10 Burning BT Questions for 2019 (Will PJ Fleck take a step forward at Minnesota?)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Nivision:

Will PJ Fleck take a step forward at Minnesota?

After a 13-1 season at Western Michigan in 2016, Minnesota hired P.J. Fleck in hopes that he could help the Golden Gophers division titles at the very least. That hasn’t happened in the first couple of years — though Minnesota did win Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in 2018. Year 3 will be a telling one for Fleck as he tries to push the Golden Gophers to the top of the Big Ten West, a division that should be up for grabs in 2019.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...te-Michigan-Penn-State-130596530/#130596530_1

Go Gophers!!

per Nivision:

Will PJ Fleck take a step forward at Minnesota?

After a 13-1 season at Western Michigan in 2016, Minnesota hired P.J. Fleck in hopes that he could help the Golden Gophers division titles at the very least. That hasn’t happened in the first couple of years — though Minnesota did win Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in 2018. Year 3 will be a telling one for Fleck as he tries to push the Golden Gophers to the top of the Big Ten West, a division that should be up for grabs in 2019.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...te-Michigan-Penn-State-130596530/#130596530_1

Go Gophers!!

I don't think anyone thought it WOULD happen in the first couple of years.

Whenever I think of the west, I have the same two thoughts in quick succession: The Gophers are now good enough to dream of winning it. And... Nebraska was coming on strong, Brohm is everyone's coaching darling, Wisconsin probably will remain as tough as ever, Iowa is improving, Northwestern is nearly always scary, and Illinois could get good fast with the right coach. Aside from Illinois, there are a LOT of challenges for the Gophers to overcome to get themselves to the top.

Whenever I think of the west, I have the same two thoughts in quick succession: The Gophers are now good enough to dream of winning it. And... Nebraska was coming on strong, Brohm is everyone's coaching darling, Wisconsin probably will remain as tough as ever, Iowa is improving, Northwestern is nearly always scary, and Illinois could get good fast with the right coach. Aside from Illinois, there are a LOT of challenges for the Gophers to overcome to get themselves to the top.

Came close in 2014.

Shrugs, I want them to get there because they're good, not because they're ok and everyone else stinks

That actually helps our chances though. Because anyone can knock anyone else off. Our chances to get to 6-3 are obviously much better than 9-0 in the B1G. So we need 6-3 to be enough to win it...

Shrugs, I want them to get there because they're good, not because they're ok and everyone else stinks

It’s worked for Wisconsin some years.

The time is right for a championship run. Wisconsin is trending down and lost some key pieces to boot. Nebraska was trending up at the end of the year but not hitting on all cylinders yet. Purdue has question marks at QB and have an offensive identity. Illinois is still mediocre at best. Northwestern will be a question mark but can be counted on to be gritty (and starting the high rated transfer QB).

MN is trending up and should have a dominant run game, particularly with the big IMG guys plowing the road. We have a competent pass game to keep teams honest. The defense has more talent on paper than it’s had for a long time. Chili should be hot...

Top Bottom