Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

per the U:

Isaiah Ihnen Inks NLI with Gophers

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of Isaiah Ihnen, as the 6-9 forward from Boeblingen, Germany signed his National Letter of Intent to join the Gophers next season.

"We are very excited about the addition of Isaiah to our program," Pitino said. "He's extremely versatile on the court and can play multiple positions."

Ihnen is rated the No. 89-ranked prospect in the class of 2019 according to 247Sports, who also lists him as a four-star recruit. He is the second four-star recruit among the Gophers' signing class, joining fall signee Tre' Williams (Dallas, Texas/Wasatch Academy [Utah]).

This past season, Ihnen played for the International Basketball Academy Munich (IBAM) team, where he averaged 13.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks per game while shooting 54.3 percent from the field and 35.2 percent from beyond the 3-point arc. Ihnen is the team's top rebounder, second-leading shot blocker and third-leading scorer.

"His potential is off the charts," Pitino added. "We expect Isaiah to come in and make a great impact on and off the court right when he steps on campus."

Ihnen adds to the recruiting class that includes Williams and Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas/Northwest HS), along with fellow newcomers Marcus Carr (Toronto, Ontario/Montverde Academy) and Payton Willis (Fayetteville, Ark./Fayetteville), who redshirted the 2018-19 season after transferring from Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt, respectively.

Go Gophers!!

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without the Hauser brothers, I don’t think that looks like a great team. They are a huge loss. Howard is the only guy that is a real scorer there - I see our potential lineups being equal to theirs, and would take our potential lineups over theirs even without Amir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do add Koby McEwen next year. He was the Mountain West freshman of the year for Utah State and then averaged 15 points per game his sophomore season a year ago. That's a pretty big addition. Still think the Gophers will be better if Coffey returns, but Marquette will still be an NCAA tournament team.

Fans will have to get used the fact that from now on, we will have the depth of a top tier team. Just because some players aren’t starting doesn’t mean that they are bad players.

We need players to gain experience in order to compete with the teams that get the 5 star freshman. With a larger rotation, we will just reload each year.

I think you're on to something there. I think what we're (hopefully) witnessing is the creation of talented depth.

You don't have to hit recruiting home runs year after year. But you do need consistently solid recruiting.

FWIW, our class rankings under Pitino (as per 247):

2013: #91 nationally, #11 B1G
2014: #64, #9
2015: #34, #6
2016: #30, #5
2017: #71, #11
2018: #45, #8
2019*: #36, #5

I don't put a tremendous amount of faith in recruit rankings, but they can provide some insight. To me, this suggests we're building a foundation which should be capable of competing for a spot among the top 6 schools in the B1G.

JTG

I think you're on to something there. I think what we're (hopefully) witnessing is the creation of talented depth.

You don't have to hit recruiting home runs year after year. But you do need consistently solid recruiting.

FWIW, our class rankings under Pitino (as per 247):

2013: #91 nationally, #11 B1G
2014: #64, #9
2015: #34, #6
2016: #30, #5
2017: #71, #11
2018: #45, #8
2019*: #36, #5

I don't put a tremendous amount of faith in recruit rankings, but they can provide some insight. To me, this suggests we're building a foundation which should be capable of competing for a spot among the top 6 schools in the B1G.

JTG

and hopefully he capitalizes on the in state talent for next year and we see another solid ranking

unfortunately recruits only have a shelf life of about 3 years. And that shelf life gets longer the worse they are.

and hopefully he capitalizes on the in state talent for next year and we see another solid ranking

With you on this...Consistent top 50-60 classes is what I want to see and a couple of the 5 in state players next year would meet that. 60 may seem low but the ranking will depend on the number of recruits we take each year. Obviously its rankings not how they will pan out but its still an indicator.

With you on this...Consistent top 50-60 classes is what I want to see and a couple of the 5 in state players next year would meet that. 60 may seem low but the ranking will depend on the number of recruits we take each year. Obviously its rankings not how they will pan out but its still an indicator.

