Shama: Jerry Kill plans on being in Mpls for Final 4, will visit with friends he made

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill, now athletic director at Southern Illinois, will be in Minneapolis next week for the Final Four and plans to see friends he made here from 2011-2015.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'm guessing none of those meetings will be on the UofM campus, since he said he would never go there again.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. if jerry is coming back and meeting with friends he made while he was here, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of those friends are former gopher players. he helps boys turn into men and football is his vehicle. some of his former players are likely now friends.

When I read the headline, all I see is; "Jerry Kill plans on being in Mpls, will visit with the 4 friends he made".

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

Perhaps the current and former coaches will have adjoining seats or meet in the popcorn line. Keep your phones handy.

Interesting story. I presume the trip will be a little longer than in the past, given the detours around a burned bridge or two.

Jer still has friends here? Figured he would've burned every bridge possible by now. I suppose the "aw shucks" bit still works on some people, though

Reminds me of the old social news you'd see in rural papers about how some family went to another family's house and had dinner.

I grew up in a small town and the townships around the small town all had a columnist that would contribute those types of stories to the small town paper. Something like "Mrs. Norma Nelson's third cousin's granddaughter who is a member of the Timberwolves danceline stopped by for coffee last Wednesday."

To the story at hand, if Barbara Flanagan were still alive, I am sure she would have scooped Shama on this.

Last edited:

Between the comments about the trip being longer around the burned bridges and the final four friends, this discussion turned out to be way better than I anticipated.

I grew up in a small town and the townships around the small town all had a columnist that would contribute those types of stories to the small town paper. Something like "Mrs. Norma Nelson's third cousin's granddaughter who is a member of the Timberwolves danceline stopped by for coffee last Wednesday."

To the story at hand, if Barbara Flanagan were still alive, I am sure she would have scooped Shama on this.

I feel kinda nostalgic for that kind of community news.

I love small town newspapers. The old social section, with visits by relatives from out of the area described in too much detail - was always a fun read. Even more fun (and still can be found) is the law enforcement reports.

My all time favorite report from right here in Southern MN was one that started out looking like it was actually newsworthy, as it appeared in between the usual reports of cattle being out of their fences, kids being told not to ride their bikes in that location, and complaints about barking dogs. It sounded quite serious as the report described a situation where a call came in telling of someone breaking through the ice on the local lake. In stunning detail the report went on to list all the emergency services that were dispatched to the scene: Local police, Sherrif, the town rescue vehicle, fire department, and the local ambulance. Then quite suddenly the writing came to a sudden end as it described the emergency personnel upon arrival discovered the person that hadn't broken through the ice, and was actually just ice fishing on his knees. On to the next entry - law enforcment telling local man to turn down his music.

I love small town newspapers. The old social section, with visits by relatives from out of the area described in too much detail - was always a fun read. Even more fun (and still can be found) is the law enforcement reports.

My all time favorite report from right here in Southern MN was one that started out looking like it was actually newsworthy, as it appeared in between the usual reports of cattle being out of their fences, kids being told not to ride their bikes in that location, and complaints about barking dogs. It sounded quite serious as the report described a situation where a call came in telling of someone breaking through the ice on the local lake. In stunning detail the report went on to list all the emergency services that were dispatched to the scene: Local police, Sherrif, the town rescue vehicle, fire department, and the local ambulance. Then quite suddenly the writing came to a sudden end as it described the emergency personnel upon arrival discovered the person that hadn't broken through the ice, and was actually just ice fishing on his knees. On to the next entry - law enforcment telling local man to turn down his music.

The best police report log ever is the one from the "Arcata Eye" in Arcata, California. It's a small town in northern California and a place that has more than its share of "colorful people." Link to some of their better reports: http://www.arcataeye.com/category/police-log/

Reminds me of the old social news you'd see in rural papers about how some family went to another family's house and had dinner.

You just summarized Shama's entire "journalistic career." Fluff information that no one cares about but you'd see as legitimate reporting in some town where the target market eats this up

Old news? I still see it in the local paper back home. Honestly, it's the best part sometimes.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. if jerry is coming back and meeting with friends he made while he was here, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of those friends are former gopher players. he helps boys turn into men and football is his vehicle. some of his former players are likely now friends.

Ol’ Jer is now reached perpetual jerk status. It’s in his blood.

Last edited:

Maybe Coyle is interviewing him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Coyle is interviewing him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, you've got it wrong. Joan Gabel is interviewing Kill to replace Coyle. He's going to be Fleck's new boss.

The best police report log ever is the one from the "Arcata Eye" in Arcata, California. It's a small town in northern California and a place that has more than its share of "colorful people." Link to some of their better reports: http://www.arcataeye.com/category/police-log/

In my old hometown's paper, one of the deputies was a smart-a** (in a good way) and he used to write up the police report. Reports like, "Children were harassing the swans at Riverbend Park. They were told to stop."

But the clincher went something like this:

"On Tuesday evening at 11:30 PM, police were called to a house on 6th street to investigate a noise complaint. Occupant was told to turn down the stereo.

Next entry:

Early Wednesday morning at 12:15 AM, police were called to a house on 6th street to investigate a noise complaint. Occupant was told to turn down the stereo.

Next entry:

Early Wednesday morning at 1:15 AM, police were called to a house on 6th street to investigate a noise complaint. People were told to disperse and occupant was told to turn the stereo down.

Next entry:

Early Wednesday morning at 2:00 AM, police were called to a house on 6th street to investigate a noise complaint. Police confiscated stereo from residence.

Last edited:

"The Johnson family motored to La Crosse Friday evening where they enjoyed a fish dinner with their relatives, the Swensons of Onalaska."

Hey - I worked for a weekly paper in SE MN in 1978 & '79 - and we still ran those reports. We called them "coorespondents," but the unofficial name was the "gossip ladies." And people read the paper for that stuff every week.

And as far as police reports -

had one yesterday - police called to a local neighborhood at 7:45 in the morning on a report of an intoxicated person threatening people with a metal object. After investigating, charges are pending against a 33-year-old woman for assault in the 5th degree."

Can't beat being drunk at 7:45 in the morning. Ah, the good old days.

Top Bottom