Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

Heard a rumor that there is a previously highly touted point guard out of New York that could be on the roster soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard a rumor that there is a previously highly touted point guard out of New York that could be on the roster soon?

We need some more tantalizing details on this. At least whether they are a grad transfer or regular transfer?

Jahvon Quinerly (transferring from Nova) is on the market and was a 5-star out of the NYC area. But with his membership in the Jelly Fam (and I would assume close relationship with Washington), this would be a truly crazy turn of events for him to end up with the Gophers. Also, Quinerly would def have to be a sit-out transfer...I think.

We need some more tantalizing details on this. At least whether they are a grad transfer or regular transfer?

Jahvon Quinerly (transferring from Nova) is on the market and was a 5-star out of the NYC area. But with his membership in the Jelly Fam (and I would assume close relationship with Washington), this would be a truly crazy turn of events for him to end up with the Gophers. Also, Quinerly would def have to be a sit-out transfer...I think.

I read a long article on the payola trial, and Quinerly's name comes up. I think it was Arizona that was involved in putting up cash for him to go there. When that became public he changed directions to Villanova. Not sure I'm in favor of bringing in guys with that kind of cloud at this time. Besides, we need a power forward. Desperately.

Dalano Banton’s the only highly touted New Yorker that makes sense. Spent one year at Western Kentucky and is transferring. Had a Gopher offer. There’s been some talk about him taking visits (including to Nebraska) so we’ll see what happens..

Highly doubt Quinerly would come to MN. He and IW were close friends in NY, jellyfam and all. On IW's youtube channel he has many videos of he and Quinerly working out together. Would be surprised if Quinerly came here after how it worked out for IW.

Dalano Banton’s the only highly touted New Yorker that makes sense. Spent one year at Western Kentucky and is transferring. Had a Gopher offer. There’s been some talk about him taking visits (including to Nebraska) so we’ll see what happens..

I wouldnt consider someone who averaged 3 ppg at western kentucky highly regarded

I wouldnt consider someone who averaged 3 ppg at western kentucky highly regarded

To be fair, I think the post said "previously highly-touted." It appears Banton was a top 100 recruit and I think it's fair to say that would qualify as highly touted

The two ways the Banton thing makes sense is because he's originally from Toronto so there's a possibility of a connection to Carr. The other would be if he is immediately eligible. Didn't they just change the rule that players transferring from a school where the coach was fired are now immediately eligible?

The two ways the Banton thing makes sense is because he's originally from Toronto so there's a possibility of a connection to Carr. The other would be if he is immediately eligible. Didn't they just change the rule that players transferring from a school where the coach was fired are now immediately eligible?

Yeah sounds like they did change the rule but Stansbury is still at WKU so Banton would probably be a sit 1, play 3. Looks like he’s actually grown to 6’8 since HS so maybe a little similar to Amir with his lanky frame and guard skills. If it is Banton, you would obviously prefer he be available next year but not the worst thing to have him sit with hopefully Coffey coming back and Hurt able to spell him a bit (obviously Ihnen is an option too). Would take some pressure off finding a true wing in the 2020 class too.

Yeah sounds like they did change the rule but Stansbury is still at WKU so Banton would probably be a sit 1, play 3. Looks like he’s actually grown to 6’8 since HS so maybe a little similar to Amir with his lanky frame and guard skills. If it is Banton, you would obviously prefer he be available next year but not the worst thing to have him sit with hopefully Coffey coming back and Hurt able to spell him a bit (obviously Ihnen is an option too). Would take some pressure off finding a true wing in the 2020 class too.

Good info. For some reason, I was thinking WKU had a coaching change.

Demir would be a nice get. On paper at least. Can’t say I watched a ton of Drexel this year.

What about someone who averaged 12 ppg at Drexel?