Looks to me like consistently being among the top 40 recruiting classes should be expected ... although I completely agree that's only an indicator.

JTG

It just feels like he is looking for a place where he is more certain he will start. No knock on him. I still hope we get him....but.

It just feels like he is looking for a place where he is more certain he will start. No knock on him. I still hope we get him....but.

Well, perhaps his chances of starting are a bit better at Kansas State. They have one proven big man returning and, although they have depth in the front court, the rest are suspect. They also have one incoming but he's not a particularly illustrious recruit. We have a similar situation (one proven big man returning with the rest suspect) but we just got a commitment from a fairly highly rated recruit who is almost guaranteed to play significant minutes unless he's highly overrated. Both teams have small forwards who are locks to start (assuming the likely event that ours returns).

I wouldn't say his chances of starting are "certain" at either school. Perhaps other environmental factors will play a significant part. He is an international student. International students are a very important segment of university populations these days (many universities would be in serious financial trouble without them). U of M is estimated to be about 9% international; KSU is about 5%. Of course, it is hard to know without more information where these students originate. Maybe just having a larger contingent of Turkish students could be a factor.

Demir would start here. His overall skill set looks solid. He can do a little bit of everything looks like a good passer dribbles with his head should be able to feed the post quite nicely.

Since Demir can step out and be effective from 3, he could be a HUGE difference maker here. By only having Oturu in the lane on offense the defense would be stretched to defend and this would open up opportunities all over the floor for drives and kick-outs to the perimeter. Of course this is all contingent on making our shots at a better clip than last year.

I really hope we get him.

Demir would start here. His overall skill set looks solid. He can do a little bit of everything looks like a good passer dribbles with his head should be able to feed the post quite nicely.

This is a skill we've really been lacking, and one I'd personally love to see.

Since Demir can step out and be effective from 3, he could be a HUGE difference maker here. By only having Oturu in the lane on offense the defense would be stretched to defend and this would open up opportunities all over the floor for drives and kick-outs to the perimeter. Of course this is all contingent on making our shots at a better clip than last year.

I really hope we get him.

He was 27.4% from 3 this past season on 73 attempts. So he hoisted up a couple 3's per game but is that effective? Some coaches might choose to double the post off him, leave him open for a reason. So, I agree we need a big but I don't think he's a savior.

He was 27.4% from 3 this past season on 73 attempts. So he hoisted up a couple 3's per game but is that effective? Some coaches might choose to double the post off him, leave him open for a reason. So, I agree we need a big but I don't think he's a savior.

He did shoot 36.5% as a sophomore though and had more makes on fewer attempts. Hopefully we get something closer to that if he comes here. Either way, he is more of a threat from 3 than Murphy, Curry or Omersa.

He did shoot 36.5% as a sophomore though and had more makes on fewer attempts. Hopefully we get something closer to that if he comes here. Either way, he is more of a threat from 3 than Murphy, Curry or Omersa.

Yeah, I'm guessing the staff feels he'll shoot better this year. I haven't watched any clips..

And he is a big threat upgrade from three compared to Murphy, Curry or Omersa. No doubt.

I'm hopeful he is eventually a Gopher, but if we could discover someone better that'd be cooler. :cool02:

I think Ihnen is a guard...so my take is we traded Sherfield for Ihnen and I think it's a win. I'm guessing we wanted both but ....

I'd like Juiston to magically decide to be a Gopher, for instance.

Does demir want to play with Coffey or he wants coffeys minutes?

In the interview Drexel is hoping that Amir returns. He thinks the U should be a top 25 school to start the season with both of them on the team.

Maybe Demir and Amir can play their senior year at the U and then team up again together in Turkey afterwards.

per Sid:

• Give Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino credit as he now has the fifth-best recruiting class in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports, after signing Isaiah Ihnen out of Germany. The Gophers still have a shot at Myron Gardner, a 6-6 small forward out of Detroit who has offers from Cincinnati, Xavier and Georgetown.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...inale-proved-to-be-a-turning-point/509170382/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom