Shama: Jerry Kill plans on being in Mpls for Final 4, will visit with friends he made

Really too bad what happened with Jerry. Hope that he can rise above a bit and mend some fences and rebuild some bridges.

"The Johnson family motored to La Crosse Friday evening where they enjoyed a fish dinner with their relatives, the Swensons of Onalaska."

Hey - I worked for a weekly paper in SE MN in 1978 & '79 - and we still ran those reports. We called them "coorespondents," but the unofficial name was the "gossip ladies." And people read the paper for that stuff every week.

That's good stuff.

In this day and age they should include photos too ;)

Call it socia--- facebook or something.

And as far as police reports -

had one yesterday - police called to a local neighborhood at 7:45 in the morning on a report of an intoxicated person threatening people with a metal object. After investigating, charges are pending against a 33-year-old woman for assault in the 5th degree."

Can't beat being drunk at 7:45 in the morning. Ah, the good old days.

That's me for every d@mn 11am kickoff :drink::drink:

The best police report log ever is the one from the "Arcata Eye" in Arcata, California. It's a small town in northern California and a place that has more than its share of "colorful people." Link to some of their better reports: http://www.arcataeye.com/category/police-log/

Mayberry, RFD.

I hope Jerry Kill and the folks at the U can mend fences. He did a lot for pushing the Athletic Village project after Woody fumbled it away.

I grew up in a small town and the townships around the small town all had a columnist that would contribute those types of stories to the small town paper. Something like "Mrs. Norma Nelson's third cousin's granddaughter who is a member of the Timberwolves danceline stopped by for coffee last Wednesday."

To the story at hand, if Barbara Flanagan were still alive, I am sure she would have scooped Shama on this.

My small town newspaper had news by township every week. I can only remember two: Liberty and Grant townships. It was exactly like 50Pound said, only it always added this vital piece of information: "coffee was served and Patsy Jungjohan poured"

Really too bad what happened with Jerry. Hope that he can rise above a bit and mend some fences and rebuild some bridges.

Had Jerry just been willing to keep his mouth shut he would have been remembered for all the good things he did here. Now he is just a bitter ex-coach who clearly bears a lot of ill will towards a school that plucked him from obscurity and supported him through numerous health issues.

The only one that needs to rise above anything at this point is Kill and that seems highly unlikely to happen at this point. He is who he is, he just isn't the guy he pretended to be while he was coaching.

Many people are not like their public persona, maybe most. JK may have had a bad day when he lashed out but I’m a bit disappointed he hasn’t issued an apology even if he feels legitimately wronged. I suppose it’s human nature to hoist up your cross, embrace the martyrdom complex and have blinders on to anything else going on or how other people may feel. We see that all the time and are probably all guilty at times.

That's me for every d@mn 11am kickoff :drink drunk again

She rolled over and said “drunk again”. I said how’d you know? She said “ you’re in the wrong house again” . That’s what happens in my neighborhood.
You are absolutely correct. Kill has burnt to many bridges. He is not welcome. Please, just go away.

Jerry Kill has friends? I just assumed he was all about himself.

JubGVI2.gif

I hope he doesn’t expect a ticket-tape parade.

It is such a shame. Minnesota gave him his shot at big time college football, made him a rich man, fixed his teeth and treated him with respect. The fans liked him. He had to go ahead and let his ego throw up all over his reputation. Now he is looked upon like Norm Greed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish Jerry hadn't had a little melt down concerning PJ, but all in all I will focus on all the positives he brought to our program. I hold no grudge towards Coach Kill. In a perfect world I wish that PJ and Jerry could have a "clear the air" talk and make amends. Unfortunately, egos are running high and the chances of Jerry Kill and Gopher Football ever making up are slim.

Fleck is the future of this program, Kill should have embraced that and basked in his successes and the contributions he made at Minnesota.

I wish Jerry hadn't had a little melt down concerning PJ, but all in all I will focus on all the positives he brought to our program. I hold no grudge towards Coach Kill. In a perfect world I wish that PJ and Jerry could have a "clear the air" talk and make amends. Unfortunately, egos are running high and the chances of Jerry Kill and Gopher Football ever making up are slim.

Fleck is the future of this program, Kill should have embraced that and basked in his successes and the contributions he made at Minnesota.

An excellent example is how Mason is still connected to the program and hasn’t gotten petty about what happened in the past. PJ has taken the high road. It is all on Kill to mend the bridges, he was the one who keeps throwing the torches.

That appears to be the central issue. I really don't think it's about Fleck. It is about trashing Kill and staff by others (AD Coyle mainly) and making it appear that Fleck lifted Minnesota from the ashes. We are not talking the end of the Salem era here.

Fleck is doing well and continuing to move the program in the right direction. He has my support. I don't think that stops me from appreciating what Kill did here though.

BTW Mason wasn't sending warm fuzzies Brewsters way either.

An excellent example is how Mason is still connected to the program and hasn’t gotten petty about what happened in the past. PJ has taken the high road. It is all on Kill to mend the bridges, he was the one who keeps throwing the torches.

