All things preseason QB spat 2019 (with video highlights)

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I didn’t want to pollute the spring thread with any more QB talk. To get the arguing started I’ve compiled the always nice highlight reel of each individuals 2018 campaign. Highlight reels can be misleading...but for those that can’t make spring practice it is nice to compare them “side by side”. Which looks like the most ready to lead the team to a successful 2019?

I forgot how nice Bateman looked last year - those Indiana and Illinois games were refreshing. He’ll be a dominant force.

Let’s get started

Cole Kramer

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5655002/5c09e9cc9a90fb0b2043fd37' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jacob Clark

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7448372/5bfb3c635b478907901e41ce' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tanner Morgan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j364aV1UJDY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n_lvAYlKye4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKFPavriGD0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zach Annexstad

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tkCEPmYoIFA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9fzE0DgoCSA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D9lzAgJzPX8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Nice highlights all around. No doubt the Wisconsin game stood out! Hoping that we can stretch the field a bit this fall in the passing game. That would really open up the running game in my opinion. Really believe we have weapons all around including the line to do their job along with the defense.

Looks to me like both of their mechanics need some work to get up to Clark’s level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like both of their mechanics need some work to get up to Clark’s level.

You know what Morgan has over the other guys? BIG TEN WINS!

I like Morgan. I like Annexstad. I like Clark. I don't have a strong opinion on Kramer as a player.

The last time I felt this good about our QB situation? Never, probably.

Always been a "if he takes the next step" well now there are 2/3/4 guys who can take that step or play when someone is injured or push the competition. All seem like good kids as well, which is important when only one can play at a time (or we have a starting backfield of Clark, Kramer, Annexstad and Morgan. Modern day 4 horsemen where you only throw instead of only run!!)

Kramer doesn't look too bad... I love Clark's anticipation. Long gone are the days of a QB rushing for 35 times and passing 7 times.

Kramer doesn't look too bad... I love Clark's anticipation. Long gone are the days of a QB rushing for 35 times and passing 7 times.

GOOD!!!! When the QB sneak or the QB draw is your go to play 35 times in one game it's time to come up with a different offense!!!!

GOOD!!!! When the QB sneak or the QB draw is your go to play 35 times in one game it's time to come up with a different offense!!!!

Or a different head coach.

I think it'll be Morgan, but I like our depth

If Morgan is beat, I feel comfortable knowing we have a back up that can win

I just fell in love with the throwing motion of Cole Kramer. How that translates, I have no idea! Lots of options, and by options, I mean good options. Go Gophers!

I like Jacob Clark's arm talent, but those are high school videos.

All I know is Captain Morgan is the best rated QB in school history doing all his work against Big Ten/P5 competition. Was one of the top rated QBs nationally. Got back the Axe. Won a bowl. As a Freshman. It's an awfully stone cold move if he doesn't start 2019.

What I like most about Morgan is he doesn’t typically do things to cost his team the game. I love long, sustained drives that wear down a defense and eat clock. Morgan was able to do that all game long against GT without a single costly mistake, and never punting throughout the game. And there’s the epic 9 minute drive in the 2nd half against Wisconsin. Of course, they have to be able to make big throws occasionally to keep those drives going, and he proved capable of that too. I have a hard time imagining PJ going in a different direction.

I don't expect Cole Kramer to be the starter in 2019, but that young man has a very, very impressive highlight reel.*

* Note: High school highlight reels are to be viewed with a large dose of skepticism.

I don't expect Cole Kramer to be the starter in 2019, but that young man has a very, very impressive highlight reel.*

* Note: High school highlight reels are to be viewed with a large dose of skepticism.

I agree 100%. What I really like about him is that he steps into every throw. I like our current guys just find, but they both throw way too many balls off their back foot. Drives me crazy!

I agree 100%. What I really like about him is that he steps into every throw. I like our current guys just find, but they both throw way too many balls off their back foot. Drives me crazy!

Yeah. Kramer has a stronger arm and quicker release than I expected. He can fire it pretty good.

The thing that really stood out to me was his cool demeanor under pressure. Heck, I guess I was surprised that he even got as much pressure as the highlight film shows; I suppose I expected Eden Prairie to have an offensive line that kept their QB virtually untouched. But in reality, Kramer faces a fair amount of rush pressure (both up the middle and from the outside) in this highlight reel — yet he seems pretty unflappable.

He moves around nimbly in the pocket, "climbs the ladder", and does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield. And delivers strike after strike.

Impressive!

I echo most...we seem to be in a nice place with our QB options. Kramer's highlight video was excellent, better than I would have guessed. Clark throws pretty and stands tall in the pocket under duress. Morgan was superb as a freshman and the staff thought Zack was the better option. How long is the leash for whoever emerges as the starter with the quality backups barking at his heels? Are those four guys here in 2020?

We should be good! QB's who can pass, nice running back depth, emerging best ever oline last10 years, great best ever WR depth, best TE ever waiting in the wings (Maxx who?)...wow!!....who are these guys?

I echo most...we seem to be in a nice place with our QB options. Kramer's highlight video was excellent, better than I would have guessed. Clark throws pretty and stands tall in the pocket under duress. Morgan was superb as a freshman and the staff thought Zack was the better option. How long is the leash for whoever emerges as the starter with the quality backups barking at his heels? Are those four guys here in 2020?

We should be good! QB's who can pass, nice running back depth, emerging best ever oline last10 years, great best ever WR depth, best TE ever waiting in the wings (Maxx who?)...wow!!....who are these guys?

If Brevyn Spann Ford ends up being better than Maxx Williams, I’ll eat my hat.

If Brevyn Spann Ford ends up being better than Maxx Williams, I’ll eat my hat.

Not only that, but "best TE ever" is a pretty ridiculous prediction when this school also produced Charlie Sanders, Keith Fahnhorst, Matt Spaeth and Ben Utecht among many others.

Cole Kramer looks like a young Drew Breese. Well...maybe, except for the birthmark on the cheek part.
Color me optimistic.

Sigh- some of u never understand sarcasm

And clearly you ddin't understand my post was a joke either.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I just fell in love with the throwing motion of Cole Kramer. How that translates, I have no idea! Lots of options, and by options, I mean good options. Go Gophers!
I agree. Kramer looks surprisingly good.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Kramer has a stronger arm and quicker release than I expected. He can fire it pretty good.

The thing that really stood out to me was his cool demeanor under pressure. Heck, I guess I was surprised that he even got as much pressure as the highlight film shows; I suppose I expected Eden Prairie to have an offensive line that kept their QB virtually untouched. But in reality, Kramer faces a fair amount of rush pressure (both up the middle and from the outside) in this highlight reel — yet he seems pretty unflappable.

He moves around nimbly in the pocket, "climbs the ladder", and does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield. And delivers strike after strike.

Impressive!

In the first open practice, he looked pretty shaky on about half his drills, footwork was very average, and his long throws were the least impressive. Annexstad had the quickest release.

In the first open practice, he looked pretty shaky on about half his drills, footwork was very average, and his long throws were the least impressive. Annexstad had the quickest release.

ZA's got a real nice touch and deadly accurate on the short passes. It's the longer passes that seem to be difficult for him. I'm hoping with our WR depth, and stout OL that he gets a chance to throw further down-field. Last year, he got that chance a few times with very limited success.

Yeah, that's what everyone who saw practice is saying.

Going from high school to the B1G is a huge step up.

Really good question, “who will be around for the 2020 season?” Any bets?

Top Bottom