pro-am being prep school types.

I wonder if Crowley, Williams and Sherfield can enroll early to do summer school and get in for individual workouts and the pro-am being prep school types.

Virtually all incoming division 1 freshman enroll in the summer.

With as many as 5 more scholarships to fill, are pitino and staff thinking oh **** or hot damn?

I don't think anyone wants to fill 6 roster spots in one Spring recruiting cycle.

Great post Tommy. Question for you on the bigs: While I know you can't say the names, can you tell us if they are are banger types or stretch PFs?

Honestly, I have never seen either play in person, just highlight clips. According to stats, measurables and the clips I've seen, I would say more banger types. One coach said that one of the players is a nice fit for B1G ball.

I don’t feel good about Sherfield. Any program would love to steal a prospect like him this late in the recruiting cycle. I’m sure he’s impressed with Minnesota but I worry someone like Painter may swoop in tell Sherfield he can replace Edwards at Purdue

I kinda wonder how interested Purdue are in Sherfield. He hasn’t visited there yet I don’t think. There’s talk of Grant making a decision after his Wichita State visit which is apparently this week. But as far as Purdue, they already have a combo guard type in Eric Hunter, both a PG and SG committed in the 2019 class plus they are one of the favorites for combo guard LJ Cryer in the 2020 class so Purdue may end up looking at grad transfer guards but who knows. Feels like it’s down to us and Wichita State but time will tell.

Eastern will be their starting PG...no question

I got a chance to chat with some coaches that are connected to B1G recruiting this weekend. Some of this is confirmation about what we already know and some is new.
All agree that Sherfield will be a Gopher.
Crowley seems to be back in the mix. Don't know what are chances are, but it is good to know that he is still considering us. Sounds like he thought he was going to have his choice of Bluebloods, but they haven't been beating down the door yet. Ole Miss seems to have a slight lead over everyone.
We are in the mix for a good grad transfer big. I heard two different names, so Im not going to start some half truth rumor, but the good news is, we are in the mix for a decent big.

Not named Alex, right? Just saw he’s transferring from Wisconsin, even though he wasn’t officially on the roster for this past season

Last edited:

Not named Alex, right? Just saw he’s transferring from Wisconsin, even though he wasn’t officially on the roster for this past season

I can confirm that it is not Alex. At least he's not the name I heard. Crowley is a confirmed weekend visitor to Ole Miss

I can confirm that it is not Alex. At least he's not the name I heard. Crowley is a confirmed weekend visitor to Ole Miss

Regarding the names you heard regarding transfer bigs, are the initials of one of the names you heard SJ or JS?

Thank you TF. Any idea if the coaching staff are looking at guys who can play right away? I sure hope so, especially if curry is still hobbled next season.

Thank you TF. Any idea if the coaching staff are looking at guys who can play right away? I sure hope so, especially if curry is still hobbled next season.

The names I heard either have immediate eligibility or are working on it.

I would guess one is Simms...but just a guess

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm grateful for Tommy's judicious information, which sounds promising.

I appreciate your optimism, but I think some is overstated. I am with others in the "we can't count on anything from Curry" camp, and if we are, we are in trouble. Way too many questions. The freshman Freeman is a longer term prospect and expecting significant contributions from him next year is overly optimistic as well. An awful lot of pieces that are now scrambled have to come together to create a positive outlook for next year. Coffey coming back, getting Crowley and an impact big man, and Willis being able to give significant valuable minutes are among them. This is assuming we get Sherfield and Carr is as good as advertised. Too many "ifs" for my taste, but it will make for a low pressure season when the expectations will be low from the beginning.

My thoughts exactly. Assuming Amir is gone, we shouldn't have a lot of expectations, but there could be some moments and performances.

Regarding the names you heard regarding transfer bigs, are the initials of one of the names you heard SJ or JS?

Neither one is in the transfer portal
* I stand corrected. SJ is in the transfer portal

Last edited:

I see that Malik Ellison is back on the market. We were in the mix for him a few years back. He went to St Johns for 2 years then transferred to Pitt but sat out and is immediately eligible. 6-6 SF that can shoot 37.6 3 point %, averaged 10 a game. Only interesting if Coffey leaves...

I see that Malik Ellison is back on the market. We were in the mix for him a few years back. He went to St Johns for 2 years then transferred to Pitt but sat out and is immediately eligible. 6-6 SF that can shoot 37.6 3 point %, averaged 10 a game. Only interesting if Coffey leaves...

He was a Kimani recruit. I think he would only be interested if Coffey left as well

I have been able to verify one of the grad transfer forwards. Multiple sources have said we have been in contact with Shakur Juiston. Unfortunately, so has the rest of the country. Hopefully his relationship with Jeter will carry some weight. There are no concerns about his injured knee. He will be cleared in the near future for full workouts. One person I talked to is certain we will get strong consideration from Juiston
I have not found a second source to the second GT forward. The person I talked to seemed positive the Gophers had interest and a connection, but I can't find one. The second forward is Alihan Demir.

I have been able to verify one of the grad transfer forwards. Multiple sources have said we have been in contact with Shakur Juiston. Unfortunately, so has the rest of the country. Hopefully his relationship with Jeter will carry some weight. There are no concerns about his injured knee. He will be cleared in the near future for full workouts. One person I talked to is certain we will get strong consideration from Juiston
I have not found a second source to the second GT forward. The person I talked to seemed positive the Gophers had interest and a connection, but I can't find one. The second forward is Alihan Demir.

Thanks for the info. Both look like they would be nice additions. Fingers crossed - especially on Shakur.

Alihan Demir is a guy I like a lot.

6-9, 232 PF from Drexel so could probably play both the 4 and maybe 5.

Averaged 14.8 PPG, 6.4 RPG. Went 20-73 from 3 last year (27%) and 23-63 two years ago (36%) so he can definitely stretch the floor better than Murphy or Curry.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4279197/alihan-demir

I think most people know Juiston by now.

I think if we can get either guy I would project us to be a tourney team next year. It will close and we'd be on the bubble but I think it'd be a tourney team.

If we can get one of those guys and Amir comes back then I think we are a top 25 team.

Shakur has been around awhile. If he joins the gophers, he'll turn 24 when the Gophers play in the final 4 in 2020

I wonder if the Gophers will inquire about Jordan Brown from Nevada. Just announced he was transferring after his 1st year but he was a McDonalds All-American not long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alihan Demir is a guy I like a lot.

6-9, 232 PF from Drexel so could probably play both the 4 and maybe 5.

Averaged 14.8 PPG, 6.4 RPG. Went 20-73 from 3 last year (27%) and 23-63 two years ago (36%) so he can definitely stretch the floor better than Murphy or Curry.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4279197/alihan-demir

I think most people know Juiston by now.

Yeah, I know Juiston has been talked about. I just like to find out if there is some fire to the smoke before I say something.

I wonder if the Gophers will inquire about Jordan Brown from Nevada. Just announced he was transferring after his 1st year but he was a McDonalds All-American not long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thought...with all the transfers....first schools like Nevada, Virginia Tech, Cincy etc lose their coach. Is the new trend they lose all their better prospects too? As in, Brown to Arkansas etc

Top Bottom