Like I posted below, Mason wasn't exactly warm toward Brewster either. I think it's somewhat natural.

Reminds me of the old social news you'd see in rural papers about how some family went to another family's house and had dinner.

When I was a youngster, it was written in our local paper about the time my mom and I drove all the way down to Bloomington to visit my sister, who had just moved to "the Cities". It also mentioned we stopped at the Lion's Tap on our drive home and enjoyed the tastiest burgers we've ever had. I felt like a celebrity for about a week.

Don’t forget the axe!;1723071 said:
#BrickbyBrick

How dare a coach come up with a slogan and then incorporate it into the uniform!?

When I was a youngster, it was written in our local paper about the time my mom and I drove all the way down to Bloomington to visit my sister, who had just moved to "the Cities". It also mentioned we stopped at the Lion's Tap on our drive home and enjoyed the tastiest burgers we've ever had. I felt like a celebrity for about a week.

It's just so wholesome.

I hope Sid Hartman, in one of his last lifely good deeds to the State of Minnesota, brings together Kill and Fleck, and plays role of mediator to get those two in-line and over their differences.

Sid is the only one who could do this.

Sid Hartman = Peacemaker

This is what happens when people f**k up and actually tell the truth.

I would bet that there are a lot of coaches who don't like certain people - other coaches, AD's, you name it. but they would never admit it on the record. when the mics are on, they go with the typical bland platitudes.

For some reason, Kill was mad enough or careless enough that he broke the code and told the truth about his feelings toward Fleck.

And people are shocked - shocked - that one coach (or former coach) admitted publicly that he doesn't like another coach. The horror, the horror.

It would be interesting if real life was like that bad Jim Carrey movie, and everyone had to tell the absolute truth. Just imagine what Coyle and Claeys would say about each other. (and when Coyle really started talking to Fleck's agent......)

Life would be a lot messier, but in some ways we might be better off if everyone had to tell the truth, and we all knew how we really stood. I would probably be out of a job, because If I told my boss what I really thought about her, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat. The point being is that virtually everyone lies, or at least conceals the truth, on a daily basis. to the point where, when someone actually says what they really think or feel, we're shocked.

It’s worked well for DJT...and his detractors.

Not sure how many short ornery Scandinavian radio/sports journalists are in SW MN but I sure hope your boss doesn’t read that last part -ha ha. Liar Liar is a comedy classic.

I would bet that there are a lot of coaches who don't like certain people - other coaches, AD's, you name it. but they would never admit it on the record. when the mics are on, they go with the typical bland platitudes.

For some reason, Kill was mad enough or careless enough that he broke the code and told the truth about his feelings toward Fleck.

And people are shocked - shocked - that one coach (or former coach) admitted publicly that he doesn't like another coach. The horror, the horror.
All Kill had to do was say he didn't want to discuss their relationship or that there are some things Fleck does that he does not care for and leave it at that. Or he simply could say he does not care for Fleck. The "horror" is when people in his type of position (S. Ill. AD) feel it necessary to elaborate when he already made his position known. The fact that he went on to say more and what he said was really classless and reflected poorly on him, the institution he represents, and him as a leader.

All Kill had to do was say he didn't want to discuss their relationship

Actually, he needed to do far less than that. Jerry basically begged them to ask the question. The hosts had zero intention to ask the question originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I was very disappointed in Coach Kills comments, as I have followed his career going back to his Saginaw days and was excited when the U of M hired him. Coach Kill should be very appreciative of the opportunity to coach a Power 5 program in the Big Ten and leave it at that. I am sympathetic to the health issues he has faced but that does not give him the right to back stab the University and its head coach, regardless of what his feelings toward him are. Period!

Last edited:

It would be interesting if real life was like that bad Jim Carrey movie, and everyone had to tell the absolute truth. Just imagine what Coyle and Claeys would say about each other. (and when Coyle really started talking to Fleck's agent......)

Life would be a lot messier, but in some ways we might be better off if everyone had to tell the truth, and we all knew how we really stood. I would probably be out of a job, because If I told my boss what I really thought about her, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat. The point being is that virtually everyone lies, or at least conceals the truth, on a daily basis. to the point where, when someone actually says what they really think or feel, we're shocked.

If Jerry had to tell the "absolute truth" it would be more like:

You know I knew him a while back but really haven't had much contact with him, so I really don't know.

That's what the truth would be.

Sour grapes and gossip isn't "truth" that's just how Jerry feels.

If Jerry had to tell the "absolute truth" it would be more like:

You know I knew him a while back but really haven't had much contact with him, so I really don't know.

That's what the truth would be.

Sour grapes and gossip isn't "truth" that's just how Jerry feels.

Bingo

I hope Sid Hartman, in one of his last lifely good deeds to the State of Minnesota, brings together Kill and Fleck, and plays role of mediator to get those two in-line and over their differences.

Sid is the only one who could do this.

Sid Hartman = Peacemaker

What is the point? We are over Kill, maybe he should get over us and just move on.

Top Bottom