Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

Only if you can't get a grad transfer. Keep in mind there's at least a 50/50 shot we'll have another one to fill.

In theory right now Pitino should be able to put out a bunch of feelers to any grad transfer guard who wants to come in here. You should be able to find a low major/mid major pg who can come in and give you 10-15 minutes if you need it. Reality is if Coffey is back, you'll have him, Carr and Willis who can handle the ball despite only Carr being the true PG. You'd really only need this grad transfer pg if there is an injury. The other option is a grad transfer center to handle a potential Stockman role where he plays if Curry isn't healthy. I still don't think you can count on Curry but I do think Oturu/Omersa/Freeman/Demir can handle the minutes at the 5 if needed. You'll have some problems against Iowa/Purdue/Michigan of course but if Curry is healthy you're fine and have plenty of bodies.

In theory right now Pitino should be able to put out a bunch of feelers to any grad transfer guard who wants to come in here. You should be able to find a low major/mid major pg who can come in and give you 10-15 minutes if you need it. Reality is if Coffey is back, you'll have him, Carr and Willis who can handle the ball despite only Carr being the true PG. You'd really only need this grad transfer pg if there is an injury. The other option is a grad transfer center to handle a potential Stockman role where he plays if Curry isn't healthy. I still don't think you can count on Curry but I do think Oturu/Omersa/Freeman/Demir can handle the minutes at the 5 if needed. You'll have some problems against Iowa/Purdue/Michigan of course but if Curry is healthy you're fine and have plenty of bodies.

You mean kind of like Gonzaga did this year with that kid from North Dakota.... I can't remember his name. Some one that can fill in a few minutes incase of an emergency.

You mean kind of like Gonzaga did this year with that kid from North Dakota.... I can't remember his name. Some one that can fill in a few minutes incase of an emergency.

Out of curiosity, where did you (or where do you) attend college? How about your kids (if you have any)?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

“I was looking to go to a program where there is a huge opening in my position,” Demir told the Star Tribune. “A good team that has a good chance making it to the [NCAA] tournament and having a chance to make a run in the tournament. But most importantly I was looking for the right fit.”

There are big shoes to fill at power forward after Pitino lost All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy to graduation. Murphy finished his career as the school’s all-time leading rebounder and No. 2 in scoring. Demir is more of a versatile forward with the ability to play on the perimeter and score in the low post.

“[Murphy] averaged over 30 minutes and is graduating,” said Demir, who might replace Murphy as a frontcourt starter. “There is a need in that spot, but nothing is promised.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-add-grad-transfer-in-drexel-s-alihan-demir/509403061/

Go Gophers!!

I'm very relieved that we plugged in the frontcourt hole. Hopefully we can get/stay healthy and will have solid depth up front. I'm also hopeful that Amir sees the possibility of a strong team (and more open lane) where he can potentially showcase his talents in big games in March.

That being said, who's next? I'd feel a lot better if we had another true point guard in case of foul trouble or injury. Is Kareem South still a possibility? Anyone else of note in the mix?

One more "Pollyanna" moment: Building a quality roster that's constructed to compete with the top teams in the B1G has to raise the eyebrows of our 2020 recruits, right? RIGHT?!?

Ski-U-Mah.

Last edited:

I'm very relieved that we plugged in the frontcourt hole. Hopefully we can get/stay healthy and will have solid depth up front. I'm also hopeful that Amir sees the possibility of a strong team (and more open lane) where he can potentially showcase his talents in big games in March.

That being said, who's next? I'd feel a lot better if we had another true point guard in case of foul trouble or injury. Is Kareem South still a possibility? Anyone else of note in the mix?

One more "Pollyanna" moment: Building a quality roster that's constructed to compete with the top teams in the B1G has to raise the eyebrows of our 2020 recruits, right? RIGHT?!?

Ski-U-Mah.

kareem south would be solid

Ski-U-Mah.

yup that would look real good to the 2020 recruits! but IMO for that to happen we need Amir to come back! so selfishly for this team, I hope he does come back. I think we are a top 5 team in the conference.

yup that would look real good to the 2020 recruits! but IMO for that to happen we need Amir to come back! so selfishly for this team, I hope he does come back. I think we are a top 5 team in the conference.

I want Amir back badly. However, we are not going to play another game before the locals (at least most of them) sign an LOI. So I think the important thing for them is that we show that we have built a strong roster that they can join and be part of. I think that this spring was huge for Pitino because he had a weak class going and he turned it into an upper half of the Big Ten class.

These guys in 2020 will know that they have a chance to join a team that has a solid young core of really good talent:

Carr/Oturu/Ihnen/Gabe/Freeman/Williams- all Sophs and frosh with great potential. We have a great opportunity at PF and PG to be part of a strong Big Ten team and certainly the players in the MN 2020 class fit those slots well!

Okay. Got it. Now I remember. If you can get a guy like that, you take him. Is there any chance at all?

Looking at his finalist list from before, I'd say no possible way. It seems that UNC, Memphis or maybe a Cali (USC?) school will be his landing spot.

Does anyone have any ideas (or a list) of grad transfer PG's or CG's we've been in contact with this spring? I'm sure there's lots of hustling happening behind the scenes for a quality grad transfer while also putting in work for future classes. I'm anxious to know what the roster will look like next season. (Even though we'll have to wait a bit longer on Amir.)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This would be sweet!

But when do we border on getting too much talent for the available playing time? Let's say we sign Kobe and Amir comes back. Here's the depth chart: (no particular order)

PG: Carr
SG: Kalesheur/Willis/Williams
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Ihnen
PF: Demir/Curry/Brown/Omersa
C: Oturu/Freeman

Ihnen, Brown and Williams all are considered 4* players on various recruiting sites and those types of players expect a little PT. Kalesheur, Coffey and Oturu played a pretty "Iron 5" level of minutes last year and may very well chafe at less PT. Something may have to give going forward with possibly only Demir and Coffey graduating out.

I would expect more transfers and maybe a little "Creaning" to make room for 2020 guys. Like, I wouldn't be surprised to see Curry Grad transfer.

Last edited:

If we get Brown and Coffey does not come back we would still have great front-court depth, especially at the 3/4 spot.

Different team, but did anyone else notice Wisconsin is down to nine scholarship players. I know they usually have a couple decent walk-ons, but that can't be good for depth or running practice

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This would be sweet!

But when do we border on getting too much talent for the available playing time? Let's say we sign Kobe and Amir comes back. Here's the depth chart: (no particular order)

PG: Carr
SG: Kalesheur/Willis/Williams
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Ihnen
PF: Demir/Curry/Brown/Omersa
C: Oturu/Freeman

Ihnen, Brown and Williams all are considered 4* players on various recruiting sites and those types of players expect a little PT. Kalesheur, Coffey and Oturu played a pretty "Iron 5" level of minutes last year and may very well chafe at less PT. Something may have to give going forward with possibly only Demir and Coffey graduating out.

I would expect more transfers and maybe a little "Creaning" to make room for 2020 guys. Like, I wouldn't be surprised to see Curry Grad transfer.

Hurt will also be graduating next year.

Different team, but did anyone else notice Wisconsin is down to nine scholarship players. I know they usually have a couple decent walk-ons, but that can't be good for depth or running practice

Hausers!

If you include Tyler Wahl that makes it 10. There are also 3-4 walk-ons.

He'd be a good back up guard. Good defense and ability to create shots for others.

might be best case scenario. Give a guy a chance to play in big ten. Pitino teams always get injured, so a grad transfer is going to get clock

Top Bottom