I would if they averaged 14.8 PPG and 6.4 RPG at Drexel, took an OV to the regular season Big 12 champs and heard from 40 D1 schools including Georgetown, Florida, Marquette, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Pitt, Arkansas, Arizona State, Nebraska, USC, Butler and UNLV.

RJ saying over on GI Demir is expected to announce "soon." Pitino is visiting him today.

Nothing official but all signs point to him being a Gopher. Looking like within the next 24 hours.

Good lord this makes me nervous, if we get him I like our floor on the season a heck of a lot better

He said he is from a big city but that isn't a huge factor in his decision since its only 10-11 months. However, I'd guess it plays a larger part subconsciously.

Do you want to be another guy at KSU or a legend here? Wait...doesn't apply.

COME BE A GOPHER!

Good lord this makes me nervous, if we get him I like our floor on the season a heck of a lot better

I do too but we all know the grad transfers outside of a few elites are a bit of a crap shoot. I remember just last spring being very excited about a quality shooter from Milwaukee that would bring stability to the perimeter game. Didn't really work out as planned. Northwestern had two grad transfers this year that were highly recruited and both struggled. I hope he comes and it works as he fills a gaping hole, but no guarantees.

He said he is from a big city but that isn't a huge factor in his decision since its only 10-11 months. However, I'd guess it plays a larger part subconsciously.

Do you want to be another guy at KSU or a legend here? Wait...doesn't apply.

COME BE A GOPHER!

This is funny because when i was choosing between 2 schools to play baseball, it came down to minnesota and kansas state. Im from chicago and the big city definately played a factor. I just couldnt see myself in manhattan kansas. Hopefully he has same thought process.

I do too but we all know the grad transfers outside of a few elites are a bit of a crap shoot. I remember just last spring being very excited about a quality shooter from Milwaukee that would bring stability to the perimeter game. Didn't really work out as planned. Northwestern had two grad transfers this year that were highly recruited and both struggled. I hope he comes and it works as he fills a gaping hole, but no guarantees.

At the very least he offers a cushioned fall if Curry is not 100%. Would 100% Curry be better than Demir?

Demir doesn't need to be spectacular. Though it be great if he was. If he can be Joey King, I think that would compliment the rest of the bigs well. I think between Demir, Curry and Omersa you have three guys capable of giving at least fifteen minutes a game, Hurt can give spot minutes as well. There's enough there to get it done by committee

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Demir doesn't need to be spectacular. Though it be great if he was. If he can be Joey King, I think that would compliment the rest of the bigs well. I think between Demir, Curry and Omersa you have three guys capable of giving at least fifteen minutes a game, Hurt can give spot minutes as well. There's enough there to get it done by committee

I’d be very happy if Demir played at the level King did his senior year. We weren’t very good when Joey was one of our top two scorers but If he was our 5th leading scorer, we’d have been pretty good.

I’d be very happy if Demir played at the level King did his senior year. We weren’t very good when Joey was one of our top two scorers but If he was our 5th leading scorer, we’d have been pretty good.

Yeah always thought Joey would be a great bench piece. Been nice to have had him last year

Agreed. I don't think anyone is looking for spectacular. The Joey King references are interesting. If he replicates Joey's heart and shooting ability, I would be ecstatic. But we need a guy who can bang it inside, and Joey could not do that. If Curry and Omersa can improve, stay healthy, and mix it up inside, we'll be good. If not, I think we're in trouble. Demir is more than an insurance policy, though. He has to be a little more.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is looking for spectacular. The Joey King references are interesting. If he replicates Joey's heart and shooting ability, I would be ecstatic. But we need a guy who can bang it inside, and Joey could not do that. If Curry and Omersa can improve, stay healthy, and mix it up inside, we'll be good. If not, I think we're in trouble. Demir is more than an insurance policy, though. He has to be a little more.

Yeah, I'd consider Curry to be more of insurance to Demir than Demir being insurance for Curry.

He needs to play better defense than King and rebound better, but if he shoots like King- that would be fantastic.

Top Bottom